Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Wyoming is not an example of gerrymandering

Isn’t it something like an State having outsized influence relative to its population? Montana being another one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nystral posted:

Isn’t it something like an State having outsized influence relative to its population? Montana being another one?

That is most definitely not what Gerrymandering is.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Flikken posted:

In fairness, the state boundaries were not designed with the goal of disenfranchising California in the senate but being tribalist mountain shithole tax receivers has ended with that effect, and there's no way they'll hold their own accountable, or vote for themselves to have less outsized power in government.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Flikken posted:

I was referring to Wyoming as an example of an electoral college issue people feel is a failure, not Gerrymandering.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nystral posted:

I was referring to Wyoming as an example of an electoral college issue people feel is a failure, not Gerrymandering.

Yeah, but that's not what people were talking about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nystral posted:

Gerrymandering is redrawing districts in a way that manipulate how your vote within the state counts.

You can turn a majority into a minority and vice versa by drawing districts in such a way that each district has as many people as your party needs to win it. The GOP is especially notorious for this, to the point where several states (like South Carolina) would be far more left-wing if they weren't gerrymandered to hell. To give a real world example, this is what Republicans in Texas did:

With Wyoming, the problem is that every state has to have a minimum of 2 senators to "ensure equality", because some states are so empty that they'd have fewer than 1 vote. But this results in rural areas having their votes counted disproportionately more, giving them far greater influence than they should have in the population. When you do the math, a Wyoming resident has their vote count 57 times more than a resident of California.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 30, 2019

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Wyoming disenfranchises California in the same way LA, SF, and SD disenfranchise the entire rest of the state, or Chicago disenfranchises everybody else in Illinois.

Getting rid of the senate might solve some problems but the whole “only coastal cities matter” thing would rapidly eclipse that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That’s horseshit, land doesn’t vote the last time I looked; rural areas in states are getting representation proportional to their population. Both gerrymandering and the electoral college are examples of the MAUP.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
But u see, if we got rid of electoral college, politicians would only campaign in big cities and ignore all the smaller populations. And the implied message is that they won’t care about the little people or something? Which they totally do care about now

Basically it seems like the people advocating for the electoral college to remain (who aren’t just bog-standard duplicitous scumbags) are people who think that presidential hopefuls visiting rural Iowa once during their campaign and then forgetting they exist is equivalent to actually giving half a poo poo about those people. It’s just falling for bad, low-effort political theater.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 30, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Wyoming disenfranchises California in the same way LA, SF, and SD disenfranchise the entire rest of the state

The rest of the state has lovely politics hth

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I sort of think an interesting solution would be to give the largest cities (assuming you can find a way of fairly classing them as such, since city boundaries/population are arbitrary) Senate seats of their own. Whether or not that involves them becoming independent federal states or some sort of other arrangement who knows, although the tears from downstate Illinois would be ridiculous when they realize they’re basically rural Indiana without Chicago.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
dissolve the Senate

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

EBB posted:

The rest of the state has lovely politics hth

So do the cities though

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Wizard posted:

Wyoming disenfranchises California in the same way LA, SF, and SD disenfranchise the entire rest of the state, or Chicago disenfranchises everybody else in Illinois.

Getting rid of the senate might solve some problems but the whole “only coastal cities matter” thing would rapidly eclipse that.

Coastal cities are where the people are. What you’re actually complaining about is the population disenfranchising dirt.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Remember when the filibuster was destroyed because it benefited the party in power, then the other party took over and it was bad for everything ever since?

If you put all the legislative power in the House, how do you expect that to end differently?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Rural CA is blood red GOP territory. The cities, for whatever faults, don't want children in cages or elimination of a woman's right to choose. I would call that significantly better politics

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Rural CA is blood red GOP territory. The cities, for whatever faults, don't want children in cages or elimination of a woman's right to choose. I would call that significantly better politics

No they just elect their fellow Bay area techbros and/or Nancy "compromise on just a few million more dollars for child cages" Pelosi

chitoryu12 posted:

Coastal cities are where the people are. What youre actually complaining about is the population disenfranchising dirt.

