Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The viletat!

I was a 25F (replaced by 25N after I got out). I should have gone satellite, but my brother in law was a career 25S, and I'd be loving goddamned if I was going to let him think he could give me advice on one solitary loving thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo, that tat brings some memories back :v:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Sayian kid is one of the 50FA/Humper Monkey stories iirc

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

PookBear posted:

was his name sean smith?

I want to say his name started with a “B” but can’t remember. Also pretty sure the tattoo was on his back.

I have seen that picture somewhere before though.

Edit: should have read the replies before posting, no SHADOWBLADE wasn’t VileRat

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ASAPI posted:

I want to say his name started with a “B” but can’t remember. Also pretty sure the tattoo was on his back.

I have seen that picture somewhere before though.

I was going to post the SAcolopedia entry to Viletat but how the gently caress is there not an entry for viletat? Also the goonwiki entry requires login for that page which is extra stupid.

Anyway that's ex-dnd mod Vilerat's kickin rad tattoo. There was a whole hubub about it.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LOLWTF

Is that a San Diego Chargers bolt armband?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Robert Facepalmer posted:

LOLWTF

Is that a San Diego Chargers bolt armband?

Yeah, he was a Chargers fan

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

vilerat was a land of contrasts

the palest arms and the most vibrant blues

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PookBear posted:

was his name sean smith?

No, his name is SHADOWBLADE.

Also yeah, the old timers in 447 called it D Block and some had been there for literal years, like this little tiny Puerto Rican dude with a gimp leg or something.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

TK-42-1 posted:

vilerat was a land of contrasts

the palest arms and the most vibrant blues

I still have him on my friends list on FB. Miss you buddy.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I happened to be at an American Legion post during Legacy Vision, the 100th anniversary, and there was this guy who wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Benghazi and "the democrats" and "what the victims would've wanted". I took him aside and asked him to tone it down and he got all pissed off and accused me of being "one of them". I told him, no, I just hated hearing about that kinda poo poo because I knew someone who died there. He rolled his eyes at me, so I pulled out my phone and showed him, no really, vilerat and I went to the same community, and he's dearly missed by everyone there, and maybe please stop being such an rear end in a top hat. He kinda deflated and mumbled some aw-shucks poo poo about being sorry and shuffled off to his table and spent the rest of the event in silence.

I never knew vilerat myself, but I think he'd be pretty okay with me shutting down idiots like that who are trying to use him as a cudgel.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kith posted:

I happened to be at an American Legion post during Legacy Vision, the 100th anniversary, and there was this guy who wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Benghazi and "the democrats" and "what the victims would've wanted". I took him aside and asked him to tone it down and he got all pissed off and accused me of being "one of them". I told him, no, I just hated hearing about that kinda poo poo because I knew someone who died there. He rolled his eyes at me, so I pulled out my phone and showed him, no really, vilerat and I went to the same community, and he's dearly missed by everyone there, and maybe please stop being such an rear end in a top hat. He kinda deflated and mumbled some aw-shucks poo poo about being sorry and shuffled off to his table and spent the rest of the event in silence.

I never knew vilerat myself, but I think he'd be pretty okay with me shutting down idiots like that who are trying to use him as a cudgel.

I played EVE with him for a couple of years, and met him in Reykjavik in 2012. I didn't know him that well, but he would have loved that you shut down that idiot.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Vilerat told.me he would LOVE IT if i would bring my sleipnir or claymore to a sniping t1 cruisers fleet and he would make sure i was covered if it went down. Only time i interacted with him but we took a carrier playing dock games with us into deep structure in IRC space. It was a great fleet

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kith posted:

I've mentioned his name a few times, not in this context, but definitely about how sad it made me seeing his mom go full rightwing psycho a few years after she asked people not to politicize her son's death

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GD_American posted:

We didn't play with those (Marines? USAF? Can't remember). I was in an AN/TTC-47 (Node Center, Echelon Corps Below), but I'm sure the suck was similar.

Only the DoD could buy its own proprietary digital voice and data network....in 1989.

(For those non-Signal folks, this was MSE, Mobile Subscriber Equipment. Switches and phone hookups in humvee shelters. They tried keeping it limping it along for years by attaching commercial routers, but by the time I deployed in 2004 it was already laughably obsolete.)

Lol, I remember the MSE being one of those things that everyone wanted to die it's final death.

