Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

A) Try and see if there is any life around us

Also, TC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Ongoing Event 6

Junpei posted:

Try and figure out if we know where we are. Have we visited this place before?

You look around. You think really hard, but you can't remember this place on a conscious level. You're sure that you've been here before as you get that sensation that this place isn't new, but other than that you can't recall its layout or anything else.

From the sight from the cave entrance, it looks like you're in a very vast desert area. The mesas extend far into the horizon.

Looking at the sun moving you seem to be directly underneath it. The sun was perfectly overhead just a few minutes ago and from its curvature you know your latitude is "sun is striking me with the sum total of its strength right now". From the sun's movement, you figure out that the cave is to your west. You feel smart for noticing these things, and then you also wonder that if you have this knowledge then you figuring these things out may be just a residual memory, and suddenly you feel slightly less smart. But still smart.

Average Lettuce posted:

A) Try and see if there is any life around us

Other than the huge bat you saw, you see only vegetation. There seems to be more vegetation to the south and north of the central mesa. You look at the plants and think if it's a good idea eating them just for the sake of eating something.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Check Inventory.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
take some vegetation but don't eat it, we can try smoke it after we find some water

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Ongoing Event 6
Check Inventory

You take a close look at all the stuff that you have. Without a backpack you can't carry much and, in fact, you aren't.

Proceed.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 1, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Search for Water

I don't see any signs of a stream. Maybe there is water near those trees in the distance or we can harvest stored water from them.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Try to make a hat from the leaves.

Nothing fancy, just something to keep the sunshine off the ol' noggin.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Voting is over for this Event.

quote:

Rolling Choice for Event 6: Free Action

Junpei hits Option A for 1.0 Vote.
Moleboy hits Option A for 1 Vote.
Super Librarian hits Option A for 1.5 Vote.
Arcanuse hits Option A for 1.2 Vote.
Jvie hits Option A for 1 Vote.
malbogio hits Option A for 1 Vote.
Average Lettuce hits Option A for 1.2 Vote.
The White Dragon hits Option A for 1 Vote.

Result: Option A wins unanimously! (100.0%)

Moleboy has leveled up to Level 2! Vote Power goes up by 1.
malbogio has leveled up to Level 2! Vote Power goes up by 1.

quote:

Rolling Choice for Event 7: Thread Level Up

Junpei hits Option C for 1 Vote.
Moleboy hits Option C for 1.5 Vote.
Super Librarian hits Option A for 1.5 Vote.
Arcanuse Crits Option C for 2.6 Vote.
Jvie hits Option C for 1 Vote.
malbogio hits Option B for 1.5 Vote.
Average Lettuce hits Option C for 1.2 Vote.

Result: Option C wins with majority vote. (71.4%)

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 2, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Player Stats (Basic) posted:

Each player has 4 Basic Attributes:

Vote Power - Flat increase on your raw Vote.
Bad Luck Protection - Increases your chance to perform a Desperado Attack if you have spent a lot of time without voting on a chosen option. Increases your chance to perform a LIMIT Break if your Desperado fails.
Real Life Obligations - Reduces your energy loss for missing a voting session, eventually turning it around into Rest Bonus instead. Increases your Energy Regen.
Critical Strike - Increases your chance to perform a critical strike and a critical strike multiplier.

These influence the following stats:
Vote - The final points. These are increased by your Vote Power and your Level, and are multiplied by Desperado, Limits, Crits and Energy.
Energy - Every time you perform an action you regen some energy. Every time you miss an event you lose a bit of energy. Performing custom action or events outside of Events that allow you to act Freely greatly reduce your energy. Your Vote Points are influenced by how much Energy you have.

Every time you level, you gain a random basic attribute and 0.2 Vote.

Different Events add different Experience amounts. Every choice in an Event adds the same amount of Experience. To request your Basic Stats, PM me or post your request.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 31, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Examine the ground. Is this dirt or sand?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcanuse posted:

Try to make a hat from the leaves.

Nothing fancy, just something to keep the sunshine off the ol' noggin.

