Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

From the NC thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Good thing mass airborne landings are still a relevant technique

"What do you mean we lost 99% of the invasion force to surface-to-air missiles?!"

And, as mechanized infantry, it's "fun" watching Russian vehicles get obliterated by drones before they've even moved out. I can't wait to get called back to fight China knowing that I was trained to sit in a tight space that can easily be destroyed by a missile launched over distances we can't even see.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Gorilla Radio posted:

"What do you mean we lost 99% of the invasion force to surface-to-air missiles?!"

And, as mechanized infantry, it's "fun" watching Russian vehicles get obliterated by drones before they've even moved out. I can't wait to get called back to fight China knowing that I was trained to sit in a tight space that can easily be destroyed by a missile launched over distances we can't even see.

Yeah but they'll run out of missiles... eventually!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

Ah, a variant on the Zap Brannigan method!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Gorilla Radio posted:

Oh don't worry, they don't want us back. We're old. The army is a lot like Leo DiCaprio

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The army is a lot like Leo DiCaprio

Rough chuckle, but no lies detected.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

evil_bunnY posted:

The missile tube is carried vertically, and the dissipator goes on the bottom end.

This. Seeing a hummer set up for a heavy drop or LAPES, they had that honeycomb all around it to keep the suspension from pretzeling.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
watching a poorly rigged hmmwv burn in on sicily DZ was probably the most fun ive ever had sitting on a drop zone ever

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Even better, finishing up an MFF School drop and packing chutes to see the Airborne Test Board crew out there clearing a huge loving section of Sicily. We hung around to see what was coming and it was a test drop of a Sheridan (this was in 1988) with a new rigging system...that did NOT work. It was raining pieces of armored vehicle as everything inside was basically squeezed up through the turret ring.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i remember hearing stories about that and trying to heavy drop big poo poo to where they reinforced a part under the sand with concrete and folks broke legs or something but could have been just std army bullshit

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Even better, finishing up an MFF School drop and packing chutes to see the Airborne Test Board crew out there clearing a huge loving section of Sicily. We hung around to see what was coming and it was a test drop of a Sheridan (this was in 1988) with a new rigging system...that did NOT work. It was raining pieces of armored vehicle as everything inside was basically squeezed up through the turret ring.

Everything can be airdropped, but this is not the same as should be airdropped.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i remember hearing stories about that and trying to heavy drop big poo poo to where they reinforced a part under the sand with concrete and folks broke legs or something but could have been just std army bullshit

It was worse...They water saturated and compacted the sand. They were supposed to get the engineers out to break it up, but yeah. 20th were dipshits as usual.

I could quote Roy Batty here... "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... 5-tons with their mains' cigarette roll hitting the sand radiator first and embedding themselves a good two meters into the sand like a modern-art piece...a 500-gallon water blivet hitting the ground like God's own beach ball, bounding into the air 20 meters and then just exploding into a torrent of rain...a grader being LAPESed that broke free of its binders and continued rolling down Sicily until it went into the scrub...All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Time to die".

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Gory Gory What a Helluva Time to Die

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

One of the greatest things I've ever witnessed was watching heavies burn in on Sicily through Binos. 3 or 4 burned in, and watching a Humvee plummet was beautiful.

That, and seeing an arty piece and pallet stabbed into the ground barrel first, and be planted near vertical.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
There was a Chinook transporting a 155 over Spring Lake, NC (Satellite town to Fayetteville) and it broke free. I seem to remember it absolutely merking somebody's house.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

WHAT IF ATF DECIDES THIS IS A DD??!!?
Did they stop doing LAPES after those dudes were killed during a demo or is that still a mission?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There was a Chinook transporting a 155 over Spring Lake, NC (Satellite town to Fayetteville) and it broke free. I seem to remember it absolutely merking somebody's house.

Ah yes the wrongest way to do an "In-the-wire" fire mission. Just drop the 198 or 777 on the drat thing.

Edit: As howitzers are notoriously not fond of helo ops unless its a resupply.

Edit 2: Just noticed the AV, thank you.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 19, 2024

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was a Dragon gunner, and that bastard had a special weapon case you had to rig up...

