Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yet my 800 credit score, clean jacket and NCO time can't commission because I'm too old and did weed

Wait, I'm an NCO...I'm the idiot

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

All the JROTC kids I've encountered in service have been vocal they were JROTC and also very ate up. System working as intended.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Rural CA is blood red GOP territory. The cities, for whatever faults, don't want children in cages or elimination of a woman's right to choose. I would call that significantly better politics

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Carnival Rider posted:

Oh man, we had a guy at the gym during PT hours measuring the fingernails fo any woman he saw. It was the dumbest thing I’ve seen there. I can see someone shoving a ruler into someone’s hair just to make sure it’s not more than 1/2 an inch.

Well that's a suicide waiting to happen when they get out

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Clancy really didn't shy from putting out there how he felt about women through his work. Didn't get my head around it when I was 12 apparently.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I think he moves a little but wouldn't be surprised if he's never going to have a good time again

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The Navy isn't so big on restraining your seamen

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

In theory leaving what you're doing for the service because you want to serve your nation is a noble endeavor and that kind of patriotism is a great thing. In application we're loving idiots for doing it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't worry about that, the only people actually freaked out by it are morons.

I just read the synopsis and goddamn that is loving stupid

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

It could be also called the "fedora and club shirt with flames" paradox based on the sort of folks who go in on it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

who the gently caress doesn't eat it out of the bag

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I think this is more about his snow white peepee

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If the secondaries would have been confined to tanker and jet, jesus that would have been a better outcome

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

There was a situation where lethal force was absolutely not warranted. He used it. That's it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

The other PL in my company was a fan of ranger panties, and doing his warmup stretches in such a way that his balls fell out every time, without fail, for all his soldiers to lay eyes upon. This is the same company where one of my squad leaders showed off his freshly waxed rear end in a top hat to any and all willing to gaze at it, in the middle of our company store.

You guys must have had really high morale and cohesion

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

While it's never great when people sign stuff without understanding it, which is not the case here, it's still in writing and if you're eligible to be a member of the armed forces you're eligible to read the drat black and white. Always blew my mind people were so bad at that stuff.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

you guys are dumb and have blinders on if you think weaver was the driver for those films and not michael beans, a guy who replaced a guy and also was a plot device to put focus on a female lead in the terminator, the film that made him the big draw for aliens and also i didn't know who he was before someone brought him up. gently caress, seriously?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

that argument is something someone with strong opinions about how family court treats men would write

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the potato salad tycoon?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

How many kids enlisting on that line actually know what SF does because findinf out you work with a variety of brown people would think the applicant pool I bet

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

thank god they didn't take the two minutes to get ahold of you and find out if that was an accurate order or not

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

drat dude i'm sorry you have to sometimes compromise with your own moral compass for a sandwich

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Is it him or helper monkey that is dead? Because if it's him, there's one possibility why

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

So sucking off Trump on the timeline is looked down upon? Because I said “I thought it was unbecoming to be a political partisan” and was told I know nothing of the military.

You can always screen cap it and send it to someone's chain if you're not sure. The chain of command should be able to figure it out and generate an answer.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My old XO got a NAM for saving a kid from drowning in the ocean. It was his kid.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

In my neighborhood of brave patriots (beach community where most of the homes are generational) people are extremely respectful, we're next to a military base so that may help. And by respectful I mean they bring the Trump flag in at night but leave the stars and stripes out in all weather and at night and someone even cut holes in it to zip tie it to their balcony. Nationalism, so cool.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

They've got their personal priorities in order and don't remotely hide their preferences. I was going to ask where but I realized it could be almost anywhere where there are both beaches and neighboring bases so that's a long list

It's like the entire part of the panhandle from Pensacola to Panama city lol

Other coast in one of those places full of humans who keep on proving they're trash

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Memento posted:

I dunno how this qualifies as Idiot Thread material, that marine is Mission Oriented and doing his best to ensure success on the battlefield. Promote ahead of peers.

Seriously this young motivator is ensuring his chances of being married and divorced before making Lance Corporal are maximized, all the makings of a SNCO career being seen from the start here.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mustang posted:

I had a chaplain that called all other officers sir, even lieutenants despite being a captain himself. Not being religious myself it was difficult for me to take chaplains seriously sometimes but this one in particular put a lot of effort into talking to soldiers and bringing their concerns up to the command team.

I'm an atheist and some of my most positive interactions in the service were with Chaplains when my head was mixed up around a couple of instances of big Navy loving up my day. Maybe I got lucky in that I consistently ran in to good ones but they're the one group I have nothing but good things to say about.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

why the gently caress wouldn't he just use hot water and dish soap

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm a lifelong atheist and grew up in a city with a lot of Mormons and their religion is insane but out of meeting and knowing dozens I can only think of one who was a bad person.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

is it Alabama where they say at least we aren't Mississippi or vice versa, or more likely does that go both ways

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Deploying a couple times to Japan/Okinawa and travelling around Asia helped me generate an understanding of what a functional country and society looks like, which has been very useful for contrast these last few years in the US

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Ive never heard of anyone dumping 556 or 762. On the last couple hours of an ex they either stand to you 30 times or let you have some fun and shoot rounds off.

my unit may have been a shitshow but if there's one thing we were real good at it was making blanks go away without being fired

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

If command is doing something willfully dangerous for no goddamn reason, though, the IG is a good nuclear option though.