It seemed logical at the time. You sat behind a rock and started crafting your version of a straw hat. You spent some minutes doing it, then a few more minutes, and then an hour has passed.

"I can't believe I'm doing this. I can't believe I'm doing this. Seriously."
"This is gonna look positively ridiculous."

A few more minutes go by.

"I need a few more leaves."
"I can't believe it. Yeah. I've lost my mind. Why am I doing this? Shouldn't I be looking for water?"

You eat one of the leaves, out of curiosity.

"Okay, this is better than nothing. I'm eating my hat."

You look to the skies. There are no birds around. You laugh to yourself. You're no longer thinking, but speaking outloud.

"Oh, I'm eating my hat, and I'm alone in the world. Have I gone mad?"

It takes you a while to realize how to make braids with the leaves, but by then it is too late. Your abomination of a hat is half done, and you really don't want to start over. You keep going over what you know.

"I'm Ellen. I'm 28. I used to be a bodyguard to someone. I have scars. I dress very well. I miss that someone. I don't know who she was. Why am I saying she? It must have been a woman. Did I have feelings for her? I don't think so. Was I a friend? Was it family?"

quote:

I guess you could say so.

"Was she with me? Was she the person who left the cocoon?"

"Should I have waited?"

You feel a sadness inside.

"Did she... wait and become that bat monster because of me?"

Now you're thinking crazy things.

"I'm getting paranoid. This isn't me."

quote:

How do you know who's "you"?

-I guess I don't.
-I guess, I'll speak to myself.

You look up to the sky. It's been three hours. You're sweating.

-I should have passed out, shouldn't I?

You equip your hat. You look up to the canyon wall in the distance.

-Oh Ellen, have you gone completely insane?

It is time to look for some water.

Proceed.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 1, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Rolling Choice for Custom Event.

Junpei hits Option A for 1 Vote.
GM: Common Sense hits Option A for 1 Vote.
GM: Heat hits Option B for 1 Vote.

Result: Option B wins. (33.3%)

Sorry Junpei, it seems like Ellen is too tired right now to pay attention to the ground composition.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Requesting:

Basic Stats of a joining player with no votes thus far.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Requesting my basic stats.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Player Requests posted:

"Arcanuse": {
"votes": 7,
"level": 2,
"exp": 706,
"energy": 92.0,
Redacted,
Redacted,
Redacted,
Redacted,
"votepower": 0,
"blp": 0,
"obligations": 0,
"crit": 1,
Redacted
},

"Hypothetical New Player": {
"votes": 0,
"level": 1,
"exp": 0,
"energy": 100.0,
Redacted,
Redacted,
Redacted,
Redacted,
"votepower": 0,
"blp": 0,
"obligations": 0,
"crit": 0,
Redacted
},

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You proceed to the south of the canyon, where you saw some trees. You follow close to the Canyon wall, trying to catch any shadow you possibly can. The sun is no longer scorching hot. It's around brillig, and you sit underneat a tree. Looking around you still don't see any signs of fauna.

Before following down south you take one last good look at the central mesa, when you notice that there's something odd. You walk closer and you see a skeleton rotting, sitting at the base of the canyon.

"Is this my fate?"

The skeleton seems to be there for a long time: There's no signs of flesh. The smell is neutral. There are a few bones that have fallen down their joints. There's nothing around it. The dead person is also stripped whole: No clothes, no weapons, no accessories to be salvaged. There are no spider webs covering it. Speaking of which, you look to the ground looking for insects, ants, anything, but you see none.

You don't know what to take from this encounter. You want to find water before night falls. You look around to see what your options are.

A) Ponder upon the Skeleton and try to find something useful around.
B) Inspect the trees around you.
C) Rush away. Time's a-ticking.

You see the exit from this area or so it seems, to the far east, opposite to your cavern. There seems to be some heavy dust and fog covering a passage between two canyon walls.

You can't properly see to the south as the vegetation grows denser. Coupled with the dust and the tall Canyon shadow, it's hard to know what's out there.

