Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Smiling Jack posted:

is that cat ok

That is literally all I care about in this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don Shipley (a guy who has a very enthusiastic hobby of taking 'fake SEALs' to task) has a great line about the "I can't talk about my time in the service/with the teams because it's classified": Ops are classified, service is not. Anyone who says their military record is classified is 100% full of poo poo, 100% of the time.

I would bet *money* that this "friend of a friend" loves to hit people up for money using his ~cred~ as an ~honourable souldieur~ as proof that he's 'good for it.'

Yeah. I work for Veteran's Affairs and it still amazes me when people try to tell me "I was a SEAL man, now I have PTSD" when I literally have their entire personnel file in front of me showing that they never even made it to Coronado. BTW, the graduating lists from service schools, such as BUD/S are not classified and are considered public records.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Internet Wizard posted:

One time during field day I had to feed the anthrax culture tanks and the VA still won’t give me benefits for it

You would not believe the number of people who believe they should get money from the VA because they were exposed to mustard gas in basic training....

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

stealie72 posted:

Isnt Jody supposed to be a civilian? Cant figure out the second guy.

His new 23 year old step-son who would have totally joined up, if not for the meth charges....

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Honestly, why they don't just snip every recruit like they do with wisdom teeth is a bit of a mind boggler.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

It would make more sense to say people saw Aliens for the xenos than for any of the male actors compared to Ripley.

Who were also biologically female....

But we all know that Paul Reiser was the driving force behind that film.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is there something about Naval mines where they couldn't just plant explosives on it and do a controlled detonation? We're they just trying to do things as cheaply as possible?

I think they were trying to use it to clear a mine field? This would have been during the Yugoslav war and it seems that they were doing it for effect....

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

McNally posted:

I went through basic about a year after the army switched over to ACUs. Then one day I saw a dude in another company marching in formation but sticking out like a sore thumb because he was in BDUs.

Dude kept getting hurt so he’d been in basic for a year.

I was that dude in the Navy, except it was when they were phasing out the dungarees (bell bottom blue jeans). Dammit if those weren't some of the most comfortable pants I ever owned and they made my rear end look great.

Come to think of it, that may have been a design feature....

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

A battalion of loving Brads could kill off a WW2 German army.

Up until the civil war, the rule was that the army of a previous generation could keep up with an army of the current generation. Napoleon's army could hold their own against Grant, Alexander could hold his own against Caesar, etc.

This changes immediately post civil war due to the industrial revolution and changes in tactics. The US Army of WW1 would obliterate Grant's army, Ike's army obliterates Perishing's army, etc.

The US Army of 1991 vaporizes the Wehrmacht before Ze Germans are within visual range. Probably don't lose a man on the US side.

Hell, it was proposed to arm soldiers with longbows as late as the revolutionary war.

Also, aircraft from 1991 had a much higher operating altitude than even an ME 262, not to mention added things like RADAR and satellite reconnaissance... We could probably get berlin in a week with our post Vietnam military, no need for stealth super planes. The wehrmacht wasn't even fully mechanized. It's such a dumb argument to even consider, we got so much better at killing each other efficiently and creatively during the cold war.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Scratch Monkey posted:

*sniff* so brave!

So brave he took the tweet private....

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

growing up in the Charlotte media market owned, couldn't get enough of Jesus Liberace every morning before school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxcfDe5MRTw

No, just no no no. Leroy Jenkins is not a weird starfucker Florida evangelical..... He needs his rear end eaten by whelps. And he ain't gettin no chicken.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The only thing that can stop a toddler with a gun is a newborn with a gun

Clearly we just need to make sure we've armed all the dogs first.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/27/a-dog-shoots-a-person-almost-every-year-in-america/

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Memento posted:

also depending on where it landed the local authorities can absolutely say "oh yeah, is that right? Middle of nowhere, rugged terrain, practically unreachable? Go loving get it'

Couldn't be that remote, given that he jumped without any visible survival gear. Likely he had a passenger, jumped over some rural area, second pilot popped up "oh, let's just restart the engine". Besides, no one wears a parachute unless they plan on jumping out.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Here's something that totally happened in the exact context provided:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u...9?ocid=msedgntp

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Yes.

My question is is it Lieutenant Colonels or Lieutenants Colonel?

Nobles waiting for promotion or retirement.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Elviscat posted:

In TAPS today:

Some guy getting kicked out for refusing the vaccine: "I was honorably discharged when I reenlisted, so I can just put that on resumés, right?"

VA dude: "Sure!"

The rep was right though. It's considered a conditional discharge so long as they completed their first period of active duty. The 214 will usually say something like "continuous honorable service from 01012000 to 01012004" or something like that, even though their final period was less than fully honorable. So even though they may have gotten a BCD or straight up dishonorable, they would still be able to get most of the same benefits as someone who's 214 said honorable.

That said though, any job that provides some sort of perk for veterans is going to want to see the 214, which will indicate their final character of discharge and the reason.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

GD_American posted:

There’s a reason VFW and American Legion are having generational recruitment issues. It’s because ofhow many of their members are racist entitled shitheads who are close to death

It also doesn't help that the American Legion was founded as a right wing reactionary organization, even going so far as to invite Mussolini to speak at their national convention.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
So which one of y'all were posting M1 specs to show how the Abrams can totally take out 2 Merkeva at night with a down facing angle?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Dick Burglar posted:

Well of course--the pilot's an officer and they're enlisted. (Edit: except the ensign, but ensigns are plenty disposable too.)

