Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

The next day, Amazon pulled his items and thousands of other listings for sanitizer, wipes and face masks. The company suspended some of the sellers behind the listings and warned many others that if they kept running up prices, they’d lose their accounts. EBay soon followed with even stricter measures, prohibiting any U.S. sales of masks or sanitizer.

Now, while millions of people across the country search in vain for hand sanitizer to protect themselves from the spread of the coronavirus, Mr. Colvin is sitting on 17,700 bottles of the stuff with little idea where to sell them.

“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”

Then the companies, pressured by growing criticism from regulators and customers, cracked down. After the measures last week, Amazon went further on Wednesday, restricting sales of any coronavirus-related products from certain sellers.

“Price gouging is a clear violation of our policies, unethical, and in some areas, illegal,” Amazon said in a statement. “In addition to terminating these third party accounts, we welcome the opportunity to work directly with states attorneys general to prosecute bad actors.”

Mr. Colvin, 36, a former Air Force technical sergeant, said he started selling on Amazon in 2015, developing it into a six-figure career by selling Nike shoes and pet toys, and by following trends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

mlmp08 posted:

The A&M Corps of Cadets is weird.

Like even a lot of Aggie alum who support are troops and the blue line and so on are still like "Yeah, that corps of cadets, they're uh... an interesting lot."

I deployed with a guy who would not shut the gently caress up about going to Texas A&M. Of course he was in the Corps of Cadets. The following events took place over the course of a year:

1. He proposed to his girlfriend before he left for pre-mob.
2. He received a "Dear John" letter before his first tax exempt paycheck.
3. Two weeks later, he saw his ex-fiancé was in a relationship with a guy on Facebook
4. He was placed on suicide watch
5. He spent 2 months watching Friday Night Lights and crying because it reminded him of Texas
6. He bought a house sight unseen because "renting is just throwing money away"
7. He bought his own OCPs and had them shipped
8. He went back to Texas A&M
9. He got a VA rating for PTSD
10. He proposed to some other 19 year old

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I would be interested in a reprinting and will likely but extra copies to give out as gifts

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Im like 70% sure this is Texas A&M ROTC.

These people will be leading troops in less than 3 years.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Mr. Nice! posted:

A&M's corps of cadets are not all ROTC and the majority of them will never be in the military.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-51_4EOtXYE

Wait, so the majority of people in that crowd are doing this for....fun?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

VanSandman posted:

The aggies are dipshits of the highest order.

I have to assume they think the "leadership development" part of that looks good on resumes or something.

Holy poo poo if someone told me they went through that for fun in a job interview I would immediately end it and make sure they don't accidently eat paint chips on the way out.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Wild T posted:

Back, and through the left nut

:discourse:

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Midjack posted:

Do they really intend for that to be worn in combat?

The Army tells its soldiers to get their faces ready for the new Clothed Orifice Concealer for Combatent Kinetics.

The Clothed Orifice Concealer for Combatent Kinetics will be issued with an appropriate holster. For safety, newly issued regulations will require the Clothed Orifice Concealer for Combatent Kinetics Holster to be shut unless authorized.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I think this is the thread for this

That Works posted:

Silver lining

In 2011, my entire squadron was talking about silver in the same way everyone is talking about gamestonk now. One lieutenant, who I'm pretty sure had a degree in like, history, wrote a newsletter about silver trading options.

There was a conservative bent to it all, because those drat [democrats] in Washington were spending all of our money and we would need to wheelbarrow "fiat" money to get bread soon.

They convinced my NCOIC, who had north of 15k in student loans at 3.5% APR, to shovel 10k in deployment money at, and I'm not exaggerating, the peak of that 2011 run. He losted roughly half his investment in 3 months. He wasnt alone, half the squadron officers lost north of 10k.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

The Rat posted:

How does that compare to the guys who bought a bunch of Iraqi dinars? It always seemed like a bad idea to me, but more than a few guys on my former contracts dumped cash into them.

I knew a captain that bought into the Iraqi Dinar scam.

He had the audiotape of "Art of the Deal" playing in his V6 Camero on the way to lunch once.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

I had to look up this guy to figure out of this was ironyposting.

