Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think it's more a mentality of "I survived the Cold War/AIDS epidemic/Cuban Missile Crisis/Vietnam War/whatever so this doesn't scare me."

Also - old people don't think they are old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I lived in Egypt for a while and can definitively state that there is no chance that any element of this story is exaggerated. The older they get, the more likely an Egyptian woman is to chase you into a bathroom if it means they'll get some baksheesh. In 2009, 10 Egyptian pounds would have been around $2 USD.

Eh, in other countries - its not unusual for women to be in the restroom cleaning, or handing out poo poo tickets. Like - you're taking a piss and the cleaning lady is next to you scrubbing the other urinal. I've had to use lower currency notes before when mid blasting I realize the paper provided wasn't going to cut it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CainFortea posted:

You know, now that I think about it I can't recall seeing a single episode in a serious cop drama or police procedure show that has a cop killing a civilian.

Southland had a bad shoot if I'm remembering right. There was a lot of hosed up poo poo in The Shield too.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Well - there are competing interests in the FFG program but to cover some of the main ones:

1) Get something worthwhile over the LCS
2) Get something as fast as possible

None of the weapon systems on the FFG program are new or bespoke for the ship. The LCS had basically, almost all new weapon systems outside of the 30mm gun and 57mm gun and I think the 57 was new to the US Navy at that time. The minesweeping package, the Non-line of sight missile system (guess where that went) were all concurrently developed. All of those have had hosed up problems and the Non-line of sight solution is now a hellfire that I think still isn't being fielded.

The Navy weighed the risk during the procurement to use a parent based design to help speed up the procurement and to use weapon and defensive systems already in use. The major thing that the FFG doesn't have is it's main radar, but, that's being developed for the Flight III Burke, a backfit option for Flight IIs, and for use on the next Ford carrier. So while they may gently caress up the radar, I doubt it will be because of the LCS replacement.

The main challenge with using a parent based design, is that it's a contractor provided estimate and my guess is getting a 3rd party audit of the costs opens up all sorts of legal issues due to proprietary company data. This isn't the case of the Navy designing a ship and putting it out to bid ala DDG-1000. Speaking of the Navy's other surface combatant initiative, check out that poo poo show. We now have a "stealth" DDG that's had all sorts of poo poo bolted onto it, plus 2 155 guns with no ammo. Aside from the VLS, all the weapon systems forward the bridge are essentially prop-guns. And, if we continue with a "traditional" procurement, let's check out the Ford - on the other hand, no, let's stay with this parent design for a second.

Additionally, the FFG is a fixed-price incentive contract which should help drive costs lower to the target set by the Navy. I think everyone expects the costs to be above the estimate, but, it's not starting off as a cost-plus contract and the weapon systems and other GFE are either existing or major programs of record (ESSM Block IIs, etc.)

So, given the resounding success of the DDG-1000, CVN Ford, and LCS, I'm cool with seeing if this parent based design strategy helps get a ship closer to build time and budget.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

Someone remember to quote this post in a couple years when the frigates are hellaciously over budget and behind schedule and just generally a total clusterfuck.

It probably will be a clusterfuck. There are just a few programs that come to mind that haven't been dumpster fires in the past 2 decades.

And to quote myself

TCD posted:

I think everyone expects the costs to be above the estimate

The concept behind this procurement is that it should be less overbudget compared to the LCS and DDG-1000 programs and fielded/built faster. These are pretty low bars.

The DDG-1000 took 8ish years from funding to commission and was ~215% to 535% overbudget.
LCS-2 took 5 years from award to commission and was ~319% overbudget with a half functioning mission module. I think the mission modules were additional costs outside of the contract. Also - they want to decommission the LCS 1,2,3, and 4 now lol.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Wild T posted:

Not exactly a phantom shitter, but I decided to prank my boss in Bagram in '06. I took an empty takeout tray to the port-a-john, dropped a deuce in it, then brought it with me when he was giving me a lift to post and conveniently left it in his Humvee.

He pulled into my post later and just yelled "Hey Wild T, thanks for the poo poo" and drove off. Good boss.

Some good friends of ours where in the Peace Corp in Africa prior to us meeting them. We were working together in Africa talking about how we all got the shits from eating at a restaurant the other night so the husband was like - hey babe, tell them the McDonald's story.

