Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Posting for someone else, because I don’t know and would like to read it too:

quote:

There was a short story in a sci fi collection that I read years ago. I can't remember the author or title. I wanted to think it was "The Crazy Years" but that's wrong.
Strange things kept happening, like giant spheres appearing and rolling around the countryside. There was a reporter involved that went to the various scenes and interviewed people. I don't think much came of these series of crazy events, but eventually we found out that it was all done just to get us used to crazy. Pretty sure it was aliens next.

Apparently it’s not The Visitation, which was the only real suggestion so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

This one is a bit random.

In 2014, when I was at Nassau on vacation, we heard a catchy Junkanoo song with the chorus line of "Tip, tip, tip...everybody want tip! If you want good service, you know you got to tip!" My wife and I instantly loved this song but we could not find it anywhere for purchase on the island. We first heard it on the radio while on one of the boat taxis on the way to Paradise Island and then again while walking near the straw market in Nassau.

I suspect it is by a group called "Sting" who appears to release a new song for the Bahamas every year during their Carnivale festival. I cannot find a discography or an album online for sale. :iiam:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Been looking for a sketch but it's really hard to google for obvious reasons

A mid twenties dude living alone gets a knock on the door and it's a large box. He brings it inside ,opens it up, and it's a sexbot. He then proceeds to have sex with it in increasingly uncaring ways and not maintaining it etc etc. Implied , not explicit

At some point there is an angry knock at the door and it's the sexbot's wife incredibly angry husband complaint "this is the last time Barbera, you are coming home now" . The joke being that she was not a sexbot

It's suprisingly high production quality and firmly tongue in cheek

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Richlove posted:

In 2014, when I was at Nassau on vacation, we heard a catchy Junkanoo song with the chorus line of "Tip, tip, tip...everybody want tip! If you want good service, you know you got to tip!" My wife and I instantly loved this song but we could not find it anywhere for purchase on the island. We first heard it on the radio while on one of the boat taxis on the way to Paradise Island and then again while walking near the straw market in Nassau.

I suspect it is by a group called "Sting" who appears to release a new song for the Bahamas every year during their Carnivale festival. I cannot find a discography or an album online for sale. :iiam:

Probably not the song unless you've really misremembered it, but it reminds me of She Need a Tip by the Rangers.

https://youtu.be/jsQi0syqgTQ

It features the lyrics, "100, 200, 300, 4, 500, 600, 700 more, I need a tip, tip, tip, tip, I need a tip, tip, tip, tip, tip".

And yes, this song is my entrance music.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Tip posted:

Probably not the song unless you've really misremembered it, but it reminds me of She Need a Tip by the Rangers.

https://youtu.be/jsQi0syqgTQ

It features the lyrics, "100, 200, 300, 4, 500, 600, 700 more, I need a tip, tip, tip, tip, I need a tip, tip, tip, tip, tip".

And yes, this song is my entrance music.

Perfect username for this one! You're right that your link song is not it but that definitely an entertaining listen!

I really feel that Sting is the right group for this one based on the previous material I saw on Youtube. All of their songs lampoon something happening in their culture at the time.

Examples for the group:

Money Coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnSRAw1ui-E

Just a Little Bit More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U62fOC7yNW8

Catch Yasef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr3nh73QE4o

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Teketeketeketeke posted:

1.1970 poster "Map of Middle Earth" by Pauline Baynes

meh.

2.Art by Barbara Remington

My mom had a set of LOTR with this image broken into 3 for the book covers. The creepy little duders DID freak me out mildly as a kid! It's sort of like a map (progression through different areas of ME)

But yeah, this leads us to...
3. Map version of #2 (with same scary dudes):

None of those are it.

It was definitely The Hobbit centered and MAY have been Rankin Bass Hobbit. Smaug was prominently and distinctly featured, but didn't dominate the whole thing.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

None of those are it.

It was definitely The Hobbit centered and MAY have been Rankin Bass Hobbit. Smaug was prominently and distinctly featured, but didn't dominate the whole thing.

E: but seriously, I'm still furiously searching for ya...

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 7, 2021

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Back in the mid-2000's there was a video posted on SA that was a parody of the Power Rangers. Basically some dude is hanging out in his apartment when a flaming arrow crashes through his window with a message from the heroes saying that he has been identified as the Great Evil Leader and will be taken down. He writes this off and goes to get take out. On his way home the Power Rangers show up to fight him, and he tries to reason with them but a fight ensues. However, the Power Rangers all move in slow motion, so the guy just lightly walks away from all their attacks. Eventually, he gets frustrated and tosses his food at them, hitting the Pink Ranger and causing the entire team to freak out like she'd received a mortal wound.