It was not. It also screams "current or retired SnCO"

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Warning: Abuse related (it's a court hearing on zoom)

If you're impatient start at 6 minutes, but the slow burn is worth it imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Mfk7Dg42k

DA on point there. She recognized the body language first so when the defendant looked to the side she knew he was there.

Also the cop calling in units once he learned the address unprompted.

Also the judge protecting the record once he realized this recording would be used as evidence for new charges.

Proffesionals working in concert. Feels like an Aaron Sorkin movie.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
The prosecutions faces are priceless

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I had to train a late thirties cross trainee from a non technical field. She was okay at the material but training her was a chore because she smelled like cat piss and didn't wash her hair.

I brought this up to superiors but nobody wanted to bother because they weren't in close enough proximity to care. So as a 21 year old I had to give the hygiene talk to a woman who could have been my mother.

She did LARPing on the weekends.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
There are Nazi soldiers buried at Normandy.

This should make everyone here happy:

https://time.com/2826794/at-d-day-commemoration-few-mourn-the-wars-losers/

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's a gender reveal party involved in all this, because of course there loving is.

Family Oriented! Sccssfully navigated complex communicatn structures to increase family spprt group mbershp by 600%. Promote now!

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I sent a 24 year old E3 to make coffee once and the fire department had to get involved.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

madeintaipei posted:

Oh, sorry. Slow Walk in a Sad Rain, by John P. McAffee. Written partly to alleviate bad memories of being SF in the Vietnam War. Raw, very raw.

"As Special Forces, the camp had a psyops budget. We put it to good use by opening a combination bar and brothel in the village. We called it "Shotgun's Place", which was usually enough to keep trouble to a minimum. You could sit there and drink with Shotgun; you with your six-pack of Bud, him with his case of Vietnamese beer. You just had to keep up your end of the conversation. You knew you were lagging when Shotgun's hand started inching towards the scattergun in the middle of the table. This kept you alert and sober."

"Some men handle grief with grace and dignity. Shotgun is not one of those men. Standing, he ripped the legs off the cast iron bed, handing one to each of us. "Put this down your shirt, you'll need it." I remembered this after we were captured, as they beat us savagely with them. What the gently caress, Shotgun?"

"See that burnt out jeep by the wire? A group of officers came by to inspect the camp once. For whatever reason, one of them had a hand grenade hanging off his flak vest. As he stepped out from the jeep, it's ring caught on the windscreen. That, combined with the hulk of the last airplane to visit us, meant we didn't get many visitors."

"It's a slow walk in a sad rain home. You are a wet cat in someone's lap. You are a run-over puppy."

If you told me this was written by THE John McAffee (of antivirus and whalefucking fame) it would explain alot of things.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Internet Wizard posted:

Pretty sure making a political statement like that in uniform is also gonna have consequences, staff sausage

After going down the #letsgobrandon rabbithole....lmao this guy aint thinking about his family here.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Phanatic posted:

Sailors have a strong historic association with all things venereal.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Being that we act this dumb and hosed up, I can only imagine the wild stories that come out of the Russian military

https://mobile.twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1518615779985534978

Thr "3 SIMS" story explains alot to me about how things are done in Russia.

I just noticed the green wig. Who is disguising themselves with a green wig

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

A.o.D. posted:

They call that a loving saber? Man, the USAF really can't do swords at all.

AF out here fighting Sephiroth for your freedom and this is the thanks they get.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
The sand is sourced downwind of Chernobyl.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

If you're wondering why this guy is an E-3 at 50 something years old, it's because he got out like 30 years ago and still decided to put on the uniform for his wedding day.

This might seem minor compared to *gestures vaguely*, but I think it is the best window into the brain space of these people.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

quote:

"It was a trail of tears and douche bag cars," said a Special Forces member who witnessed the scene late last week while each soldier stopped for questioning had their vehicle parked along the street.

This person needs an account here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Here's an idiot story from Reddit's "Am I the rear end in a top hat" advice forum:

AITA for wanting to move into a house With my husband?

Paragraph breaks added by me because goddamn.

Yea babe stay there for the next 14 years, I got you.