Offer may not apply to the Naval Construction Force

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

did I ever talk about the time the USS Lincoln had a Sailor go overboard summer 2019 and the insane chain of events a girl in my command may have enacted to lead to that and her total melt down? it may be less idiot and more 'sociopaths unfit for society' thread material.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Oh boy. Here we go. It's posting time.

Back in the summer of 2019 my old Naval Construction Battalion was deployed and absolutely KILLING IT. KILLING IT was mostly quantified by shoddy construction and suicide attempts. Our E-6 and up kept saying morale issues were related to problems such as 'too much liberty' because then you're thinking your own thoughts and how when they were in The Desert they didn't have these issues because of no liberty. This was also the deployment where we answered the age old question can you do construction without materials to build with? The answer is if you say no you don't have a good attitude and you're why we have these morale issues. At one time all the E-5s got pulled together and told to police our troops better so they wouldn't keep trying to kill themselves. Ok!

Anyway we had an E-4 from the fleet who came to the Bees dual warfare qualed. Our other examples of rate strikers who had dual quals were all poo poo hot so the expectation was hey maybe this young lady will have it together. This was not the case. She was in charge of the trouble call log for all the maintenance issues on the base (Camp Shields, Okinawa) and they effectively just got all backed up and not dealt with. She did however pull a Milton and wrote her name on a stapler and occasionally would come in to the room inquiring where her stapler was and one time even burst in during passing of word to scream about the stapler. The stapler was of course government property so she should have been NJPed for destruction of said property.

Alright well with that color out of the way let's get to the not really fun stuff. One day this young woman shows up a total wreck as she has been informed her fiancée has gone overboard off the USS Abraham Lincoln (spoilered due to potential triggering). This would mess anyone up so being that most of us are capable of acting like normal humans we went "bummer" and she got some space and support. Then things took a turn for the 'Are you loving kidding me?' It turns out her fiancé did a self-long term buoyancy test after she wrote him an email about how she had cheated on him with a guy in our command. We need to break in and talk about this guy because he's another doozy. He had been on a detachment and sent back to main body and NJPed after one day having a rough one and threatening to use his work knife to murder everyone up to and including himself. He was also described as a human Jack Skellington by a colleague, which is unfair to Skellington even if they did have the same morphology.

But back to the suicide, the dude took his boots and the floatation thing with GPS I guess they make people wear on ships, according to some fleet returnees. So yeah, he's loving dead. It comes out that she cheated on him, wrote him that email, then was vocal about what was going down enough that we all found out that's what went down. She gets put on suicide watch and various young women are stuck watching her to make sure she doesn't do anything unreasonable. During this time she is of course not eating, sleeping, etc. Maybe this is the normal reaction of a person who made a horrific mistake that had real consequences for someone and their family and it's starting to sink in.

gently caress NO IT ISN'T! At this point she goes ham sandwich on the Facebook! She writes a series of posts about how he is still alive and how he's going to be coming to see her, that he definitely jumped because he couldn't stand being apart. Not because she hosed Jack Skellington and wrote him an email about it. She postulates he could have swam to an island or something of that nature and he definitely isn't loving dead (he jumped in the Arabian Sea so there's islands but no he's definitely loving dead). She also petitions and we have no idea how or why is allowed to go back to the States to be with her fiancés family. You guys may find this incredibly easy to believe but they don't want her around. She imposes anyway and just keeps writing insane Facebook posts including one about how when there with the guy's familly they are pissed off at her and she is all upset and throws up on herself and is sitting there covered in vomit while her fiancés sister glares at her. You know, normal life stuff (I will try and track down some of those posts but they may be gone forever). She also details how upset she is that she's certain the deceased didn't read the entire email because if he had he wouldn't have killed himself because it was actually very positive and hopeful. You know, the one where she says she cheated on him, it's a hopeful and inspiring email and if only he had read it all he wouldn't be dead.

After all this she comes back and begins to petition the Navy for a hardship discharge. I can't remember if it was granted or not but probably since this was such a loving stupid chain of events. We had a record number of suicide attempts that deployment but no successes so me and The Boys talked it over and figured that one should go on the board as at least an assist for our outfit. To emphasize how stupid that deployment was that was just another thing that happened and not 100% front and center as the dumbest and most hosed up event. Pretty impressive.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 11, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Excerpt of email talking about the email she sent admitting to loving Skellington. Very cool, very normal brain haver.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah he was super sick and basically if not being cared for in a fashion like this would have been super loving dead from the drop. The little dude is adorable and awesome but that's like the black swan situation for owning a big cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The one thing you really have going for you is that large vehicle, which as stated, can drive away. It can also drive forward so if you have been ambushed by ANTIFA on your way back from wings night at PATRIOT'S PUB where nobody wears a mask you could drive through them. Or you could stop and expose yourself to fire in the stupidest way possible what the gently caress do I know I was trained for if that poo poo happens but I don't own 5.11 pants or wear Rocky's in my day to day life