So, they were out in the bush for 2 years after graduating from college, and as part of their out-processing in the capital, they had to get stool samples for worms, etc. Anyways, the night before, they decided to eat some McDees as they've been on rice and beans and bushmeat for a few years. Next morning, the wife collects her morning dump and they realize they have no bags but the Golden Arch - no problem. In the taxi ride on the way to the clinic they decided to stop at a mall. First mall they've been too in awhile, etc. They hop in a new taxi to head to the clinic when the husband realizes - no McDonald's bag. So some African probably hopped into a taxi and thought they scored a free McDonald's meal only to be terribly disappointed. Or the driver opened the bag and thought our friends were into some crazy poo poo.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Not explicitly military, but I saw this and immediately thought of this thread because this is an extremely enlistment bonus move.

28% APR, more or less 1.2k every month until 2028 :allears:

10 bucks that car is repo'd or totaled in under a year.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

hello sweet friend

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, my desks at various jobs have been messes but when I clean it up I can’t find a goddamn thing. When it’s just wherever I always remember what I was doing the last time I had it and can find it in a snap. I usually remember stuff by associations, too, so I can put together weird connections in a snap but trying to sit down and memorize is a bad time.

Same.

"Hot desks" or shared cubes due to COVID is my nightmare.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I found an idiot, hopefully a bot:

https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1326185187668078592?s=20

Nate Cain guy goes on a spiel about his military record and then claims that the Dems hacked the election.

LOL I know a ton of CISSPs and I wouldn't trust them to manage my weekly grocery order.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

GD_American posted:

That's some E7 poo poo right there

quote:

Starr pulled his Dodge Charger into a church parking lot and made the boy get out in the rain

Making a 5 yr old get out of the car, in the rain and in the dark? What a cruel person.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Wild T posted:

And yeah, it definitely tracks that wherever you go people are generally going to be cool as long as you are, too. I went to Paris -- loving Paris, the city legendary for being rude -- and everyone was chill presumably just because I didn't act like an entitled horse's rear end.

I can think of maybe one time where anyone even hassled me for being American, and that was some drunk dude at Rock Am Ring who I just blew off because I was half lit and just wanted to have a good time and not debate global politics with a fat drunk dude.

I went to Paris over the 4th of July after recently doing a bunch of wine tasting in Bordeaux a month prior (which I found to be meh). Anyways, we had to wait a while for a table at a locals place down some small alley and by the time the waiter came over I was hot and thirsty, so the waiter asks us what wine we'd like. If you ever seen sideways, I was that guy, but instead of merlot it was Bordeaux at a Parisian cafe. My wife was petrified, and I realized I had to do some quick damage control. Rattled off a few of the vineyards we went to and my criticisms of the wine. So instead of damage control I ended up doubling down on my rant. My wife now has her mouth open and looking at picking up things to leave.

At this point, I realize I'm the loud American idiot that just took a figurative poo poo on his wine. Except he slaps me on the shoulder and says how he also hates Bordeauxs and we should try this other region that was his favorite. We chatted about wine and had great service that evening. My wife still brings up that story from time to time where I was that idiot and got away with it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Wild T posted:

The Reddit thread taught me that it's evidently a thing now to try to fire .50 BMG rounds using 12 gauge shotguns. Nope nope nope, I don't want to be anywhere within shrapnel distance of that. That gives me the same kinda squicky unease as hearing about folks shooting .40 S&W out of 10mm semiautos because the extractor holds the shorter round kinda in the vicinity of the chamber.

.40sw in 10mm should still have barrel and slide lock up. It's just not head spacing off the chamber mouth by 3.6mm? so it's on the extractor, but slightly lower pressure. The entire .40 brass should be in the chamber of the 10mm barrel that's rated for higher pressure. I'd still rate this as a not a good idea but it's not near the same level of unease when you look at pressures from a 12 gauge to .50 bmg and that's not even considering smooth bore, etc.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

TK-42-1 posted:

vilerat was a land of contrasts

the palest arms and the most vibrant blues

I still have him on my friends list on FB. Miss you buddy.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't think of deagles without thinking of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3eqZJrwCcc

Holy poo poo that was from 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

In the probably rare occurrence where you would need to do that. Otherwise you’re just carrying around a 4.5lb handgun for shits and giggles.

I thought about getting one when I lived in Alaska to replace my 12 gauge when hiking/camping. But I figured I'd probably only get 1 shot off if I needed it on a charging bear, so I might as well go with something I could shoulder.