Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They do know they can just buy nonlethal alcohol for drinking, right?

Dudes used to bring gallon jugs of moonshine from their families for post patrol parties in King's Bay.

Tasted better than the $10/bottle vodka at the NEX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

There are anecdotal accounts of Russian Tankers taking brake fluid and doing the same, but I believe they are apocryphal.

I think the torpedo one may be too, in Dick O'Kane's biography they talk about Doc just having a big cabinet of liquor they refer to as "depth charge medicine" the Captain would authorize to boost moral, or after a particularly nasty depth charging by a Japanese destroyer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

USE YOUR drat ZARF :argh:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Ctrl + Alt + (down/left/right)

I walked back to the engineroom one day to see one of my sailors (Pants-making GBS threads Racist) with a laptop perched on its side, squinting furiously and trying to use the touchpad to navigate. Had a laugh and showed him how to fix it.

A few months later I get called in to work to relieve the other mechanic on duty, because PSR had gotten so mad at the other guy doing that to him, then locking the computer (ctrl+alt+up doesn't work until you log in) that he had punched the laptop to death, and would break down rage sobbing every time he saw the other duty mechanic.

Stupid gently caress got to stand both watches for the rest of the night, because I wasn't qualified to stand Shutdown Roving Watch anymore.

I am infinitely grateful I don't have to work with that motherfucker anymore.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Did... did anyone use it as a bipod rest?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Navy was in full on panic mode about spice in '10 when I joined, I went to multiple trainings and signed a bunch of page 13's about it.

If I had any desire to try it myself, that dissapeared after multiple instances in Nuke School of dudes smoking it and tripping the gently caress out, to the point where the people they were with called an ambulance for them (then got masted for "allowing" a shipmate to smoke it lol)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Wrr posted:

Hey that one guy is out there without his hat cover on! That's not allowed!

:rant:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Extreme NCO energy in making a rule then hammering the person who immediately breaks it with a sarcastic quip.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In TAPS today:

Some guy getting kicked out for refusing the vaccine: "I was honorably discharged when I reenlisted, so I can just put that on resumés, right?"

VA dude: "Sure!"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

He lives with his parents as a 32 year old Navy Vet, and he has a podcast that (I assume) shits on people for collecting welfare?

There isn't a big enough LOL for that one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

How is it possible to be this loving stupid?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL if you ever call anyone but especially doctors by their rank or title.

They did like an hour on not doing that in the civilian world at TAPS class.

I've known a couple Dr. Doctor's, I think we should simply make anyone with a PhD change their surname.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm outranked by most of my family, which is weird to think about. That's conscription for ya!

I'm the highest ranking member of my family (mostly 2/3 of my brothers).

I'm an E6 though, we don't exactly have a family history of exemplary military service.

My grandad got drafted to help build The Bomb at Oakridge right after he earned his masters in Chemical Engineering though, so that's way cooler than anything I did, even if he left as an E5.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Everyone I've met in the CG seems to actually love it.

Holy poo poo do they not make rank though, my buddy whith 12 years in its still an E5.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've been to a handful of places that do Thai and Indian food, and will do some fusion.

It is, of course, delicious, they're very complimentary flavors.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I do know a couple dudes in the Navy that got hosed when a friend or spouse left weed/paraphernalia in their car and they got randomed at the gate.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So don't necessarily read this full story because it's about the recent spate of Navy suicides, but this part looks to me like pure idiocy:

Why are thousands of sailors plonked down in a carrier that has been spending, and is expected to spend years more in the dock? Why is it just now that they're being allowed to go live in actual housing?

That'll mostly be the engineering department, who are necessary for the overhaul process.

The lower ranking guys get to sleep on the boat because they haven't been to college and therefore aren't human beings.

PSNS where I was just stationed looks like a homeless camp with junior sailors sprawled in every possible area with HVAC so they can get away from the boat for a bit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

It struck me as borderline dangerous; if you're wearing your ocean camo and go overboard you're much harder to see than if you had on a bright orange uniform. They'd probably get laughed at in the cafeteria in the pentagon though, better go with the mall ninja colors instead.

