Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prologue: Events 1 - 6
Chapter 1: Glimpse Events 7 - 21
Chapter 2: Fog of War Events 22 - 45
Chapter 3: The Shadow Dancer Events 46 - 110
Chapter 4: Those Who Ward - Events 115 - 186
Chapter 5: One Week - Events 200 - 270
Chapter 6: Containment Breach - Events 271 - 273
Epilogue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This memory intentionally left blank.

Fear. You feel a terrible, overwhelming fear. It's coming. You walk into a cave to hide. At least you think you do, or hope so - truth be told, you're not even sure you're awake. You hear a woman's voice.

quote:

Please, remember. Please. Whatever happens. Remember who you are. Do not make the same mistake as the others.

You think really hard. Your mind wanders. Your vision blurs, then it fades completely. Darkness fills your thoughts. Your memory is fading. It wanders through a few pathways. Everything is fading.

A) Preparing a poison to pour on a drink.
B) A woman, singing in velvet dress. She looks gorgeous.
C) Beating up someone with a club in an alley.
D) Your identity. Y̶o̴ur͏ ̧i̷denti̧t̶y̛. Y͜҉ò̢u͠ŕ ̧̛i͢d͞é͢n̡̕tit̡y.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That which you knew.

CYOA Discord: https://discord.gg/uwUYXeE - Request role @Kalista to get pinged on updates, or check our channel #now-where-was-i
Player Stats Lookup: http://mementoofkali.com/player/ - No registration needed.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/elentor
------------------------------------------
Gameplay Rules

Every time you're given a list of choices, a roll will be done between all the choices. For example:
A) Run away.
B) Move forward.

If two people vote A and two people vote B, then there's a 50/50 chance either will be picked. All dice rolls will be logged. Custom choices and Events are allowed. These will not always succeed.
New players are encouraged to join in. Because of the random system, every vote counts, and upsets have been known to occur. Because I can see where the random rolls landed, in some cases a single vote was the difference between an upset and the majority vote.

Glimpses:
Skull Bash - Your critical strikes have a chance to stun.
Boltproof - Adds 1 Extra Body Armor Slot. Allows you to wear a second set of light or medium armor underneath a light armor.
Backbone - You cannot take damage bigger than 50% max health in one hit.
Multi-Class: Berserker - 20% Less Fatigue Effect. Unlocks Berserker Traits.
[Action] Berserk - Enters a Berserker Rage. [Unit 4]
[Unit 4: Senser]
[Unit 4: Speech]

Controlled Trance - While under Berserk, you are immune to the following effects from physical, mental and magical sources: Feared, Confused, Controlled, Manipulated, Demoralized, or forced to perform [Any] [Action] that would hurt an Ally.]
[Action] Break Composure - Temporarily breaks someone's self-control and composure, disrupting their concentration.

Yasha-Mar's Glimpse - Susi and Susaria
Aisaiya's Glimpse - Barge Chase
One-Six's Glimpse - The Amazon Refugee

Delve - Writings
Delve - Unit 4: Gossip
Delve - Unit 4: East Vast
Delve - Unit 4: Mender
Delve - Unit 4: Chief
Delve - Unit 4: ??????????
Delve - Yasha-Mar's Glimpse: HIDDEN
Delve - Yuga-Clarice's Glimpse: Wide Aura [Unit 37]
Delve - Barge Chase: Traitor

Interception - Turina's Rescue (Link to Index of Content)

Short Story - The Last Job
Short Story - Your First Time
Short Story - The Huntress
Current Party

Cheryl:

Memento: "You are special. Trust only your senses."

Adrenaline:

Memento: "Don't fight in the war, don't believe it's over. Others will say it is."

Fasuana of the Axe:

Memento: "Find daughter and husband."

Vitoria:

Memento: "Find mother and father."

One-Six:

Memento: "Avoid the Scars, regardless of what you remember. They are not your enemies."

Area Maps:

Thread Level: 9
Unlocked per Level:
L4: [All][Players] gain [Experience Bonus per Thread Level]
L4: [All][Players] gain [Experience Bonus per Thread Post Amount]
L6: View Basic Character Stats
Current Player Exp Bonus: 16.3x

Unlocked by Voting:
L2: View Basic Player Stats
L3: View Area Map
L4: View Basic Player Commands
L5: View Advanced Player Commands
Patches:
Patch 1.1 Patch 1.2 Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4 Patch 1.5 Patch 1.6
Patch 1.7 Patch 1.8 Patch 1.9
Patch 1.10 Patch 1.11 Patch 1.12
Player Stats
You can view your stats here: http://mementoofkali.com/player/
No registration or anything is necessary.

