Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

redreader posted:

I read "armor" because of this thread or the previous one. I was on my kindle so I kept track of the good and bad bits. Armor bits starring felix: from 0%-22% of the book. Then Jack Crow from 22%-70% of the way through. Then Felix for about 4%, then Jack Crow again until the last 2 pages. It's like 2 books, a great one and a really poo poo one. The poo poo one is most of the book.

I also read it. It was ok/pretty good for hard sci-fi of the era.

The forever war is much much much better. I read it twice in a row. I love me some military sci-fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Will do.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
All of my interactions with the French military boiled down to three points.

1.the french are dicks

2.the french are good at their jobs.

3. The dick french that are good at their jobs will run you the gently caress over if you aren't good at yours and leave you there, come what may.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Midjack posted:

France is overall a very competent nation politically, economically, and militarily. The “cheese eating surrender monkey” reputation is really undeserved.

I think that they have some very painfully learned institutional knowledge built into their structure that Americans just don't have due to pure hubris.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
That guy is a goddamn badass.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

:same:

The Felix bit was amazing, then I got up to the Jack Crow stuff and it's all toxic masculinity wish fulfilment bullshit. He fucks ALL the ladies, beats up ALL the bullies, and is smarter than ALL the nerds. He is a boring and stupid character, and is sapping my will to finish the book.

He changes drastically the more he is exposed to Felix. It's worth sticking it out. You are supposed to hate crow.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The book is called Armor.

It starts with a kickin' rad power armor combat sequence and has a few more of those kind of scenes - Felix kicking Ant rear end despite the best efforts of High Command to get him killed.

That;s not what the book is actually about.

it is about armor. The kind of armor we put between our vulnerable selves and a cold, uncaring universe where hurt happens to those who don't deserve it.

Think about why Felix put the Scout suit on.

To add to this "the engine" is Felix's real armor. And has his story goes on it begins to fail.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 9, 2019

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Jealous.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
That's honestly impressive. I don't know what side the impressive part lies on whether it's the incompetence of law enforcement or the fact that two idiot Junior enlisted managed to go so far down the rabbit hole but that's quite a trip and would probably make a really interesting movie.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

When I was doing sea scouts as a teenager I thought being a BM in the coast guard would be the most awesome thing ever but I got distracted chasing tail and ended up joining as an IT in the Navy 20 years later.

I was Navy then CG. Being a BM in the CG was pretty tits.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah a buddy of mine took his family to (can't remember the name but a gulf coast Mexican tourist city) last year. He's at the resort and like "this is loving fine what's the problem with Mexico?".

He went for a walk one day and got three blocks back from the beach and walked into a military checkpoint that among other things had dudes on mounted M2s on top of permanent fortifications. They politely turned him back to the beach.

I spend a fair amount of time in Baja over the years and bit in the DF (Mexico City) and things are generally fine. Near either border it if you are trafficking drugs is a bad idea. It's not abnormal to see moderately armed police in those and the tourist areas. I don't feel any more in danger in Mexico than I do in most of Central America and definitely safer than parts of SE Asia.

I'm also a moderately sized white dude, so that may have something to do with it, but I usually travel with my wife. Seeing cops with rifles and military is usual in a ton of the world. The cartel stuff is a poo poo show though and is really our fault.

Ruining a lot of great countries and countless lives because of puritanical ideals.

(Your buddies story kinda stinks, I can't think of a tourist area that's isn't surrounded by towns swarming with tourists, both the good and bad types.)

I'll be back in Mexico for a few weeks in the next few months. I'll take more pictures.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 27, 2019

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Nullify the Senate and increase the house. Bing bang boo. So simple.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Build an office building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Vengarr posted:

To be fair, 435 members is already pretty big and unwieldy.

So is America.