The working class isn't dirt hth

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Internet Wizard posted:

Very few people live on the mostly uninhabited land you are so ignorantly defending you dense motherfucker

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hmm yes the Democrats have indeed elected some bad people and put forth some bad policies but in response we should try not kowtowing to people who think theyre going to be forced to have a gay marriage and are a-ok with extrajudicial murder

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Internet Wizard posted:

yes because there aren't any poor, working class or blue collar people in cities and those that are there should have their votes count less hmmm your argument is both factually correct and totally logical and you in no way deliberately misinterpreted the point about population

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Coastal cities are where the people are. What you’re actually complaining about is the population disenfranchising dirt.

Can we stop with this tired narrative?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Megalopolis
See also the urban parts of Texas, Atlanta, etc.

Yeah, west of the Mississippi is like 95% desolate, but there’s a poo poo ton of people and cities that aren’t on the east/west coasts.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Very few people live on the mostly uninhabited land you are so ignorantly defending you dense motherfucker

So are you intentionally playing along with the right-wing narrative that coastal democrats hate rural America or are you just that dumb.

Is it really hard to understand why people might support a party that tells them comforting lies while screwing them over instead of supporting a party that openly insults and neglects them?

Campaigning in Iowa is a pointless waste of time but like maybe actual tax reform and green initiatives and social welfare programs and public education reform would actually be a cool thing for the democrats to support rather than making noises about and just going along with furthering capitalist exploitation of our natural resources.

Plus cities are a blight on the planet and responsible for an insane amount of the national carbon footprint but let’s keep acting like they’re the best ever

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Internet Wizard posted:

A state with less people having more power than places with more people is exactly the same as regions with more people having more power than regions with less people. I am very smart.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

P sure land or land ownership doesn't guarantee voting rights but do go off.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Eliminate states. Bing bang boom problem solved.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah, west of the Mississippi is like 95% desolate, but there’s a poo poo ton of people and cities that aren’t on the east/west coasts.

Considering Toronto is the biggest city in the Megalopolis, it's not a good comparison.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Internet Wizard posted:

Plus cities are a blight on the planet and responsible for an insane amount of the national carbon footprint but let’s keep acting like they’re the best ever

Cities are actually the lowest per capita environmental footprint of anything by a wide margin. Efficiency of scale. Turns out packing everything together makes things like heating, transportation, and food distribution markedly better

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

So are you intentionally playing along with the right-wing narrative that coastal democrats hate rural America or are you just that dumb.

:words:

What? On a per capita basis cities (at least ones that aren’t Phoenix) have a far lower carbon footprint. You should be looking towards suburbia and sprawling exurbs for the problem there.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

beefnoodle posted:

Considering Toronto is the biggest city in the Megalopolis, it's not a good comparison.

You may have heard of this place called Chicago? Anyway, tally up the US only population and GDP, it’s unquestionably one of the most significant regions of the US.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Flying_Crab posted:

You may have heard of this place called Chicago? Anyway, tally up the US only population and GDP, it’s unquestionably one of the most significant regions of the US.

I'm loving with you. Toronto proper is (surprisingly) bigger than Chicago proper, but the metropolises are of course what you'd expect.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Good point

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

dissolve the Senate

in acid :hmmyes:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flying_Crab posted:

And every single one of those people are equal and should receive equal representation.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Internet Wizard posted:

Is it really hard to understand why people might support a party that tells them comforting lies while screwing them over instead of supporting a party that openly insults and neglects them?

Campaigning in Iowa is a pointless waste of time but like maybe actual tax reform and green initiatives and social welfare programs and public education reform would actually be a cool thing for the democrats to support rather than making noises about and just going along with furthering capitalist exploitation of our natural resources.

Yes make politics stupider.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

And every single one of those people are equal and should receive equal representation.

They sort of do, in the house:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_congressional_districts

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Senate was intended to keep powerful rural interests safe from the urban masses, which if you're building a republic by/of/for wealthy gentleman plantation owners is pretty reasonable, but in our day and age the ultrarural states are essentially rotten boroughs controlled by the same old Wall Street billionaire types.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Nullify the Senate and increase the house. Bing bang boo. So simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Even there, a Rhode Islander is nearly 2 Montanans. The House would need to be way bigger (or start combining the low population states) for it to be proportional.