Each player has 4 basic Attributes:

Vote Power - Flat increase on your raw Vote Score.
Bad Luck Protection - Increases your Vote Score based on how many wrong choices you've been making lately. Increases the chance to perform a Desperado if you have failed too many times in a row.
Real Life Obligations - Increases your Energy Regen and your Streak Bonus. Mitigates Streak Loss for Inactivity.
Critical Strike - Increases your chance to perform a critical strike and a critical strike multiplier.

These influence the following stats:
Vote Score - The final tally, your "damage". These are increased by your Vote Power and your Level, and are multiplied by Desperado, Limits, Crits and Energy.
Energy - Every time you perform an action you regen some energy. Crits, custom action or events outside of Events that are [Optional] greatly reduce your energy. Your Vote Score is influenced by how much Energy you have.

Every time you Level, you gain a random basic attribute and some Vote Score.

Different Events add different Experience amounts. Every choice in an Event adds the same amount of Experience.
Credits:
Theme of Kali - Composed by Luiza and I.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 28, 2022

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Looking forward to see what weird twists and turns this ends up having

I'll toss in a vote for C, the action-packed option

Jojozinho
Sep 12, 2008
Voting for D

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

D. Remember.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

B

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Super Librarian hits Option C for 1 Vote.
Jojozinho hits Option D for 1 Vote.
Arcanuse hits Option D for 1 Vote.
AnAnonymousIdiot hits Option B for 1 Vote.

Result: Option D wins. (50.0%)

You keep focused. Remember. Remember. You're Ellen. The pain becomes agonizing, but you stay focused. You're Vanya. You're Redian. You're - no, you're Él̀len. El̷l͠en.

"I am a bodyguard. I worked for... for... " - the name escapes. You consider travelling that memory lane, the one that will take you towards her name, but you ignore it. She told you to remember who you are, and nothing else.

"I used to rough people up. We did jobs. Jobs... jobs... you kill people. Killed. Don't be surprised." Each word stings like a needle. You need to choose them more carefully.

"Bod͜ygu̢a͘r͠d. Él̵̷͜l͘e̛҉n̢҉͜. A̸s͘͡s̴a͘s̢͞s̸̷̢i̧n̴͢. 2͠8. T̨͠ḩ̸̛͝ȩ͟ ̡̡͟W̛̕͞o̡͘r҉̢҉̡ļ͏d̷̶̀͝ ̵̛h̷͏̀͜͝ą̷̵̸͞s͏̕͏̨ ̧̀é̡̧̕ņ̵́-"

And then, other than these thoughts, all your memories fade.

Your final thoughts are "Is that it? Is that all I could remember? drat I'm lame" before everything turning to black.

You feel a warmth in your chest. It's comfortable. But you really would like just five more minutes.

It's getting hotter. You start hearing a cracking sound.

Now it's really hot. drat, it's burning.

You start seeing cracks, and then there's a thundering explosion. You become blinded for a few seconds. You raise your left hand. It looks covered in amber. There's amber all over the floor. You seem to be in a cave of sorts. You have no idea how you got here or who you are.

A: Stay still and inspect the surroundings.
B: Try to find an exit.
C: Recompose and try to recollect your memories.
D: Inspect yourself.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 29, 2019

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

C. "No matter what happens, remember who you are."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
C

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

D

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
D

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Arcanuse hits Option C for 1 Vote.
Junpei hits Option C for 1 Vote.
Average Lettuce hits Option D for 1 Vote.
sephiRoth IRA hits Option D for 1 Vote.

Result: Option D wins. (50.0%)

You're quick to realize that you have little to no memory, but you understand the concept of amnesia. Your language center seems intact. You decide to inspect yourself and look for clues.

Your back is slightly stuck to the amber. You forcefully pull yourself out.

You seem to be dressed in a dark suit, with a single button. It's hot and you're definitely not dressed for the occasion, but your suit looks nice and unscathed by whatever occurred, which is surprising considering that some of the amber shards on the ground look very sharp and some explosion of sorts just happened to break it.

Your hand shows some scars. Instinctively you assume they're knife scars. You feel slightly scared at the thought that you may be a violent person, or that you may have been involved in fights before. No blood anywhere. Good. Okay. Stay calm. Actually, you are calm. This is somewhat unsettling.

You're a woman. Part of you knew that, part of you seems surprised. It felt like a 50/50 roll. You wonder if this is how "it is" for an amnesiac or if it's just a particular brand of memory fuckery going on with you. You have long hair, from the bangs around your head. It looks brown. You don't remember your face or how you look.