Again, I love the Dragon for all the stories of it's shittiness when you mention the thing to an operator of said weapon system.

As regards a later comment you made, the first time I heard a person gripe about the Dragon was comments made by a dude in your position a few years after you.

Said dude was 5 foot, 3 inches tall and 140lb.

"gently caress, I hated that thing. Lugged the bitch around during training, shot a live round once, it went straight into the ground, and I was quickly made an impromptu grenadier rifleman. Couldn't have been happier."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I remember doing sling load ops and shotgunning Humvees together (the term where you affix 2 together for a single lifting point). My Squadleader was originally 101st, and was experienced with this poo poo, having done a special advanced course for sling load ops.

He was very, very specific in how to route the links. A specificity he only used when something would kill me- kinda like the serious tone you give a kid before going to a public place.

About 20 minutes later, I got to see what happens if that link was the wrong way. It slightly shifts the mass underneath Spinning blades of Anubis, which makes them angry, and offers gravity an attack of opportunity. So they cut it loose.

I know it isn't true, but I think I heard the scream of the section leader inside the Chinook, knowing that his near future is going to be a nightmare, and his two trucks were cut loose from about 100, maybe 150 feet AGL.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dick Burglar posted:

Just drop thousands of plastic blow up dolls at the same time to confuse their targeting.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The good thing is blowup dolls are reusable after they fall out of a plane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dick Burglar posted:

Actually a viable tactic if their projectiles are several orders of magnitude more expensive than your projectiles.

Casimir Radon posted:

The good thing is blowup dolls are reusable after they fall out of a plane.

Just be careful when pinning medals on them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

madeintaipei posted:

Again, I love the Dragon for all the stories of it's shittiness when you mention the thing to an operator of said weapon system.

As regards a later comment you made, the first time I heard a person gripe about the Dragon was comments made by a dude in your position a few years after you.

Said dude was 5 foot, 3 inches tall and 140lb.

"gently caress, I hated that thing. Lugged the bitch around during training, shot a live round once, it went straight into the ground, and I was quickly made an impromptu grenadier rifleman. Couldn't have been happier."

I was never happier than when they put me on a Gustav.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-prosecutors-ask-nearly-five-years-prison-us-soldier-2024-06-19/

quote:

VLADIVOSTOK, Russia, June 19 (Reuters) - A U.S. soldier was sentenced on Wednesday to nearly four years in a Russian penal colony after being found guilty by a Russian court of stealing $113 from his girlfriend and making threats to kill her, a Reuters witness reported from the courtroom.
The judgement brings an end to a tempestuous love story that brought together - and then tore apart - a married U.S. staff sergeant and a Russian woman after an international romance that stretched from South Korea to Russia.

:rolleyes:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glue is a feature, not a bug
Pillbug

Y'know, gently caress Russia and all, but this is a totally believable story.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

WHAT IF ATF DECIDES THIS IS A DD??!!?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just be careful when pinning medals on them.

“I bit her on the rear end, she farted, and flew out the window!”

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
A modern day Romeo and Juliblyat.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Punished Ape posted:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm convinced that the reason my truck caught so many rockets was the blow up doll in the back seat dressed in stolen DCUs.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Punished Ape posted:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

I remember doing sling load ops and shotgunning Humvees together (the term where you affix 2 together for a single lifting point). My Squadleader was originally 101st, and was experienced with this poo poo, having done a special advanced course for sling load ops.

He was very, very specific in how to route the links. A specificity he only used when something would kill me- kinda like the serious tone you give a kid before going to a public place.

About 20 minutes later, I got to see what happens if that link was the wrong way. It slightly shifts the mass underneath Spinning blades of Anubis, which makes them angry, and offers gravity an attack of opportunity. So they cut it loose.

I know it isn't true, but I think I heard the scream of the section leader inside the Chinook, knowing that his near future is going to be a nightmare, and his two trucks were cut loose from about 100, maybe 150 feet AGL.

You piqued my curiosity and now I wonder if that's where this giant warning in the manual came from

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

You piqued my curiosity and now I wonder if that's where this giant warning in the manual came from

Ha!