There were a lot of urban legends made by idiots floating around that the aquaflage would release orange dye in Salt water.

The Navy type III's they wear now are just regular digital camo.

95% of all shipboard work in the Navy is done in coveralls anyways.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

I played in nasty hurricane floodwaters in New Orleans as a kid a couple times, abd as far as I know Im fine!

My brother went to college in N.O. and I think the scariest hurricane stories were the fire ant rafts floating down the street.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

:ohdear:

I swam in a snowmelt lake this week, which should be safe from most pathogens, but I am definitely nursing open wounds.

There are people who drink untreated water from places like this, which I just don’t get. I always, always treat water before drinking it. Use a Steripen if you demand cold and fresh water.

I drink that poo poo all the time, I remain undysenteried.

Anything warm or downstream gets treated for sure though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Shipmates turned to Seawarriors, and I guess now Liberty Buddy became Battle Buddy?

Because we are a war-fighting organization raaaarrrrrr.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Its hot, humid, and you're bored after 4 hours and spend the rest of the day drinking at the beach bar. Go somewhere cool instead..

Guam is great for like a week, they have some awesome snorkeling among some beautiful coral reefs. I'd go back for vacation if it wasn't 4x the price for a flight as Hawaii.

When I was stuck on base there for a month and a half I got real bored though, yeah. Gained about 20lbs just getting wasted on the beach while flies landed on every part of my body.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Similar thing happened a couple years back at the Trident base in Bangor, dude carjacked some lady and rammed the gate to tell everyone about all the bombs that someone had planted on his house, and on the car he stole.

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/local/2019/03/08/navy-closes-bangor-gates-truck-crash-man-child/3109086002/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Remulak posted:

Go nuke.

I was gonna say this.

But for real, the number of nukes who are obviously on the spectrum and are forced through the pipeline anyway is a loving travesty. As an E6, trying to simultaneously teach these poor kids life skills, while trying to curb their peer's harassment, try and find some sort of productive work they could handle, shepard their qualifications and keep the senior enlisted from doing their usual gently caress-gently caress routine where they help no one and screw everyone was a literal nightmare.

If someone you know is like that gets accepted by a recruiter, find the Officer in Charge of their recruiting district and tell them their recruiters are wilfully allowing people to fraudulently enlist. Seriously, sending them to Gitmo as a captive might be kinder.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

... WHAT?

more and more I am thankful that we made our own air and water on the submarine.

The old nuke submariners of the 60's and 70's are getting absolutely devastated by mesothelioma from the insulation just continuously circulating in the air.

Absolute top notch water though.

Edit: I just remembered the time USS Springfield's A-gang jury-rigged a bunch of air hoses and blew sanitaries into the potable water system. Disregard that last statement.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 4, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Doesn't that air smell like cat piss?

You get used to it pretty fast.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Their system for pressurizing the San tanks had some sort of fault, so they rigged up some hoses from another air reducer, specifically the one that served the potable water tank. They of course didn't write a procedure (TSO) to operate this new setup they made, so they left the wrong valves open and poo water backflowed through the lines into the potable tanks.

We were parked right next to them at pier 4 in Groton, which is the "you hosed up and squadron doesn't want to walk farther than necessary to push your poo poo in" pier. We wondered why they pulled in 3 days after they left and got filled in on all the details. My future EDMC was riding them at the time, and I think he was a little traumatized by drinking the poo water, because he'd go off on long rants about it every time someone brought it up.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fraudulent enlistment is literally a running joke, I think I've met like 5 people who didn't lie or cover up a single thing. It's pretty much just used to gently caress people over when their sad brains/other health issues crop up and they want to discharge the member rather than treating them.

E: I answered honestly on my first round of forms, and my recruiter told me to shred them and try again, without disclosing my hospitalization for asthma this time.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nystral posted:

If you were to enlist during one of the lax periods with ADHD or some other now disqualifying condition, during the current climate can they just give you a honorable discharge and send you on your way regardless of contract status?