A) Go to the east to take a closer look.
B) Go down to the far south.
C) Inspect the surrounding area.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 1, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A
A

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1A Arrange the skeleton in a warding gesture we can remember later. If we ever come back here, we can see if the skeleton remains untouched or not... also, maybe take a femur for a club.

&

2B Denser vegetation implies a potential source of water

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

B

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

1B + 2B.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Double Bs

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B We need a good stick.

B

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

B
A

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Voting Closed for this Session.

quote:

Rolling Choice for Event 9: Poor Yorick

malbogio hits Option A for 1.6 Vote.
Lux Animus hits Option A for 1 Vote.
Toughy hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Arcanuse hits Option B for 1.1 Vote.
Junpei hits Option B for 1.0 Vote.
Not Alex hits Option B for 0.6 Vote.
Average Lettuce hits Option B for 1.2 Vote.

Result: Option B wins with majority vote. (65.8%)

Junpei has leveled up to Level 2! Bad Luck Protection goes up by 1.

Rolling Choice for Event 10: I did not know him well

malbogio hits Option A for 1.7 Vote.
Lux Animus hits Option B for 1.1 Vote.
Toughy hits Option B for 1 Vote.
Arcanuse hits Option B for 1.1 Vote.
Junpei hits Option B for 1.1 Vote.
Not Alex hits Option B for 1.0 Vote.
Average Lettuce hits Option A for 1.2 Vote.

Result: Option B wins with majority vote. (65.2%)

Arcanuse has leveled up to Level 3! Real Life Obligations goes up by 1.

Lux Animus hits Option A for 1 Vote.
GM: Common Sense hits Option A for 1.1 Vote.
GM: Distracted hits Option B for 1 Vote.

Result: Option A wins with majority vote. (67.7%)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You shop around the trees. None of them bears any fruit.

"This feels wrong."

The entire place is dead. Not in the common sense of the word. But in the sense that it is as is. Static, unmoving, unchanging. Even the wind seems stale. You take one of the leaves and eat it. It seems slightly... wetter than the rest of the dry bushes you've been eating. That's a good sign. Assuming it's not poisoned.

You grab a stick you find on the ground. It feels right. You hit one of the trees with it. "Yeah, this definitely feels more right than using a dagger." You toss the amber away.

On second thought, you take it back.

"Should I bury it?"

quote:

That's your instinct talking, isn't it? Are you trying to cover for yourself?

"No, what am I thinking?"

-I'd rather find someone.

You go to the skeleton, the only landmark you've seem so far. Landmarks. You name this place the "Dead Mesa", and the cave you came from the "High Cave". Not the most creative names, but they'll make do. You take a few stones and mark an arrow towards the south, where you're going. You shave the "sharp" edge away with a rock and put your amber shard near it. You then move the skeleton around and pose it as unnaturally as it can be, so that you'll know if someone tampers with it.

"No, that's too obvious."

You tweak it a bit. You look for the weak spots, the ones that might break or fall if someone tweaks it too much. Like you're doing right now.

quote:

On second thought -

- Why are you using a stick when there's a perfectly serviceable femur around?

You grab the skeleton's femur. Wow, it's... heavy. Are all femurs like this? No, they can't be. This is a really, really strong bone. You hadn't realized until now, but this skeleton is heavy. You have no idea why it's so heavy.

"Yeah, this will do just fine. We're back in business."

Armed with your DIY hat and a femur, you must be a sight to behold.

You Proceed South.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 1, 2019

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Can I vote to listen for water?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

RC Cola hits Option A for 1 Vote.

Result: Option A wins unanimously! (100.0%)

You find the Canyon walls again. The vegetation gives way to a very odd wall. There's a bit of sand accumulated on top of it. The wall seems to block the passage. The flora and terrain are disturbed by the wall, but the air feels considerably less dry.

The wall seems to be made of dirt, silt and small particles of stone. Although it is clealy made of natural materials, it was definitely created by someone, or something. You can see from the Canyon walls in the background that the other side seems closed as well.