You look for a clue on your suit, but the thing has no pockets. "Okay, no one uses pockets on a suit", you think to yourself. You're wearing long, black trousers. You reach for the pockets on your trousers and find some paper rolls.

It's hard to read in a pitch-black cave but hey, the cave isn't pitch-black. Where is the light coming from, anyway? Either way, you look closely.

The papers are blank. Some are short notes, some are long parchment-like pieces. They all look very used and worn out, but there's nothing written in them.

You carefully look at each one of them. You can clearly see the marks of a pen in some of them, but there is no text. There is no text anywhere to be found. No matter how much you squint your eyes.

You remember seeing some runes adorning the bottom half of your suit. You think to yourself that maybe they're text, but when you look back you don't see anything there. Must have been the darkness playing tricks on you.

It's very hot and you're sweating. You feel like it's important to remember, but you hear a strange noise in the distance, and that takes you back to reality.

You:

A) Inspect your Surroundings
B) Rush away from where you are

And then:

A) Look for an Exit
B) Explore the Cave

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 19, 2019

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

B and A

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A then A

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

A and B

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A then B

also the rune thing is a really neat trick

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
B then B

Kneejerk reactions + curiosity can never go wrong, right?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Oh hey this seems neat.

A then A

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A
B

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

A and B

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
A then B

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Rolling Choice for Event 3:

Average Lettuce hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Arcanuse hits Option A for 1.1 Vote.
Super Librarian hits Option A for 0.9 Vote.
Dog Kisser hits Option A for 1 Vote.
Moleboy hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Theantero hits Option A for 1 Vote.
malbogio hits Option A for 1 Vote.
cat_herder hits Option A for 1 Vote.
Cannon_Fodder hits Option A for 1 Vote.

Result: Option A wins with majority vote. (77.7%)

quote:

Rolling Choice for Event 4:

Average Lettuce hits Option A for 1.1 Vote.
Arcanuse hits Option A for 1 Vote.
Super Librarian hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Dog Kisser hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Moleboy hits Option B for 1.1 Vote.
Theantero hits Option A for 1 Vote.
malbogio hits Option B for 1 Vote.
cat_herder hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Cannon_Fodder hits Option B for 1 Vote.

Result: Option B wins with majority vote. (66.3%)

Arcanuse has leveled up to Level 2! Critical Strike goes up by 1.

You finally take your first steps forwards. It is not as hard as you thought it would be. Whatever put you out kept your body in perfect stasis.

Nevermind, you just vomited. poo poo. I probably need to get hydrated. Taking your first steps, you feel a bit dizzy.

"Okay. I'm Ellen. I am... 28 I think."

"Am I still 28 if years have passed? How long have I been out?"

This is where you came from. Looks like an amber cocoon that burst open. The amber itself emits a very soft glow.

To the left of where you... spawned, there's a hole in the wall. It looks like this was someone else's cocoon, and the amber melted, liquified into a pool, then hardened again. Without the thick amber on the walls you can see that the hole doesn't look natural - It is way too round, way too smooth.

Whoever was here must have been with you or must have followed you. You wonder who it was. A sudden fear strikes you that whoever that person was, it may have gotten out years ago, and may not even be alive anymore.

Looking around the ground, searching for a weapon, you find a piece of amber that seems to be melting. You look at it and there is something glowing inside, pulsating. You wait until the amber is gone and take the piece away for a closer look.

It seems to be some sort of gem, with a fiery pulse inside. You admire it for a while - it almost looks like there is a flame trapped in. Now that it's outside the amber, it's acting like a lamp of sorts. It's hot to the touch, but it's not painful. You hold it in your hand to explore the cave. You grab a sharp shard of amber to use it as a make-do dagger - you could use your newfound fiery gem, but you don't want to accidentally break it, whatever it is.

The cave is fairly linear until you reach a bifucartion. To your right you see a tunnel, and the literal light at the end of the tunnel. Even from this distance, it looks blinding. You decide to explore the cave a bit more before leaving.

You follow the tunnel to your left until you find a very odd scene. Stuck in a room with very little space to move, a gigantic bat is sleeping, and snoring. The bat is as tall as you, and the room scarcely has space for the bat, the tunnel also being too narrow for the bat to leave. You look around but you can't see any other entrance or exit. The bat is way too large and your "weapon" doesn't really seem appropriate to deal with it.

