Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kith posted:

the perfect tactical accessory

A friend of mine had a stack of old Soldier of Fortune magazines as well as a US Cavalry mail-order catalog when I was a kid and this reminds me of all the ridiculous bullshit you'd see in that. Apparently US Cavalry went out of business in 2013, which is much later than I would have expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'm imagining a berth full of sailors lovingly massaging each others rear end lumps with broomsticks. No one in this scenario is wearing a shirt.

incidentally, it was the 30th anniversary of Tom Laaksonen's death last week

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

lookit this oxymoron

Hyperlynx posted:

Google to the rescue again

yeah aghast is a good word for whatever the gently caress is going on there

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CainFortea posted:

they're terrible though. They only cut if you can get the material close up to the plate.

You know what power tool has destroyed the most digits and limbs? 8" circular saw.

With one of these

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If anything, the USAF has the dumbest sword fetish possible; giant anime swords that officers order their subordinates to "award" them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I remember seeing a shirt that was like "Iraqi Calendar 1991" and it ended on the 17th of January. Just like, wow, you want to completely erase an entire nation, and wow, people really want to wear that on their bodies. The bloodthirst was real.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Please be a tattoo
Please be a tattoo
Please be a tattoo
Please be a tattoo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I can imagine the conversation with their rep like "so when are you getting it? How deep? Wow! Uh huh. I don't care. Go get it"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It would have been great if Glomar Explorer hauled up the Soviet sub and discovered it was jam-packed with manganese nodules.

what's the significance of manganese nodules here?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And none of the Russians went "hang on that sounds insanely expensive and difficult for something we can just strip out of our satellite states for pennies"? Manganese isn't exactly rare.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MRC48B posted:

Howard Hughes was a reclusive hermit who had significant mental illness at that point, so Soviet intelligence probably had bigger priorities.

oh, well then they had a perfect cover story

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
USS Winston Churchill executive officer fired after refusing to get COVID vaccine

quote:

Cmdr. Lucian Kins was relieved of his duties Friday as second in command of the USS Winston Churchill, a destroyer, by Navy Capt. Ken Anderson, commander of Naval Surface Squadron 14. Officials said Kins was the first naval officer to be fired as a result of a vaccine refusal.

Navy spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Jason Fischer declined to give the precise reason why Kins was relieved of command, citing privacy concerns. Fischer, who is spokesman for the Naval Surface Force Atlantic, said the reason for the firing was that Anderson lost confidence in Kins' ability to perform his duties after he failed to obey a lawful order.

He's been relieved of his role and from what it sounds like, sent to a desk while they sort it out. Pretty stupid hill for a destroyer XO to die on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Great read Platy, cheers for that.

Weird how in January 1917, Germany was offering Mexico "generous financial support" while also being about a month away from melting down village church bells to turn into more guns.

Edit:

piL posted:

If I ever got to name a series of weapons, they would be named for valedictions.

RGM-# "WARM REGARDS,"
AIM-# "CORDIALLY,"
UGM-# "WITH PROFOUNDEST VENERATION,"

Powerful "GSV A Profound Shortage Of You Know What" energy

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The face I made reading this

My wife asked me if I have a toothache

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Not sure what neosporin guy was

Kith posted:

One of my brother's guys is in the ICU with a deep tissue infection because he used Neosporin as lube. His meat may be permanently ruined and his wife is making divorce noises because it happened while he was on deployment.

Starts there, doesn't end the way you think it does.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Those guys were mostly ex Army SF iirc

Yeah but they were still dumbasses

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1257786917552377856

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Seeing some reports today that the US armed forces have to date granted zero religious exemptions for COVID vaccines.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Your wording is a bit weird, do you mean JW won't accept any vaccines?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Valtonen posted:

No I mean JW are anti-blood products abd anti-vaccine, and Also anti-military. So most sects or Cults which are one are Also the other.

JW aren't anti-vaccine at all.

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jw-vaccines-immunization/

quote:

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Opposed to Vaccination?

No. Jehovah’s Witnesses are not opposed to vaccination. We view vaccination as a personal decision for each Christian to make. Many of Jehovah’s Witnesses choose to get vaccinated.

Maybe there's some public-acceptance-but-you'll-get-censured-behind-closed-doors sort of thing going on, I dunno.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrUnderbridge posted:

No. They are the vampires!

League of Temperance vampires maybe

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's a surprise to me, I thought those things were 'armless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/iAmTheWarax/status/1476513525774307332

You can tell how humble they are from all the books they write and podcasts they host telling you how humble they are.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
also depending on where it landed the local authorities can absolutely say "oh yeah, is that right? Middle of nowhere, rugged terrain, practically unreachable? Go loving get it'

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cult_hero posted:

Couldn't be that remote, given that he jumped without any visible survival gear. Likely he had a passenger, jumped over some rural area, second pilot popped up "oh, let's just restart the engine". Besides, no one wears a parachute unless they plan on jumping out.

yeah that's the vastly more likely explanation, that it was all just set up for ~~engagement~~

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

hahahahaha rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah that guy's a loving moron

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

it just owned itchy grundle, that's for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Icon Of Sin posted:

People’s ability to miss the point of media is on par with the accuracy of a Star Wars stormtrooper.

This is probably more deliberate than stupid, but still