Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You gotta share pics.

Video transcript: video opens on naked feet bracketing a glowing baby food jar in the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Anil Dikshit posted:

Video transcript: video opens on naked feet bracketing a glowing baby food jar in the floor.

I thought we agreed not to talk about Lowtax any more.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I thought we agreed not to talk about Lowtax any more.

Lol

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Genesplicer posted:

Yep, that's me. I have far too much radioactive material. To the point where, if my house collapses in an earthquake or burns in a fire, It will technically be a toxic waste site. Sitting on my desk at school, a couple of feet from me, is an aircraft compass with radium paint. It is facing a Geiger counter that is mounted to the wall, which is quietly clicking away.

I wanna be like you when I grow up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I just have one above-background piece but really dig the irony of a uranium glass oil lantern

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I have way more Radioisotopes than I need to be sure, but I bet Genesplicer has me beat.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CommieGIR posted:

I have way more Radioisotopes than I need to be sure, but I bet Genesplicer has me beat.

What ... do you *need* radioisotopes for?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Superpowers, duh.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Lead out in cuffs posted:

makes geiger counter go click at different rates

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I dunno, Merit Badges ‘n stuff

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 12, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Post your radium jar please

Is that where Jeffrey puts the old code?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Casimir Radon posted:

I dunno, Merit Badges ‘n stuff

That's meth, not mendelevium.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I do Nuclear Science and Energy outreach at schools, as I attended school for Physics and was doing fuels research. So I have some various samples to demo to students.

I also collect Radioactive antiques like Fiestaware and Uranium Glass.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Phanatic posted:

That's meth, not mendelevium.

No! That is radiation! Dude was a boy scout who got REALLY into radiation for a merit badge. Apparently, he died a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Nah, he also did a large amount of meth later in life, when that mugshot was taken.

Radiation doesn't generally lead to point-like lesions.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That picture is also like 10 years before his death.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Radioactive Meth

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Flashing back to gunchat for a moment, why haven't any manufacturers introduced a new low-pressure .50 cartridge? Idiots would be able to say "It's fifty-cal :smug: :badass:" while having something with manageable recoil and you'd be able to use lighter/cheaper components in the gun (pure profit).

Sure nerds would be all 'feet per second' this and 'foot-pounds' that, but Real Men would know that it's fifty calibre and just the shockwave of it going past will blow a man in half.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Because the point of a 50 cal is to have the huge boom and the huge recoil to prove how tough and awesome you are.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

Flashing back to gunchat for a moment, why haven't any manufacturers introduced a new low-pressure .50 cartridge? Idiots would be able to say "It's fifty-cal :smug: :badass:" while having something with manageable recoil and you'd be able to use lighter/cheaper components in the gun (pure profit).

Sure nerds would be all 'feet per second' this and 'foot-pounds' that, but Real Men would know that it's fifty calibre and just the shockwave of it going past will blow a man in half.

They do, you can get a .50 caliber black powder rifle for like $200 dollars

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Those same idiots would load regular .50 cartridges into the guns designed for the light version.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Typically you'd engineer the cartridge such that guns chambered for it couldn't chamber the larger cartridge, but that also wouldn't stop the dedicated idiot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ponzicar posted:

Those same idiots would load regular .50 cartridges into the guns designed for the light version.

I don't mean making soft-loaded .50 AE rounds, O mean creating the new .50 Asskicker cartridge with unique case dimensions.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Valley Stared posted:

No! That is radiation!

No, I know who the guy is, but radiation doesn't make your face look like that. A heavy meth habit does. Hahn's death had nothing to do with his backyard experiments as a kid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=met...iw=1535&bih=909

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't mean making soft-loaded .50 AE rounds, O mean creating the new .50 Asskicker cartridge with unique case dimensions.