The ensign is definitely hosed (not Leavenworth level, but never in a command position above the auxiliary janitorial unit). The chiefs will at most get reduced to E-6 and allowed to retire with their high three.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

My enlisted son married your stripper daughter.

My reservist JAG 1LT daughter helped your enlisted son annul his marriage to that dude's stripper daughter.

But then they got in a relationship and he got an Art 15 and she got a verbal reprimand.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

boop the snoot posted:

My enlisted subforum beat the poo poo out of a dead horse.

My equine therapy cured your crappy attitude.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I have a Juris Doctor. So that counts right? I can be Dr. cult_hero Esq. right?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

You can't qualify as a lawyer unless you're stealing something.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I kinda wonder, when do the seriously mentally impaired muscle bound start just literally eating each other? I mean they're almost pure protein at their height, so it seems logical....

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Hyperlynx posted:

Me too. Who doesn't enjoy cheerful, silly circus clown music?

... Hold on, I'm just being handed a note...

Know what, I've been doing claim review for VA for more than a decade, and, while my memory sucks, I swear I've seen "clown" listed as an MOS on a 214.....

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I stab tires for a living, and in my professional opinion, these tire stabbing videos make me very uncomfortable.

You should try studding them instead. Much safer, plus you get to watch tires gently caress.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
So sad, Rat Race is one of those shining lights of late 90's comedy.

Edit: NM, guess, that was a different bloated pasty faced white guy....

My bad.

cult_hero fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 19, 2022

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

canyoneer posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/loogunda/status/1541882736297869314

How are they going to practice their cheer routine if they need to spend all that time cleaning the sand out of their rifles?

Is this a new Pikmin game?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Internet Wizard posted:

It really says something about how carefully we screen people that he was able to move to active duty 4 months after participating in a coup attempt.

But it would qualify as a fraudulent enlistment right? Knowing of a disqualifying factor for active duty and knowingly failing to disclose that upon enlistment, would potentially be subject to punishment under the UCMJ.

Not a JAG, but maybe he'll get some time in Leavenworth. Or at least a dishonorable. Maybe.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Yes, Guam, that mysterious island in the mist, the American Brigadoon. What treasures and adventures await us in this forgotten land?

No one tell this guy about Diego Garcia, he might go to Mexico.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

maffew buildings posted:

Damn4real? Too bad they aren't black teenagers who at one point in their lives held a wallet then, I guess

They were jewish and did get executed, so kind of unclear on your point there...

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

bulletsponge13 posted:

Don't wear hoodies with the hood down if you are doing Hoodrat poo poo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChXxcaqujDJ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Kid is hosed. Won't be able to continue his education track, won't be able to serve, probably won't get VA C&P, is permanently hosed, and might have to pay back tuition to top it all off.

Nah, he's good. Service academies are treated like ADT or IADT. He had a documented injury during the period, so it's gonna get service connected.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Jimmy Smuts posted:

gently caress this earth.

How does the VA deal with common problems like tinnitus? One can't prove it either way. Hell, mine comes and goes as it wants.

If you're looking at service connection, generally, they'll just take your word for it. Everyone is presumed to have noise exposure regardless of MOS and if you tell the VA that your tinnitus started in service, they'll believe you. The only hurdle is not getting a lovely examiner for your hearing eval who wants evidence of it, but pretty much every time a denial of tinnitus gets overturned on appeal.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The new military industrial lawsuit hotness is Camp Lejune having toxic water, but that one has a far older start and end date iirc.

The lovely thing is that pretty much every base qualifies as a superfund site.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Hyperlynx posted:

Stupid question, but are medical issues that require ongoing medication - mental health or otherwise - not a logistical liability?

I take antidepressants myself, and if I miss a dose I immediately get unpleasant physical withdrawal symptoms.

Try finding an e7 and up who doesn't have a permanent profile for their CPAP....

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

canyoneer posted:

But there's a good reason none of that stuff is in his DD214
https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1573346732775194630

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you

Love these guys. It's always "I was a SEAL, a shadow warrior so all my service records are classified." Then you find that they were never within 1000 miles of Coronado and were constantly in a weight management program. You can literally call the Naval Special Warfare school to see if someone ever graduated BUD/S as it's public record.

Only about 1% of the U.S. population serves, it's stupid in this day and age to lie about your service when just getting the Veteran status is more than most others.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

McNally posted:

O-5 equivalent equivalent.

That GS to paygrade scale is so stupid though, it says my job is equivalent to an O-5 when it could easily be done by any high school drop out who could read a federal regulation.

On second thought, maybe that is the equivalent of an officer...

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Here's an idiot story from Reddit's "Am I the rear end in a top hat" advice forum:

AITA for wanting to move into a house With my husband?

She has her own right to a VA loan (generally no need for a down payment) so i dont get why he insists on saving up.

Plus waiting 18 years for kids? The guy married her, dumped her on his mom like his orphaned bastard, all so he can live in the barracks?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"And what did we learn?" :v:

It's upside down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

hailthefish posted:

loving hell how did they get a fetus into a uniform?

Infantry?