Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

WHAT IF ATF DECIDES THIS IS A DD??!!?
Edit: Nevermind.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CainFortea posted:

People who do stuff they can't or don't want to talk about do things like not bring it up. Or talk about little incidental things like funny stories about idiots in garrison. Or lie.

Until Band of Brothers came out Bill Guarnere would tell people who asked about his leg that it was a boating accident.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

tactical_asshole_actual on Insta has some good ones.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The amazing thing is that they seem to have dealt with this in a rational and even potentially productive fashion. Asking the developer to move the point to a military museum to bolster attendance is a great idea.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jesus whereís MCAS when you need it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

I remember a range being shut down for a year or two because of a bird that nested and made birdlings in the butts.

We'd routinely have to halt and delay shots at our test pond at Aberdeen when ospreys started nesting in the cranes.

No setting off big bombs in the ocean if any sea turtles or smart mammals were observed swimming in the vicinity, either.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

nullscan posted:

Who let Scully and Hitchcock out of the precinct?

Courtesy of Twitter:

Whopper, Texas Ranger
Starsky & Hutt
Magnum BMI
21 Sit Down A Lot Street
Lardians of the Galaxy
Paunch and John
Drag-gut
Hill Street Moos
Adam-12 Piece Bucket of Extra Crispy and a Diet Coke
Simon and Simon and Simon and Simon and Simon
Law and Order: BLT
Relleno 911
Brooklyn 299

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

A White Guy posted:

Which makes me wonder exactly how much lead lead-210 and polonium-210 that dude's lungs and bones had managed to accumulate in his life time.

One pack is a about 100 mBq retainer in your lungs and dose of roughly a microsievert.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

So, what gives? Is it lack of institutional oversight?

Qualified immunity. And public sector unions that make it all but impossible to effectively discipline bad cops.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 8, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, saying it works because of ammonia is even dumber, thereís very little ammonia in piss. If you have a ton of ammonia kicking around, you are for sure in liver failure and headed for a hepatic coma.

The vinegar doesn't do anything about venom that's already been injected, but you have bits of tentacle stuck to you whose nematocysts haven't fired yet. If you do anything to those, like try to scrape or pick them off, then they will fire and you'll get a bigger dose of venom. Vinegar denatures the stinging cells and deactivates them so they can't fire anymore. But ammonia and most other things you can pour on there will make them trigger. So not only does piss not have much ammonia in it, and if you have a bunch of ammonia in your piss something's wrong, but ammonia is not going to do anything but make it worse anyway.

http://europepmc.org/article/MED/6102347

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Edit: poo poo, wrong thread.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Can someone post that DO NOT DO THIS image from a few years back showing that someone had attached a couple of Claymores to the front bumper of their HMMWV as an improvised antipersonnel weapon? Google is failing me hard.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Out of curiosity, arent claymores designed to force the explosion to the front(away from vehicle)? Whats the horrible end result of doing it?

A wrecked vehicle and casualties. A pound and a half of C4 isnít something you want to be close behind when it goes off even if itís shaped to direct force to the front.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I used to do UNDEX testing for NAVSEA. Most of our shots were equipment-level tests at a quarry down in Lynchburg VA, there we were limited to 60 lbs.

Out in the open ocean we could go a bit bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qiZK_ZIjB4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV727_YGAkQ

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

A thing I should not have to ask people is "If you have a document clearly marked DOD CONTROLLED INFORMATION at the top please do not take a photo of it with your phone and text it to my phone."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ask him if after amputation, will he keep his winker. He could get it taxidermied onto a crazy straw.

But if you put it into a glass with ice it'd disappear.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Sgt. Chungus reporting as ordered, Mrs. Speaker.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The good news is that since the treatment for ethylene glycol poisoning is ethanol theyíre already halfway cured.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/europe/nato-chief-suggests-battle-tanks-with-solar-panels-as-militaries-go-green-1.1160313

quote:

Nato should examine how it can power tanks and jets with alternative energy, such as solar panels, to reduce its carbon emissions, the allianceís secretary general said.
Mr Stoltenberg said putting solar panels on tanks would be good for the environment and would also increase the resilience of troops on military operations.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 6, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The issue is that here on the ground youíre lucky to get a few hundred watts per square meter from a solar panel that isnít covered with mud or sand or trees or camo netting and thatís about gently caress-all compared to the power a tank needs to do anything.