Using that image, I can better explain what I recall what detail happened . On chain 1 or 2 (the outside lift chain) wasn't run proper. That link needed to be horizontal, if you run it vertical, it will shift under weight. It's only like an inch or two movement, but when you have like 2 tons slung underneath, that slight shift will crash a helo.

My Squadleader was often an rear end in a top hat to the point he's reached out to apologize, but he was never an rear end in a top hat about safety.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

See? Because of me, now they have a warning.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ha!

Using that image, I can better explain what I recall what detail happened . On chain 1 or 2 (the outside lift chain) wasn't run proper. That link needed to be horizontal, if you run it vertical, it will shift under weight. It's only like an inch or two movement, but when you have like 2 tons slung underneath, that slight shift will crash a helo.

My Squadleader was often an rear end in a top hat to the point he's reached out to apologize, but he was never an rear end in a top hat about safety.

The only way to be an rear end in a top hat about safety is to not be an rear end in a top hat about safety.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A.o.D. posted:

The only way to be an rear end in a top hat about safety is to not be an rear end in a top hat about safety.

See also: Boeing management

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I used to work with a radio operator in the North Sea who was ex-Royal SIgnals and he was TINY, as in, "How the gently caress did you ever get in the Army" size.

He was with the airborne pathfinders and he told me he carried so much bulky equipment that he could not even walk and they literally had to throw him out the back of the Hercules.

He was also in the Royal Signals motorcycle display team, the White Helmets and he said the only way he could get off the bike was to slowly ride to a stop against a vertical surface and just lean the bike onto it. He was a super guy but a bit messed in the head, he spent years listening to intercepted Soviet signals in Morse code, in German, and immediately translating and writing it down in English. You would be sat in the pub with him when he'd had a couple and everything he said he'd be tapping out on the table in Morse.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Burt posted:

I used to work with a radio operator in the North Sea who was ex-Royal SIgnals and he was TINY, as in, "How the gently caress did you ever get in the Army" size.

He was with the airborne pathfinders and he told me he carried so much bulky equipment that he could not even walk and they literally had to throw him out the back of the Hercules.

He was also in the Royal Signals motorcycle display team, the White Helmets and he said the only way he could get off the bike was to slowly ride to a stop against a vertical surface and just lean the bike onto it. He was a super guy but a bit messed in the head, he spent years listening to intercepted Soviet signals in Morse code, in German, and immediately translating and writing it down in English. You would be sat in the pub with him when he'd had a couple and everything he said he'd be tapping out on the table in Morse.

I wonder if that was a relict training method to help people master morse code? Basically a means of building the muscle memory necessary to translate action and thought near-simultaneously.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Fearless posted:

I wonder if that was a relict training method to help people master morse code? Basically a means of building the muscle memory necessary to translate action and thought near-simultaneously.

I think it's more likely that was just something him and his signalist pals did as a fun thing while out drinking, and it stuck. My own experience with morse-code teachers and the actual lifers in the service (Swedish Navy) is that we're all a bit touched in the head, either to begin with or through the cultural osmosis of hanging out with other signalists.

My own morse-code teacher was this ancient loving mariner who, when asked if he'd ever gotten to send SOS, he launched into a tale of getting to send CQD (the pre-SOS code, he was that old), because someone on the cargo ship he was on had fallen overboard, and how they couldn't really stop and pick them up because "it'd take us 4 hours just to stop, turn around and return to the area where we though he'd fallen overboard. Anyway, I got to send CQD which was fun".

as for the thread content, I was an idiot once when we came into port early morning and I was dead tired, I got sent shoreside to hook up the water and being bleary-eyed and miserable, I hooked the waterline up to the fuel line by mistake. Fortunately, I actually turned on the water line and produced a majestic fountain of ice-cold water showering myself at 4:30 am, to the delight of everyone but myself, since it was in the middle of february.

I was never sent to do that again, so that was fun.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Bit surprised the water hookup and fuel hookup are the same kind of mechanism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Keru posted:

My own experience with morse-code teachers and the actual lifers in the service (Swedish Navy) is that we're all a bit touched in the head, either to begin with or through the cultural osmosis of hanging out with other signalists.

As the grandson of one, can confirm.