You decide to calm down and try to listen for water. You stop making noises. It might be your mind playing tricks on you, but you think you hear a faint gurgle in the distance beyond the walls.

A) Eat some of the wet leaves and make camp here, then figure something out in the morning.
B) Grab some tree leaves and rush back to the east passage. You should be able to reach the exit before night falls completely.
C) Try to climb the wall.
D) Try to break or otherwise dismantle the wall.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 1, 2019

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
D: break the wall with the heavy femur.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

C, there might be water on the other side

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

C

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

D. Wall smash.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
C

Rolling unskilled has never gone wrong when heights were involved, maybe we'll discover we are a master climber

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

C

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Voting ended.

quote:

Rolling Choice for Event 13: A shoddy wall

RC Cola hits Option D for 0.9 Vote.
Average Lettuce hits Option C for 1.4 Vote.
Super Librarian hits Option C for 0.9 Vote.
Arcanuse hits Option D for 1.4 Vote.
Moleboy hits Option C for 0.8 Vote.
HiHo ChiRho hits Option C for 1 Vote.

Result: Option C wins with majority vote. (63.4%)

Average Lettuce has leveled up to Level 3! Bad Luck Protection goes up by 1.

I'm gonna start announcing these before the post because I don't want to go around having to rewrite an entire post because someone new voted and it changed the result. These rolls are all deterministic and can be reproduced from scratch and I don't want to tamper with them either, so to keep it fair I'll post the results before the post is finished.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The wall is three to four times your size, depending on where you stand. It's extremely rough and not very stable. And the fact that it's made of a mix of different materials and particles makes it not very hard. It's basically the worst combination possible for you.

The first thing you do is try to carve through it, to see how deep it is. You can stick your hand inside it.

"That's some shoddy craftsmanship."

You can't reach the end of it before it gets too dense. You ponder hitting it with your weapon but it would likely be an exercise in futility seeing as how soft the whole thing is.

You look up. It is getting darker. Better climb it up fast if you're gonna do it. You take a deep breath. At first you try to climb it like one would normally, but it doesn't work. You keep breaking whatever solid ground you find. Then you start kicking the wall and using the hole your foot makes in it as support. You do the same with the bone. "Okay! This can work."

You climb all the way to the top, which is filled with sand. You're actually holding the thing with your whole body. You're too scared to stand on it because it's just not hard enough. You put your bone to the side and crawl over it, pulling your own weight your hands.

You did it. You're on top of it.

Oh no.

"Oh, no."

-Oh, come the gently caress on.

Proceed

Elentor fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 1, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're suddenly very glad that you didn't decide to try to break the current wall.

You take a moment to catch your breath. If you fall on the first rift you can probably climb back easily, but each subsequent wall looks harder and more stable than the previous.

You grab your femur and use it as a cane to help you get up on the soft soil. You stick it to the ground as a way to have some sort of support as you move around. You move to your left, away from the shadowed side. It doesn't matter much anymore. The sun is almost out.

You think this through. If you go back, then it'll be dark, you'll be exhausted, and your only hope will be to find something to the east. You're 90% sure that there's water ahead of you. If there isn't, however, can you even make it back? You're clearly going to a dead end. You're counting on whatever's on the other side to be enough to replenish your energy.

quote:

I didn't climb all this way for nothing. Whatever's on the other side, I want it.

You try to climb the canyon wall to your left. Maybe you can climb sideways. You fail miserably. Nope, you can't do it.

-Okay, there's a... big landing area ahead of me. Maybe I can jump to it.

The ground you're on isn't stable enough for you to gain any sort of momentum. This is a nightmare.

A) Try to gain some sort of momentum anyway. There's not a lot of space, but you can run before you jump.
B) Find the hardest part of the ground you're on and just jump as hard as you can while standing still.
C) Give climbing on the canyon wall a serious try.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 1, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

We might not even need water. Thus far we have been enduring the elements unusually well. The lack of insect life makes me think something is off about the whole ecosystem.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Let’s try B.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

B sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
B