Like carbon-neutral fuels and all is fine but the notion that putting solar panels on a tank would do anything but enrich the factories in China that make solar panels is ridiculous.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SchnorkIes posted:

Are they really introducing a new service cartridge that doesn't defeat hard body armor? Kids wear plates to school at this point, what's even the point of investing much in that stuff.

Hard body armor can stop a full-length cartridge at close range, so what service cartridge would you want?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

M110- simplest terms, an M16 in 308. His B-Hole is way behind the end of the silencer, so no worries there.

OTOH

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

We were in Vegas for a buddyís birthday and hit up Battlefield Vegas, the place thatíll let you crush a car with a tank, and someone was renting one of those on the range. Indoors the concussion was insane, it was like a big bass kick drum in your lungs, and thatís not being anywhere in the path of the muzzle brake.

Seconding the Deagle sentiment. Hilarious to shoot, especially if Iím not buying the ammo, completely impractical unless you have Truckasaurus hands.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Only time I fired one was at a public outdoor range, guy next to me had one and saw me ogling it and let me shoot it.

Iíve got a Ruger Super Blackhawk and thatís bad enough, I have no urge to shoot .50AE.

I do want a Bren Ten, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://youtu.be/cB-r352j2FI

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is there a difference between .50 and .500?

Yeah. .50AE case length is about 1.3Ē, and about 1500 ft-lbs at the muzzle. .500 is a longer case (about 1.6Ē) and insane at 2800.

By comparison anything out of an M16 is about 1300 ft-lbs. .500 has more muzzle energy than a loving M240 but in a barrel thatís only a few inches long.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I dunno, Merit Badges Ďn stuff

That's meth, not mendelevium.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The Valley Stared posted:

No! That is radiation!

No, I know who the guy is, but radiation doesn't make your face look like that. A heavy meth habit does. Hahn's death had nothing to do with his backyard experiments as a kid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=met...iw=1535&bih=909

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't mean making soft-loaded .50 AE rounds, O mean creating the new .50 Asskicker cartridge with unique case dimensions.

Isn't that just .50AE? Or .50 Beowulf? Or .510 Whisper?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 13, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

It really is, Stangl is EVEN MORE HOT because they glazed it unevenly versus Fiestaware. I have a couple Stangl pieces as well, and its often almost double the cpm.

Have any thorium-doped camera lenses?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

*Another* Predator remake ?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or the UK and Yellow Sun, the bomb where the safety was 133,000 steel ball bearings held in by a stopper, and when the ball bearings were removed, the bomb was dangerously unsafe due to the amount of fissile material packed into each one.

The Ivy King bomb was a one-megaton pure fission bomb and had a boron chain in the middle that had to be pulled out to arm the bomb or it could easily have gone high-order in the event of a plane crash or just a stern glare.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Used cars draw much higher interest rates in general. The claimed reason is because a new car has a higher recovery value on a default vs a used car and normally that's why they're a lot cheaper.

Also plenty of predatory buy-here-pay-here dealers know you're not going to be able to keep up with the payments, and they're basically counting on that. Their business model involves selling the same car, repoing it, and selling it again.

The picture of the invoice or whatever isn't loading for me, so when I first saw Hellcat I was hoping it was one of these.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

They wonít be able to bear such shame :dadjoke:

Ah, the poor thing's just usine around.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

What is it specifically about them that they canít autorotate? I knew they couldnít but never heard why.

A combination of much higher wing loading and much lower rotational inertia stored in the blade system. They might be able to autorotate to an extent but certainly not to a soft landing and autorotation capability was never part of the specification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007