Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's a Barrett .50, right? I've never fired one - what kind of pressure wave would you expect to get off of that thing, because whatever it is it's going straight down that dude's poop chute and that can't be comfortable.

It’s definitely an AR pattern, probably 7.62 since the mag isn’t curved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Nv, thought I was on the last page

Vengarr posted:

You served in the same unit as Abu Hajar?

Glad someone finally recognizes my service in ISIS’s mechanized infantry is just as valid as anyone else’s, nobody will give me military discounts at Arby’s

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Nv, thought I was on the last page

Glad someone finally recognizes my service in ISIS’s mechanized infantry is just as valid as anyone else’s, nobody will give me military discounts at Arby’s

Abu Hajar acquitted himself better than many American Troops I've seen. If he can roll his way into one, he should get a discount at Arby's.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
We were moving from A to B and the radio lit up with screaming and chaos. Vehicle in front of ours stopped and dude popped out and ran away screaming and smoking.

Turned out it was just so hot that the fire extinguisher burst. The pop and resulting cloud caused those dudes to freak out. One of the funniest things I've ever seen! Driver fleeing top speed trailing white clouds, it was a drat cartoon!

I am a bad person, those dudes probably need pysch.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s definitely an AR pattern, probably 7.62 since the mag isn’t curved.

No problem, my near-total ignorance of firearms can be the subject of mockery for a while yet.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I worked a gun range that had a rental Deagle in Gold Tiger Stripe. After being a Range Safety for a renter firing it, I told them to quit charging by the box, because nearly no one fired more than a mag through it.

We went from charging 30$ a box to 20$ a mag.

Still rented so much it was clapped out within 2 years.

I’m sorry in advance, but how is your mom these days?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Anil Dikshit posted:

I’m sorry in advance, but how is your mom these days?

Running 2 for 1 Western Grip Handjobs down by Howard's last I saw her.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I think I've seen that before, and if I recall someone claimed it was airsoft. Otherwise, ouch.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think I've seen that before, and if I recall someone claimed it was airsoft. Otherwise, ouch.

If it's not airsoft, it's staged. Gear is too clean, uniforms too nice, weapons don't have wear.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

No junk in this trunk :smug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I would rent a Deagle once probably. Just cause, and drat the practicality.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I would rent a Deagle once probably. Just cause, and drat the practicality.

Agent Smith easily one-handing a Deagle in the first Matrix movie would make me wonder what it would be like to actually do it (just once, mind), but that’s about as far as my curiosity goes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Only time I fired one was at a public outdoor range, guy next to me had one and saw me ogling it and let me shoot it.

I’ve got a Ruger Super Blackhawk and that’s bad enough, I have no urge to shoot .50AE.

I do want a Bren Ten, though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Agent Smith easily one-handing a Deagle in the first Matrix movie would make me wonder what it would be like to actually do it (just once, mind), but that’s about as far as my curiosity goes.

It's not difficult if you have experience shooting and know what you are getting in to. Similar to shooting a 12g one handed.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I shot a .357 desert eagle and it was surprisingly pleasant.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://youtu.be/cB-r352j2FI

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Years back I worked in a shop with a guy who went out of his way to let guns define his personality. He owned a .50AE but it wasn't enough for such a manly man, so he rented a .500 mag pistol one of the times we went shooting. Unless you're in a cartel and need something super ostentatious to flex on your brethren, the best way to shoot those caibres is on someone else's dollar.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is there a difference between .50 and .500?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is there a difference between .50 and .500?

Yeah. .50AE case length is about 1.3”, and about 1500 ft-lbs at the muzzle. .500 is a longer case (about 1.6”) and insane at 2800.

By comparison anything out of an M16 is about 1300 ft-lbs. .500 has more muzzle energy than a loving M240 but in a barrel that’s only a few inches long.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jesus.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Basically the .500 exists to kill cars, engine blocks, that pesky feeling your dick is too small, bears, the tree behind the bear, etc.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Basically the .500 exists to kill cars, engine blocks, that pesky feeling your dick is too small, bears, the tree behind the bear, etc.

cans of gravy and nacho cheese...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In the probably rare occurrence where you would need to do that. Otherwise you’re just carrying around a 4.5lb handgun for shits and giggles.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah. .50AE case length is about 1.3”, and about 1500 ft-lbs at the muzzle. .500 is a longer case (about 1.6”) and insane at 2800.

