Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Just saw an ad on twitch for the marines where some US city with lots of skyscrapers collapses into rubble as the voiceover tells the audience that they can be a part of protecting against future threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CrazySalamander posted:

Just saw an ad on twitch for the marines where some US city with lots of skyscrapers collapses into rubble as the voiceover tells the audience that they can be a part of protecting against future threats.

Caligula, ordering the legions to fight the Sea.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

CrazySalamander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9gTAjbiQEM

From the dizzying heights of fighting evil wizards and fire elementals to... this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Punished Ape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9gTAjbiQEM

From the dizzying heights of fighting evil wizards and fire elementals to... this.

Curious if anyone can identify the ship that they hit at the end of the clip. I can only assume it's lol worthy no matter what it turns out to be.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“This is what we’ll do if you ban us from juicy bars.”

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Curious if anyone can identify the ship that they hit at the end of the clip. I can only assume it's lol worthy no matter what it turns out to be.

I'm not a professional ship-knower, but it bears some resemblance to a Sovremenny-class destroyer, a Russian ship also in service with the PLAN.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Volmarias posted:

Looks like a science fiction ship to me

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
No smoke, can't be Russian.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

SerthVarnee posted:

No smoke, can't be Russian.

Well it’s still floating, so obviously it’s not Russian…

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

God bless our Marines for using heavy artillery to blow up a quonset hut.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ah, yes, seeing it zoomed and enhanced like that it's clearly AI generated. Since it's the Marines the prompt was probably "cool bout".

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Wrr posted:

God bless our Marines for using heavy artillery to blow up a quonset hut.

Look if you've had to live in one and knows what goes on in those you'd also call in a fire mission, danger close.

I still remember the smell...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Guest2553 posted:

What's the over/under on MOS? My money's on ammo or MP.

Fuel handler

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

I found myself watching a fair amount of Zoom court over the past year or so, and Judge Simpson is one of my favorites. He's pretty chill, but if you piss him off you're gonna have a bad time.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Old Squishy on YouTube posts a lot of zoom court, and it's always entertaining.

A prosecutor accused a defendant of smoking crack on camera. It was a Bic pen he was tapping on his lip in the waiting room. Lots of people taking court calls in cars.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011
Judge Middleton is another favorite of mine. (The always-amusing "Buttfucker 3000" incident took place in his court.)

My favorite was when two people who had a TPO between them were dialing in from the same fuckin house, and when he told the dude "step outside so I can see the house number" dude was like errr errr my battery's almost dead...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Anathematic posted:

Judge Middleton is another favorite of mine. (The always-amusing "Buttfucker 3000" incident took place in his court.)

My favorite was when two people who had a TPO between them were dialing in from the same fuckin house, and when he told the dude "step outside so I can see the house number" dude was like errr errr my battery's almost dead...

I liked the lawyer whose assistant or maybe kid set up a cat filter on his Zoom, which he didn't realize until he joined a hearing.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I liked the lawyer whose assistant or maybe kid set up a cat filter on his Zoom, which he didn't realize until he joined a hearing.

Didn't that guy get milkshake ducked pretty shortly after that video went viral?

Edit: It was even the title of an article, lol

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Anathematic posted:

(The always-amusing "Buttfucker 3000" incident took place in his court.)

the what

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kith posted:

the what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ErKTq_B1I

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Some SF Colonel shoots up a team of utility company surveyors walking by his property.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-fort-liberty-shooting-ramzan-daraev/

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Now now, we shouldn't let one bad apple make us inspect the whole bunch

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Now now, we shouldn't let one bad apple make us inspect the whole bunch

Fair.

You should just throw out the whole batch.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
A 1st Group commander almost got into a shootout with the cops a year or two ago, can't remember the details of what led up to it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Mass stabbing in Germany. Several bystanders have the stabber down on the ground. Cop shows up, pulls one of the bystanders off the stabber, gets *him* down on the ground, completely ignores the stabber who has gotten up, gets stabbed in the head.

There’s got to be a middle ground between that and acorn cop.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Restraining someone is an active crime. Being restrained is not an active crime. The Rules say you have to stop active crimes before you can investigate other potential crimes. You gotta do it by the book.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

spacetoaster posted:

Some SF Colonel shoots up a team of utility company surveyors walking by his property.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-fort-liberty-shooting-ramzan-daraev/

Sums up the American Dream…

“from article” posted:

“Ramzan left Russia, not realizing that the greatest injustice against him would be done in a free country, where, in theory, he should have received protection,” the family writes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Fair.

