Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hagop posted:

If you like Forever War try David Drake's Redliners. I am not sure it's really all that similar, but I group the books together in my mind.

I just opened that link and it told me it was free, so, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FrozenVent posted:

It’s actually a very old design in a young body.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Martin Walker looks up from hell and smiles bitterly

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've got and watched 2199, it's good stuff. I should get 2202 as well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What a legend.

Solid.

My wife's grandfather, Sergeant in the Australian Army, was court martialled for stealing bedsheets from the USN ship he was being transported on, which he traded at a port brothel for booze and women for him and his squad. Got busted down to Corporal and some extra PT. WWII ended literally days after so that's a thousand percent worth it in my book.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Smiling Jack posted:

citation needed

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Is that a cell phone picture?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When asking about what the X-37B does, the answer should be framed in the scope of "what *can't* it do (either because of payload restriction or international treaty/law governing space weapons) and what *shouldn't* it do."

The Soviets were poo poo scared of the Space Shuttle because they couldn't conceive of any other use for it other than a manned orbital nuclear launch platform. A manned and recoverable FOBS system - maybe even one that could be reloaded in orbit. It'd be a horrendous waste of resources to do something so dangerous, but the X-37 could deploy an RV from orbit with no launch indication and just obliterate a target with little to no warning.

Woops, a fourteen foot tungsten carbide rod seems to have impacted your base at 13 miles per second.

Where could that have come from...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah, inanimate carbon rod is cool but have you maybe considered using a nuke

Plausible deniability! That impactor could have come from anywhere in the vastness of space.

Also, Boots gunna Boot, 21.5% isn't the lowest APR I've seen.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, I meant highest

It's 5:30 in the morning and I need coffee because I'm a garbage person who can't exist in the mornings without it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

14% is stronger than wine

What I'm saying is they should absolutely be releasing this so that people can drink wine like it was soft drink and provide content for this and the schadenfreude thread.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The tag had to be scribbled out because it was a 1:1 recreation of the boot's actual tag.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

boots gonna boot

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sitting in the foyer at a court I guess you *could* be there for a non-dumb-decisions reason.

Anyway.

Anyone want half a dozen Bradleys? Yours for the taking but you have to pick up.

https://twitter.com/iAmTheWarax/status/1174875031547056128?s=20

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

They'll be eating crayons and sexually assaulting Okinawan women in no time

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That marine that claimed to have hosed Elizabeth Warren sounds like a real solid dude

https://twitter.com/TLCplMax/status/1179933436670169088

(thread)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/ieA9Zn9.mp4

Homeboy had one too many red crayons this morning I think

Sound on

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

canyoneer posted:

The level 4 red zones in Mexico are pretty much no-gos.
Which is a shame because 10 years ago I went on a cruise to Manzanillo, Acapulco, and Zihuatenejo and they were all awesome and I wish I could go back. Zihuatenejo is one of the most beautiful beaches on earth.

It was pretty weird in Acapulco to watch a Mexican navy truck patrol with 8 armed marines in the back loaded out with full helmet/armor/rifle plus an officer.
There were also cops with rifles patrolling on foot up and down the beaches in Manzanillo.

Yeah a buddy of mine took his family to (can't remember the name but a gulf coast Mexican tourist city) last year. He's at the resort and like "this is loving fine what's the problem with Mexico?".

He went for a walk one day and got three blocks back from the beach and walked into a military checkpoint that among other things had dudes on mounted M2s on top of permanent fortifications. They politely turned him back to the beach.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

not caring here posted:

I got that poo poo a lot when I was in. Install this app, install that app for comms or whatever.

I just said it didn't work for me and always got left alone after that.

Dickheads didnt give me a work phone so they don't get to dictate how o use it

Yeah absolutely this. If you buy me a phone and pay the bills, you get to control what's on it. If I'm paying, you can smdftb

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

shovelbum posted:

The US government spends more money per capita on healthcare than the UK or Canada. Enough public money is being spent on healthcare already to implement a world class UHC system.

Yeah but imagine that money going to hospitals and doctors when it could line the pockets of your health insurance industry buddies.

loving nightmare scenario tbh.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Am I pregananant?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well Seymour, you are an odd fellow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

some dude on reddit posted:

We had a guy in the unit, one of these guys, you know always willing to go way out of their own way to help you out, but just one of the most disaster prone people I’ve ever met. He once left his M9 on a bench in a bus shelter on a base in Iraq, it had apparently just slid out the holster as he was sitting and he had no lanyard attached. Someone else from our unit happened to get there after the bus had left and before anyone else walked up. He recognized it as one of ours and brought it in with him.

That’s not even the story though, cause this SAME guy a few weeks later came into our shop and told us how he had just dropped his M9 into the shitter. One of those port-a-john ones, with the blue sanitary water, in Iraq, in summer, and shall we say in a “somewhat heavily trafficked” area of the base. We were all a little surprised to see it on his hip still, so of course we asked how he got it out and his retelling was way better than mine, but basically he said he thought about it for a moment and then just took his blouse off and reached in bare handed. Straight raw dogged it. He said he couldn’t locate it at first and described how he had to explore around the whole pot before he finally got his fingers on it. By the time he finished we were all beyond speechless, and frankly I was little impressed, because imagining myself in that situation I do not know if would have exhibited that kind of... strength or perseverance in the face of extreme adversity I guess. Just then though, in that contemplative silence, a private who’d been listening from the other side of the room simply said “why didn’t you just come back in here and get a trash bag to put your arm into?” and it was probably one of the smartest things I’ve heard anyone say, ever.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

canyoneer posted:

There were plenty of good Nazis. The dead ones, specifically.

:hai:

Alright whose boot is this, come pick him up he's about to get married at an Arby's

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...s-investigates/

quote:

Unconfirmed online rumors say that the rifles were taken from the sleeping bags of a lieutenant and corporal, and that Marines are being prevented from going on a holiday leave block until the search is complete and the rifles are recovered.

Someone's about to catch a Code Red.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
33 was one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tunicate posted:

this means, of course, that the entire cylon detection subplot was pointless

he already had a cylon detector

in his pants

Yeah a single Cylon chick who liked it from behind would have blown their entire plan

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I just thought it would be funny to see 12 year olds and 37 year old neckbeards trying to get in to get that fat bear thing

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

Jesus where’s MCAS when you need it.

lol drat

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Doobie knows what he did

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CainFortea posted:

Here's this stupid idiot. Not in the military, but topical.

What's that phrase that fuckwits on twitter use when someone talks about them in no matter the context, "I'm living rent-free in your head"?

They are so obsessed with Hillary that even more than three years after she lost the election, they're still doing poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's probably facilitating it more than anything.

1986:
Person: "loving stupid idea"
Their close friends and family: "that's loving stupid"

2017:
Person: "loving stupid idea"
The incredibly small but insanely vocal group of people on the internet who agree with them: "yes that's right and you're good and cool for thinking that"