By comparison anything out of an M16 is about 1300 ft-lbs. .500 has more muzzle energy than a loving M240 but in a barrel that’s only a few inches long.

Also on .500 it is energy that is rapidly dwindling by the meter after leaving the said barrel, so it is like 500% compensation. Its almost like powering a laser with a nuclear power plant without giving a thought to the physics around energy dissipation per unit of range traveled.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

not caring here posted:

I shot a .357 desert eagle and it was surprisingly pleasant.

The .50AE felt like it would be pretty okay in a smaller calibre, so that makes sense :v:

Not that I'd ever buy one, heh.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Casimir Radon posted:

In the probably rare occurrence where you would need to do that. Otherwise you’re just carrying around a 4.5lb handgun for shits and giggles.

I thought about getting one when I lived in Alaska to replace my 12 gauge when hiking/camping. But I figured I'd probably only get 1 shot off if I needed it on a charging bear, so I might as well go with something I could shoulder.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Phanatic posted:

Also no buffer of any kind (except your wrists I guess)

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My fists punch as hard as a 25mm cannon so I don't need anything else. Registered deadly weapons

Also my wrists hurt from owning noobs on pubg so much *slams bang energy drink*

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

That was probably the cutest, most harmless military idiocy ever posted in this thread.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Xakura posted:

No, it is desirable. Think about where that heat is (inside the case, exploding) and where it wants to go (any metal part around it, heating it up). Insulating that and chucking the case thus makes sure less heat gets transferred to the gun.

This is in fact one of the major drawbacks of caseless, you get a major increase in heat by not insulating, and not tossing hot cases out of the gun.

Cheers. I think I was getting confused with caseless.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I’ve fired a .500 from a revolver with an absurd 7 inch barrel at a range.

On the advice of the gun store guy we only bought one round per person and it was a wise choice.

It’s not good for anything other than saying you fired it

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’ve fired a .500 from a revolver with an absurd 7 inch barrel at a range.

On the advice of the gun store guy we only bought one round per person and it was a wise choice.

It’s not good for anything other than saying you fired it

I’ve shot the S&W 500ES, which is the same pistol, but with orange grips and a two and three-quarter inch barrel.

It’s a better flamethrower than it is a pistol.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Bonus fun of potentially losing fingers if you fire it and have your hands near the cylinder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I shot a Desert Eagle and yeah one round was enough, that was ridiculous. Ironically, I was at the range last week and an older gentlemen was inquiring about .50 cal handgun ammo, while leaning on his walker. And I was fairly certain from his appearance he shouldn't be shooting .45 let along .50.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bonus fun of potentially losing fingers if you fire it and have your hands near the cylinder.

They also have a tendency to squeeze out a surprise second round via the effect of recoil and having your finger on the trigger in just the right way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4OE78spknk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHvoXvHnwzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5FBPKz9rNI

Indoor range ceilings beware.

(peep this one at 2:40, brain genius shooting spicy custom 700gr lipstick tube loads)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbNazjkt-uE&t=160s
https://www.underwoodammo.com/500-s-w-magnum-700-grain-lead-wide-flat-nose-gas-check.html
The ammunition manufacturer's website recommends not loading more than 1 at a time, not because of accidentally discharging a second round, but from the recoil loosening up the case crimp and turning the cylinder into a mini pipe bomb.

Contrast that to a guntuber having his mom shoot his .500 and after every shot she says "its not that bad", because he was definitely talking it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krmcdz7QWe8

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I've got a S&W 500 and fwiw I enjoy the poo poo out of it, but I do tend to take a few of my firearms when I go out to practice/train or shoot for fun. I've only had the double discharge once, and honestly it was when I hadn't shot it in a while due to travel and I think got lazy about my grip.

I've had two people injure themselves on it: one had terrible grip and cut their hand by putting it where they shouldn't have and let loose a round before I could get "stop" out of my mouth, they're lucky they didn't get the blast from the chamber into at least one finger and I still don't know exactly how that was avoided. The other had extremely poor grip and the barrel flipped into their forehead and cut good and deep.

I've got one actual use case where I carry it, but other than that it's the gun take out to put big holes in things and evaporate water bottles and just focus on good form with something that is going to punish you over a full wheel.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

PathAsc posted:

I've got one actual use case where I carry it

:allears:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Hey now, don't be a smartass. It's for when he travels back in time to fight in the Dino Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's all revolvers p much.