You should just throw out the whole batch.

Looks like the Navy's going to have to get rid of all its admirals, then.

DOJ posted:

A retired Navy Admiral and two business executives were arrested today on criminal charges related to their roles in a bribery scheme that involved a U.S. government contract.

As alleged in an indictment unsealed today, from 2020 to 2022, Robert Burke, 62, of Coconut Creek, Florida, was a four-star Admiral who oversaw Naval operations in Europe, Russia, and most of Africa, and commanded thousands of civilian and military personnel. Yongchul “Charlie” Kim and Meghan Messenger, both of New York, are the co-CEOs of a company (Company A) that provided a workforce training pilot program to a small component of the Navy from August 2018 through July 2019. The Navy terminated a contract with Company A in late 2019 and directed Company A not to contact Burke.

Despite the Navy’s instructions, Kim and Messenger then allegedly met with Burke in Washington, D.C., in July 2021 in an effort to reestablish Company A’s business relationship with the Navy. At the meeting, the charged defendants allegedly agreed that Burke would use his position as a Navy Admiral to steer a sole-source contract to Company A in exchange for future employment at the company. They allegedly further agreed that Burke would use his official position to influence other Navy officers to award another contract to Company A to train a large portion of the Navy with a value Kim allegedly estimated to be “triple digit millions.”

In furtherance of the conspiracy, in December 2021, Burke allegedly ordered his staff to award a $355,000 contract to Company A to train personnel under Burke’s command in Italy and Spain. Company A performed the training in January 2022. Thereafter, Burke allegedly promoted Company A in a failed effort to convince a senior Navy Admiral to award another contract to Company A. To conceal the scheme, Burke allegedly made several false and misleading statements to the Navy, including by creating the false appearance that Burke played no role in issuing the contract and falsely implying that Company A’s employment discussions with Burke only began months after the contract was awarded.

In October 2022, Burke began working at Company A at a yearly starting salary of $500,000 and a grant of 100,000 stock options.

Full press release

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
can someone smarter than me say something about how the retired admiral is clearly identified by name as committing crimes, which also involved persons at "Company A"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ComradePyro posted:

can someone smarter than me say something about how the retired admiral is clearly identified by name as committing crimes, which also involved persons at "Company A"

The company isn't specifically charged in these documents, so its name is left out to prevent defamation. Now if they catch charges or regulatory violations, that can change.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A.o.D. posted:

The company isn't specifically charged in these documents, so its name is left out to prevent defamation. Now if they catch charges or regulatory violations, that can change.

This. But you can also just search the names of the co-CEOs and quickly find the name of the company.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Phanatic posted:

Mass stabbing in Germany. Several bystanders have the stabber down on the ground. Cop shows up, pulls one of the bystanders off the stabber, gets *him* down on the ground, completely ignores the stabber who has gotten up, gets stabbed in the head.

There’s got to be a middle ground between that and acorn cop.

Oh, good, and support for the AfD had just begun to wane
:cripes:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No sympathy for the dumbass.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Kein Mehrheit für die Miliz

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It seems like the Navy has the most corrupt or hosed up higher-ranking officers out of all the services: every few months it seems like there's another scandal. Hell, the Fat Leonard investigation is still going on. Between that and keeping up with the Navy thread as a lurker, man I'm glad I didn't join the Navy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They just seem to be the most vocal about announcing when they actually fire their fuckups.

The army just promotes theirs instead :v:

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

They just seem to be the most vocal about announcing when they actually fire their fuckups.

The army just promotes theirs instead :v:

And naval investigators actually do their job.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah I'd pin it more on Navy officers just get caught more often not necessarily they are more corrupt but who fuckin knows really.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
The Navy has corruption opportunities that the Army could only dream of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m guessing it’d be roughly comparable if an army brigade commander were thousands of miles from the nearest higher command, and unreachable aside from aircraft (where you’d have plenty of warning that a superior is actually on the way).

You’d also have to gently caress up far harder to even get someone to come out and yell at you (my guess).