Later at his apartment, another flaming arrow from "The Evil Army" swears unfailing loyalty to the mighty warrior who defeated the Rangers. He walks down to the street, hooks up with the Evil Army and they go clubbing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Solice Kirsk posted:

My friend, have I got a solution for you.

https://www.cameo.com/
Off to start my "zany celebrity alarm clock" empire

Also VideoTapir, I imagine you already asked your parents (if possible) about the origin of the map, but my unexpected take on it is that lacquering something onto plywood to me screams "1970s homemade folk art of popular fantasy property." This may just be my experience, but back before literally every remotely popular thing had endless merchandise made for it, you might get an ambitious relative trying their hand at painting something that the kids are talking about as a gift. And particularly as an inadvertently nightmarish gift.

And yes you may be like "dude this was clearly a fantasy magazine pull-out poster with staple marks" or something, and if so fair enough, just contemplating alternate origin stories for this

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Teketeketeketeke posted:

2.Art by Barbara Remington

That's the infamous cover art of the authorized US paperback edition of The Hobbit.

J.R.R.Tolkien posted:

I think the cover ugly; but I recognize that a main object of a paperback cover is to attract purchasers, and I suppose that you are better judges of what is attractive in USA than I am. I therefore will not enter into a debate about taste – (meaning though I did not say so: horrible colours and foul lettering) – but I must ask this about the vignette: what has it got to do with the story? Where is this place? Why a lion and emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with pink bulbs? I do not understand how anybody who had read the tale (I hope you are one) could think such a picture would please the author.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

VideoTapir posted:

When I was a little kid my parents hung in my room, right over my bed, a poster. It was a map of Middle Earth, IIRC, lacquered onto a piece of plywood. It had an illustration of Smaug on it which terrified 4 or 5 year old me. It may have had other characters on it, and the predominant color on it was either white, off white, or some sort of aged paper yellow, but I can't be sure of the exact original color.

This would have been produced no later than 1982 or so, but was probably from the 60s or 70s.

Anyone know where I might find this image?

Might be one of Tove Jansson's (of Moomin fame) illustrations.

more: https://imgur.com/gallery/njtkL

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Richlove posted:

This seems like useful information, but it also seems like a dead end, there's nothing else for that exact song name.

quote:

...2012... The Next group up were the Original Congos, a B Group(?) Their theme was “We love Bahamian Music.” ... Their costumes were themed around different Bahamian Songs: “8 piece of 6 and 4”, “Everybody Wan Tip”, and “Dog only Bark at Park Car”..
(From http://eprints.glos.ac.uk/3788/1/Ca...ture%20only.pdf)

Insta-edit: Re-reading my post now, it mentions costumes, and I suppose it doesn't actually say they're the musical group who created the song.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

signalnoise posted:

There is a scene from a movie where it's an adult man and his elderly father and the father chides him about how difficult it was to raise the man, and the man responds with an outburst of "I WAS A CHILD" along with some other stuff about kids being expected to gently caress up and parents being there to guide them or something. I can't remember what movie this is and the search terms I can think of for it don't work.

Yeah, I've seen this film and now you've got me going. If it's the same one, I'm fairly sure the old man is more of a main character than the younger man, something like Albert Finney in "Big Fish"

Wait, is it that? That's where my mind immediately went

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I WAS A CHILD definitely rings a faint bell. I've never seen Big Fish. I thought it might be Shaun of the Dead, but I've skimmed it and I'm almost sure it's not.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

There is a scene from a movie where it's an adult man and his elderly father and the father chides him about how difficult it was to raise the man, and the man responds with an outburst of "I WAS A CHILD" along with some other stuff about kids being expected to gently caress up and parents being there to guide them or something. I can't remember what movie this is and the search terms I can think of for it don't work.

Five Easy Pieces? I can't remember if that specific line is in it, but the third act is Jack Nicholson confronting his overbearing musician family.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
This is only a match for that specific quote, but may as well rule it out to be safe:

quote:

Indiana: Hello, Marion.
Marion: Indiana Jones. I always knew some day you'd come walking back through my door. I never doubted that. Something made it inevitable. So, what are you doing here in Nepal?
Indiana: I need one of the pieces your father collected.
[Marion surprises him with a right cross to the jaw]
Marion: I've learned to hate you in the last ten years!
Indiana: I never meant to hurt you.
Marion: I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it!
Indiana: You knew what you were doing.
Marion: Now I do. This is my place. Get out!

Dave Stieb
Apr 15, 2010
I watched an Asian film with my father a few years ago on the Rialto channel and we've been trying to track it down ever since. The only things about it I remember are:

- A scene where a guy gets shot in the head. As he gets shot, the camera cuts to a brain floating in mid-air, the bullet going through it, then the brain exploding
- A scene where a bunch of guys are riding horses in a posse, singing about how lonely they are

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Battle Pigeon posted:

Posting for someone else, because I don’t know and would like to read it too:

Apparently it’s not The Visitation, which was the only real suggestion so far.