A) Attack the Bat anyway
B) Leave the Bat alone and exit the Cave

X) Custom Event: Shout at the Bat.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 31, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

The bat appears unable to pursue us.

Shout at the bat from a safe distance to see how it reacts.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A level and a critical strike, huh? Wonder what that might do.

B. It's peacefully asleep, and isn't likely to be going anywhere if we want to deal with it later.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Rolling Choice for Custom Event.

malbogio hits Option A for 1 Vote.

Result: Option A wins unanimously! (100.0%)
Previous Event voting still ongoing.

You shout at the Bat. The monster screeches loudly, startled when it sees you. The gem in your hand resonates and burns. You're caught off by surprise, and drop the gem on the floor. Luckily it doesn't roll off.

For a brief moment the monster calms down, then it opens its mouth and tries to force its head closer to bite you. It looks hungry. Its mouth is dry. You get this strange sensation that it hasn't fed in ages. It screeches, tries to move, then howls in agony. You stand down to grab the gem and step back from the creature.

The bat stares at you. After a while, it stops howling, but it keeps staring at you. Slowly, it puts its head down. It makes a sad noise then goes back to sleep.

You step back all the way to the bifurcation, staring at the bat, as it fades into darkness. Part of you feels sorry for it, part of you feels extremely uncomfortable.

Proceed.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 31, 2019

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

B

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

B

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PM Inquiry posted:

[7:49 PM] Redacted: do you get more exp for answers that win
[7:49 PM] Elentor: no
[7:50 PM] Elentor: I think that would favor people gaming the system
[7:50 PM] Elentor: you get the same amount of xp for a wrong answer

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

B

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Rolling Choice for Event 5: Leaving the Cave

Junpei hits Option B for 0.6 Vote.
Arcanuse hits Option B for 1.3 Vote.
Moleboy hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Super Librarian hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Theantero hits Option B for 1.1 Vote.
malbogio hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Not Alex hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Average Lettuce hits Option B for 1.2 Vote.

Result: Option B wins unanimously! (100.0%)

Super Librarian has leveled up to Level 2! Vote Power goes up by 1.
Average Lettuce has leveled up to Level 2! Real Life Obligations goes up by 1.
Thread has leveled up to Level 2!

When you're a kid, time passes by so slowly. Entire mornings can feel as long as a day.

"Wait, what am I thinking? I don't... even remember being a kid."

quote:

But you remember what being a kid feels like.

"Yeah..."

"Will I die as soon as I leave the cave? If not, then this cave... will it even matter in the grand scheme of things?"

How long did you spend here? 5 minutes? One hour?

"This cave is all you know. You're like a kid in it."

quote:

No, it's not irrelevant. You just saw a bunch of really weird things. These are your memories.

"Is this even the exit? Am I gonna just find some room filled with torches? gently caress that noise, I want to leave this place."

You start walking faster and faster. You want to leave.

The blinding light slowly gives way. You see a huge field of salt, with no end in sight.

You realize that you're still blinded by light and you're just seeing an illusion. The salt fields fade into nothingness. You close your eyes and slowly raise your left eyelid. Looking down, the light flashes and hurts, but you start seeing some brown. Very slowly you open both eyes and turn your head up again.

"It's not a cave. Oh thank goodness."

Wow, you are high. It's a good thing you didn't walk any further, because right ahead of you there's a fall to your death. You take a look to admire the view. You take note that you don't feel any vertigo or fear of heights. Looking down you see some canyons, with a big mesa in the middle. Right now you seem to be even higher than it.

Looking to your left you see you're on a slightly taller layer that connects with the wall to your left. You're not a geography expert, but much like the hole in the cave wall, your cavern entrance also looks very unnatural.

Out of the cave, there's a ledge to the right that takes you all the way to the floor. The path is not too narrow. You walk a long way down. As you go down you feel a nice breeze, then you hear a popping sound. The pressure in your ears is changing. You sit down a bit to relax, you're at about the same height as the mesa. You chill for a few minutes. Your nausea is passing. You still feel hungry and thirsty, but not as much as you'd expect.

You finish going all the way down.

Looking up, you can see it's about noon. Time to plan for your next course of action.

A) As Ellen, [Act], [Think] or [Check Inventory] Freely

Thread has Leveled Up (Level 2)! Please choose a Perk:
TA) View Area Map
TB) See Player Commands (Basic)
TC) See Player Stats (Basic)

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 2, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Try and figure out if we know where we are. Have we visited this place before?

Also, TC

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

[Check Inventory] now that there is light and we can see what we have with us

Also TC

Moleboy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 31, 2019

Super Librarian