They won't care about any condition that you didn't lie about, if something comes up that you need treatment for they'll treat it/med board you out as normal.

After a few years in medical stops really giving a poo poo about your history and will assume any condition you have just popped up and deal with it accordingly, it's the first few months to a few years while you're in basic/ A-school/C-school/misc training that they'll pull your medical records if they suspect you're lying.

The only person I saw get booted for fraudulent enlistment at an operational command was a dude who just decided to confess his history of BPD and hospitalizations for such in an all hands e-mail putting in his "two weeks notice"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I thought the whole locking your knees thing was an urban legend, until I did it in dress whites for a ceremony in the 95 degree 100% humidity South Carolina summer.

I vividly remember just... not being able to see anything besides a little circle where the center of my field of vision should have been, and desperately squirming and shaking to try and stop it, it's such a weird experience.

I would have gone face-first into concrete if I had passed out too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lol, it's literally the opposite of what he claims, if you deploy to do the squirrel poo poo they cover you in medals saying "dude went here, where they did great things, no specifics"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've had the displeasure of being "shower watch" for some smelly sailors. Never seen anyone go to NJP for it though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This guy also had a bunch of kim wipes that he had placed around his rack, seemingly to help soak up excess lube oil that he had been bringing in on his hair and skin when he would rack out after watch. After I woke him up and he started getting dressed I told him that he disgusted me and that most other divisions would kick him out of their bunkrooms for being a disgusting slob. He kind of nodded along and said he had heard it all before.

The ELT that taught me how to stand ERLL was like this, he embraced it so far that he started slicking his hair back with 2190. Used to say stuff at the vape pit like "isn't it refreshing when you take a shower and all the black water just flows off your body?"
No man, that doesn't happen to normal people (excepting shower moratoriums on submarines, which we were not in).

Also, gently caress the Navy for not installing Mist Eliminators on every ship, my first boat didn't have 'em, my second one did, and even with 2 more lube oil systems I never got off watch after a full day of running at ahead flank looking like I just put product in my hair on the ME equipped boat like I used to on the first one.

That poo poo can't be good for your lungs.

E: helping a bunch of junior sailors figure things out like "how do I shower and brush my teeth?" Or "how does one obtain a driver's license and buy a car?" Was one of the best formative experiences of my life, it's taught me patience and empathy, and I'm a much better person, and in civilian life, manager for it.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 26, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

We had a dude like you in boot camp, mid thirties, married with kids, going into the reserve, kinda acted like the division Dad.

Couldn't help the one dude that wet his rack every night and reeked of piss constantly though, no matter how hard he tried.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There are definitely people who just have B.O. worse than others, don't know I'd it's genetics or what. I hot-racked with a guy like that, he showered daily, ate the same food everyone else did, washed his sheets and clothes regularly, actually above average hygiene in general.

His scent still lingered as I drifted off to sleep every night though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

When our Pants making GBS threads Racist's phone # got transferred we just ended up with a very upset and technically illiterate lady from Florida, wish it was this guy, we would NEVER kick him out, and he'd always know exactly when to show up for the Reactor Startup brief.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks to the military, I know firsthand that it's possible to poo poo into a Gatorade bottle, as long as another man is holding it tightly against your anus.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I think the b hole is irregular enough to let enough air out. There was some spillage at first, but after a quick realignment all was okay.

Shitter's a Master Chief (E-9, highest enlisted rank) now, bottle holder is a civilian working at a shipyard.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

They were both E6s at the time, sea-dad (holder) and sea-son (shitter).

The guy that went to shipyard was like a nuke test engineer, not like a Bubba.

Sorry for the lack of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You don't stop being a sea child just because you've been on the boat for a couple years and you're a nuke.

You stop being a sea child when your daddy leaves to grab a pack of smokes (shore duty) and never comes back.

I was an orphan tho so ymmv.