Ah crap, I have read this, and within the last couple of years, but I can’t find it either. Maybe by Jack Vance?

Dave Stieb posted:

- A scene where a guy gets shot in the head. As he gets shot, the camera cuts to a brain floating in mid-air, the bullet going through it, then the brain exploding
Sounds like The Street Fighter.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Grammarchist posted:

Back in the mid-2000's there was a video posted on SA that was a parody of the Power Rangers. Basically some dude is hanging out in his apartment when a flaming arrow crashes through his window with a message from the heroes saying that he has been identified as the Great Evil Leader and will be taken down. He writes this off and goes to get take out. On his way home the Power Rangers show up to fight him, and he tries to reason with them but a fight ensues. However, the Power Rangers all move in slow motion, so the guy just lightly walks away from all their attacks. Eventually, he gets frustrated and tosses his food at them, hitting the Pink Ranger and causing the entire team to freak out like she'd received a mortal wound.

Later at his apartment, another flaming arrow from "The Evil Army" swears unfailing loyalty to the mighty warrior who defeated the Rangers. He walks down to the street, hooks up with the Evil Army and they go clubbing.

Do you live in a Hollywood studio? I hope to throw money at your films if once this one plays in Memphis. Or Chattanooga. Or Mars (elon plz)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I would watch that.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

signalnoise posted:

There was a scene like this between Sean and his father on the show Psych. I think it was the first season, maybe the one where he had to build a dog house

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

uvar posted:

This is only a match for that specific quote, but may as well rule it out to be safe:

If they were mixing up multiple bits of Indiana Jones there's also the argument in Last Crusade about his dad being a lovely father.

Indiana Jones : It was just the two of us, Dad. That was a lonely way to grow up, lonely for both of us. I can remember the last time we had a drink together; I had a milkshake. But we didn't talk; we've never talked. If you'd been an average and regular father, like all of my friends' dads, you would've understood.

Professor Henry Jones : I was a wonderful father.

Indiana Jones : Yeah, how?

Professor Henry Jones : Did I ever tell you to eat up, go to bed, wash your ears, or do your homework? No. I respected your privacy, and I taught you self-reliance.

Indiana Jones : What you taught me is that I was less important to you than people who've been dead for 500 years in another country. And I learned it so well, that we've hardly spoken for 20 years.

Professor Henry Jones : You left just as you were becoming interesting.

[He closes his diary] 

Professor Henry Jones : Okay, I'm here now. So what do you want to talk about?

[Indy finds himself at a loss for words] 

Indiana Jones : I... I can't think of... anything.

[Henry looks baffled] 

Professor Henry Jones : Then what are you complaining about? We have work to do.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It's not Indiana Jones

titties posted:

There was a scene like this between Sean and his father on the show Psych. I think it was the first season, maybe the one where he had to build a dog house

I wouldn't doubt if that was it actually. I did watch the hell out of Psych but it's been a long time since the less comical first season

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

signalnoise posted:

It's not Indiana Jones

I wouldn't doubt if that was it actually. I did watch the hell out of Psych but it's been a long time since the less comical first season

It was not the dog house episode (s1e2), i just checked, but I'm pretty sure there is a conversation like that early in season 1.

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

uvar posted:

Excuse the double post, but I don't like editing in answers to previous posts because there's no notification of it. (Thanks Riptor)

I don't know much about anime - despite responding to two anime requests in a row - but maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plawres_Sanshiro? The wikipedia page even explicitly says the anime was "aired in 1983 in Japan, Hong Kong, Greece and Arab countries."

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I LOVE YOU BOTH!!! THIS IS IT!!!

:qq:

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

There was an old website I used to read when I was a teenager called Progressive Boink, where a group of people would post little articles or blog entries or whatever. In 2007, there was an author there who went by B that uploaded a four part fanfic/screenplay thing called Grand Theft Auto Midway.

I don't know what sort of dark force has possessed me, but a few weeks ago I had a sudden urge to go back and read this loving thing. The Wayback Machine has the page, but the actual piece itself is four separate .pdfs that aren't available anymore, and I'll be damned if I can find anything on Google about it.

Ganraam
Feb 26, 2005

Whatever he does represents both a gain and a loss, an arrival and a departure.

Grammarchist posted:

I think I know this one. Is it Rolling Bomber Special?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOR6yTNFHFo

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

There was an old website I used to read when I was a teenager called Progressive Boink, where a group of people would post little articles or blog entries or whatever. In 2007, there was an author there who went by B that uploaded a four part fanfic/screenplay thing called Grand Theft Auto Midway.

I don't know what sort of dark force has possessed me, but a few weeks ago I had a sudden urge to go back and read this loving thing. The Wayback Machine has the page, but the actual piece itself is four separate .pdfs that aren't available anymore, and I'll be damned if I can find anything on Google about it.