When I got out the

GD_American posted:

I've mentioned his name a few times, not in this context, but definitely about how sad it made me seeing his mom go full rightwing psycho a few years after she asked people not to politicize her son's death

Yeah, and they just kept shoving her in front of every mic and camera possible, which I think made it even worse thanks to the audience it gathered.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PathAsc posted:

Yeah, and they just kept shoving her in front of every mic and camera possible, which I think made it even worse thanks to the audience it gathered.

She's old and may need the money. He's gone so why not profit off of it? I assume the worse out of everyone until proven otherwise.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Crab Dad posted:

She's old and may need the money. He's gone so why not profit off of it? I assume the worse out of everyone until proven otherwise.

I guess I just don't really believe they paid her, either way it sucks to see.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I also imagine she was getting heaped with praise for her son's sacrifice, and how great he was and that the Democrats got him killed.

I can see how it would be easy for grieving family to fall into that.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
A grieving mother lashing out about her son being killed on a diplomatic assignment? What the gently caress else would she do? The people who are putting her in front of the cameras are also the ones telling her that her grief and anger are warranted - that she was wronged and that if she wants the people responsible to be taken to task she needs to speak out.

That the right wing media has continually pumped and revisited her grief doesn't make it any less legitimate or sad. It makes all those pundits and producers scum fucks for taking advantage of someone's loss for their own purposes

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 4, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I mean it's obvious both that HRC wasn't responsible for Benghazi, and that she's never been held responsible for any the things she actually did do, and I can see how a grieving family member would find it easier to forget the first part.

It's still sad. Imagine if Pat Tillman's brother had gone from telling all the ghouls to gently caress off, to campaigning for McCain in '08.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What did she do again? Totally forgot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Have the last name Clinton.

Seriously people are loving brain broke over a career politician.

She sucks just as much as Biden or AOC on terms of being a succdem, but otherwise :effort:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Mark of Clinton - Card type: Conspiracy - multiply all political damage by 2.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

What did she do again? Totally forgot.

Was Secretary of State when Benghazi happened.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Wasabi the J posted:

Have the last name Clinton.

Seriously people are loving brain broke over a career politician.

She sucks just as much as Biden or AOC on terms of being a succdem, but otherwise :effort:

Wait, AOC is a succdem now?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flikken posted:

:aochloe:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Flikken posted:

If you're a terminally online cspammer, yes, but anyone that isn't building a guillotine right now is a succdem to that crowd.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Eh I might be getting a bit too acerbic, as she's only a junior congresswoman and facing insurmountable pressure while the old guard have made with clear they're also not a fan of her.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flikken posted:

Everyone is a succdem to people who use the word "succdem".

Wasabi the J posted:

Eh I might be getting a bit too acerbic, as she's only a junior congresswoman and facing insurmountable pressure while the old guard have made with clear they're also not a fan of her.

Yeah, they hate her so much they gave her an important position on the House Oversight Committee.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
AOC made a couple gestures to somewhat fall into line with the DNC recently, which I'm not a fan of. I dunno if it means she's going to just sell out or this is the only route she could have taken to rise, time will tell I guess.

She's clearly much more ambitious than say, Bernie, who as much as I love that he stuck to his principles he hasn't ever done anything on a national scale until very recently, unlike what she will probably be able to do. The question is if she actually will do it if she gets the chance.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Can we skip whatever dick dance is starting and get back to basics, like this PFC PFCin' back from 1945.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

why don't people have weird and funny lookin faces like that anymore

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wrr posted:

Less fetal alcohol syndrome

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Vaccines

Antibiotics

Nutrition

Crippling depression

An image obsessed culture and a variety of experts who will take parents' money to reshape children bone structure for cosmetic reasons under the pretense of health.

Anesthesia

Access to cameras

Edit: I don't think he has a weird face, but I probably have a weird face.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

AOC made a couple gestures to somewhat fall into line with the DNC recently, which I'm not a fan of. I dunno if it means she's going to just sell out or this is the only route she could have taken to rise, time will tell I guess.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wrr posted:

Less in breeding

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wrr posted:

I’m sure you’d find plenty in Alabama and MS :haw:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

piL posted:

Edit: I don't think he has a weird face, but I probably have a weird face.

No, as far as weird old timey faces go his is fairly normal.

Several of the rest of those suggestions fit in well with theories around the effects of Neoliberalism recreating every facet of its subjects' existence in its own image tho :tinfoil:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wrr posted:

Turn off your monitor and look again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Wrr posted:

No, as far as weird old timey faces go his is fairly normal.

Several of the rest of those suggestions fit in well with theories around the effects of Neoliberalism recreating every facet of its subjects' existence in its own image tho :tinfoil:

Come again?