Isn't that just .50AE? Or .50 Beowulf? Or .510 Whisper?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 13, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Valley Stared posted:

No! That is radiation! Dude was a boy scout who got REALLY into radiation for a merit badge. Apparently, he died a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

lol he joined the Navy undesignated. Thread mascot.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I mean, three hours ago I paid full asking price for a used Chevy, so I guess it takes one to know one

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Phanatic posted:

I think .50 GI is the poster child example.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

My thought was: Start with .50 AE. Remove half the powder, seat the bullet a bit deeper so the overall cartridge length is a couple of mm shorter and can't be interchanged. Write some marketing guff about your proprietary Turbomurder projectile ("the lovely secondhand tooling we bought can't cut rifling worth a drat" -> "the projectile tumbles inside the target creating a unique curved wound profile for enhanced lethality "). Come up with a suitably ridiculous name - .50 Bullfucker or .50 Spartan-Patriot or something. Profit.

Edit: Ideally it would be .55 calibre, but I think that's illegal in the US.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 13, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the problem is you'd need a new pistol that can fire that load without causing the gun to gently caress up and not cycle properly.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CommieGIR posted:

I do Nuclear Science and Energy outreach at schools, as I attended school for Physics and was doing fuels research. So I have some various samples to demo to students.

I also collect Radioactive antiques like Fiestaware and Uranium Glass.

Oh yeah, that's pretty cool actually.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

GD_American posted:

lol he joined the Navy undesignated. Thread mascot.

Is it normal to do four years in the navy and only go from E-3 to E-4?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Scratch Monkey posted:

Is it normal to do four years in the navy and only go from E-3 to E-4?

Nothing strange about that. I know plenty of guys who then made E5 after 6 years and stayed there for 6 more.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Crab Dad posted:

Nothing strange about that. I know plenty of guys who then made E5 after 6 years and stayed there for 6 more.

please dont doxx me

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 18, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

please dont doxx me

yeah but you a coasty. a strange and unique species infrequently seen by Navy sailors. My coast guard buddy made chief at 18 years and was happy as a clam then promptly retired like two years later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

US Berder Patrol posted:

lol Fiestaware owns, my gen chem prof brought out a chipdipper out to show us how hot it was at lecture

It really is, Stangl is EVEN MORE HOT because they glazed it unevenly versus Fiestaware. I have a couple Stangl pieces as well, and its often almost double the cpm.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We use fiestaware and gas lantern mantles for radiation training at work. The lantern mantles always get a real response from the new people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Source4Leko posted:

We use fiestaware and gas lantern mantles for radiation training at work. The lantern mantles always get a real response from the new people.

I have a Thorium Dioxide power sample that provides the same effect, since that's what is in the lantern. My favorite for spooking people is "Anti-5G/Negative Ion" health woo crap, because people don't realize that usually means its got either a little or a lot of some radioisotope, usually Thorium.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I have a Thorium Dioxide power sample that provides the same effect, since that's what is in the lantern. My favorite for spooking people is "Anti-5G/Negative Ion" health woo crap, because people don't realize that usually means its got either a little or a lot of some radioisotope, usually Thorium.

how many fiestaware dishes do i have to cover myself with for the radiation to be an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

how many fiestaware dishes do i have to cover myself with for the radiation to be an issue?

I mean, prolonged exposure or consumption is the issue really. Don't hug them 24/7 and you are fine. Most of the radiation is Alpha/Beta with sparse Gamma. The bigger issue was people being exposed for extended periods or eating off them, chipping off the glaze, and consuming it.

So, you'd have to basically hug it 24/7 for years for it to be an external issue. Consume chips of it though, and that can be a major problem. Part of the big problem of the 30s/40s was Uranium glazed Tile used in Bathrooms and kitchens. So you are standing, sitting, crawling on radioisotopes for long periods of time, for maybe years at a time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_tile

quote:

In most situations, the radiation exposure is not excessive, but there are some exceptions in which pure uranium oxide [which produces red-orange coloration as a glaze] on bathroom floors can pose a hazard for infants crawling around for hours on end, day after day.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 13, 2021