At least the wayback machine got parts 3 & 4? I was going to suggest asking the original authors, but it looks like one got cancelled last June (for, among other things, secretly copying nude pictures from female wrestler's phones during matches he organised) and I can't find the other guy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Years ago, I remember stumbling upon a website that posted bits and pieces of gossip from some 1950s/early 60s British music magazine. The gossip was quite snarky and the magazine columnist had the pen name of Alley Cat.

I'd love to find that again.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Years ago, I remember stumbling upon a website that posted bits and pieces of gossip from some 1950s/early 60s British music magazine. The gossip was quite snarky and the magazine columnist had the pen name of Alley Cat.

I'd love to find that again.

Can't help with the exact site, but I think that's the Tail-pieces by the Alley Cat column from NME. Alley Cat was Maurice Kinn's pseudonym.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

During the 2012 election (or the run up to it), a goon posted a pic of Biden at a/the campaign HQ carrying a "Box of Joe" (a plastic jug of hot coffee encased in cardboard). If ya'll could find it that'd be cool. My GIS-fu failed me.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Mister Facetious posted:

During the 2012 election (or the run up to it), a goon posted a pic of Biden at a/the campaign HQ carrying a "Box of Joe" (a plastic jug of hot coffee encased in cardboard). If ya'll could find it that'd be cool. My GIS-fu failed me.
I found this here, couldn't find a less blurry version. Is this it?

The "Box o' Joe" is a Dunkin Donuts thing so that helped narrow it down.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

I found this here, couldn't find a less blurry version. Is this it?

The "Box o' Joe" is a Dunkin Donuts thing so that helped narrow it down.

yeah that was it, thanks. :tipshat:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Boo, I guess i was too slow.

Anyway, source for that one above is https://www.instagram.com/p/RAruBtmwwS/

But this one is also nice
https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/259784543156977664

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Macintosh II series. Almost got one off someone who strung me along for months and blew me off

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
A game for the Gameboy color (possibly game boy advance?)

It had really basic graphics, you were a ball that bounced up and down on platforms. The level was made up entirely of these platforms and they had different colors to them which gave different abilities while you were on that platform (all I can remember is the black platform let you bounce higher) there were spikey balls stationary throughout the level which you had to avoid. I had it on one of those "30 in one" knock off cartridges and the game was in Japanese so I couldn't understand any of the guidance. I remember I got stuck because I got to a level in which you had to spend a life to complete it but only had one life left.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Tea Bone posted:

A game for the Gameboy color (possibly game boy advance?)

It had really basic graphics, you were a ball that bounced up and down on platforms. The level was made up entirely of these platforms and they had different colors to them which gave different abilities while you were on that platform (all I can remember is the black platform let you bounce higher) there were spikey balls stationary throughout the level which you had to avoid. I had it on one of those "30 in one" knock off cartridges and the game was in Japanese so I couldn't understand any of the guidance. I remember I got stuck because I got to a level in which you had to spend a life to complete it but only had one life left.

i want to say chalvo 55, but that’s game boy, not gbc.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

nishi koichi posted:

i want to say chalvo 55, but that’s game boy, not gbc.

It could well have been a Gameboy rather than Gameboy color game, infact I'm not sure I remember any real difference in color other than different shades. Like I said it was on one of those seedy 30 in 1 cartridges so wouldn't surprise me if it was just a Gameboy rom that had been stuck on there.

Unfortunately chalvo 55 isn't it but the Gameplay looks super close. The game I played had much more rudimentary graphics, (the ball was literally a black circle) and the entire level was on the screen rather than scrolling.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'd suggest asking in the retrogames thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837622

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Series of online comics, I remember them in detail except for the name and it's infuriating

Some I remember:

- Autobiographical, woman is at an art gallery, slaps a lit cigarette out of someone's hand and says "Don't smoke near the art, rear end in a top hat!". The rear end in a top hat is Slash, from Guns and Roses

- A man talks in his sleep, also recites poetry and sings light opera. His wife gets sick of it and puts the entire bed on the lawn, sitcom-style. Some passing beatniks think he's cool, pick up the entire bed, and put him in front of an open mike. He's an initial hit, but eventually audiences tire of him so the beatniks stop kidnapping him. The punchline is "he never lost any sleep over it".

- Multipart one where a device was invented that lets you record your dreams for others to experience. Therapists use them, but long-term consumption of the dreams of others mean you can't dream yourself, bringing insanity. The world goes into crisis as people chase the latest dreams, until someone has a dream where they're dreaming which undoes the damage.

- There's also a recurring character who's a little old grumpy smoking woman who is a 100% accurate fortune teller. She often tells Satan to gently caress off.

Does anyone know what the gently caress I'm talking about? Artist was a woman, and they were usually monochrome.