Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Bless you, this is the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
looking for a flash cartoon from around 2005, maybe 5 minutes long

It started with a disclaimer stating that they had written the material sober and found a drunk at 2AM to read both characters.
it was two people having a conversation at a party, i can only remember 2 parts:

"I challenge you to a grizzled contest"
(then they scream as a beard grows)
"ahh you added a beard you bastard"
"i dont cheat, i get results"

Then there was something at the end where the guy is talking about how nice the party was and how it must be over, saying "pat is moving the amp, it must be time to go"

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I found a hurried note in my writing from a space conference a few years ago, instructing me to look up a PhD thesis from the University of Uppsala that had some reference to Homer Simpson in the title (or a picture of Homer Simpson on the cover, but I don't think that's normal for a thesis). I do not know why, I think it's somehow space-related, and I didn't see it in the uni directory. What the gently caress was I talking about?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Trying to find a picture of graffiti of a poorly done Steve Mcqueen or whatever the red race car from Cars is called and the words sprayed next to him are, "eat rear end all day" or something like that and "kerchow."

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a weird one.

Back when I was in grade five or so we had a teacher (maybe a substitute?) who read us a weird book. I remember it being an actual book.

It was about some kid who got kidnapped by future people in sheets or something who refused to talk and used sign language. They were all about the environment and held the kid captive. Over time he learned their language and ways of the future people.

Eventually he "escapes" and goes back to his time and shock horror the leader of the future people was him grown up.

Even as a kid I thought it was dumb and hamfisted. But no one knows what the gently caress I'm talking about and my googling has netted me nothing.

Really I just want to know if a weird teacher read us her lovely environmentalist fanfiction or if it was a legitimate book.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

frogge posted:

Trying to find a picture of graffiti of a poorly done Steve Mcqueen or whatever the red race car from Cars is called and the words sprayed next to him are, "eat rear end all day" or something like that and "kerchow."

poo poo, I think just saw this literally yesterday. I'll edit this once I find it...

Yup, here ya go. It was like the second Google image result for "eat rear end kerchow" C'mon dude!

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 19, 2021

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Teketeketeketeke posted:

poo poo, I think just saw this literally yesterday. I'll edit this once I find it...

Yup, here ya go. It was like the second Google image result for "eat rear end kerchow" C'mon dude!

Yes. Thank you!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Anybody have the FLAC versions of Colugo's albums? Apparently he lost 'em

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a weird one.

Back when I was in grade five or so we had a teacher (maybe a substitute?) who read us a weird book. I remember it being an actual book.

It was about some kid who got kidnapped by future people in sheets or something who refused to talk and used sign language. They were all about the environment and held the kid captive. Over time he learned their language and ways of the future people.

Eventually he "escapes" and goes back to his time and shock horror the leader of the future people was him grown up.

Even as a kid I thought it was dumb and hamfisted. But no one knows what the gently caress I'm talking about and my googling has netted me nothing.

Really I just want to know if a weird teacher read us her lovely environmentalist fanfiction or if it was a legitimate book.

I remember this one too. He paddled a canoe up the river and somehow came into the future world.
They admonished him for having some kind of toxic wax/sealant on the canoe.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I don't think I've ever been able to find the original video for Lost In You by Chris Gaines (aka Garth Brooks) in any definition higher than "recorded on a tin can"; there used to at least be that on dailymotion, but now it seems like it's been scrubbed off the face of the earth completely :sigh:

Childish Gambino did a cover a year or two ago that was incredible but I really just want to see Garth Brooks in that Spirit Halloween mall goth outfit again, in that video in particular

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
About 4 years back WWE put out a series of comedy sketches about a non-existent fed from the 70s/80s. John Cena was a straight laced announcer while various other superstars played roles.

The name is completely eluding me and neither YouTube or Google is helping. Anyone remember it?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Southpaw regional wrestling

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Posted in the GWS small questions thread and they gave me some pointers, but no one had the actual definitive answer:

Here in England, if you go to any Chinese takeaway and get Crispy Peking Duck, it comes with what they call 'Hoi Sin Sauce'. You can also order this separately, and it's always the same thing, a tarry-thick black sauce that tastes like the tears of angels.

However, if you go and buy Hoi Sin Sauce from a shop, it tastes like the tears of Criss Angel.

Does anyone know exactly what sauce they're using in the takeaways? It's the same wherever you go, so I can't imagine it's a special recipe or anything? I've looked at Asian wholesalers before, and couldn't find anything that I hadn't already tried. The closest thing I can get is Lee Kum Kee Peking Duck sauce, which makes me think that actually (And the GWS thread pretty much confirmed) the stuff they're selling as Hoi Sin is really more like Peking Duck sauce. That doesn't actually massively help though.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

!Klams posted:

Posted in the GWS small questions thread and they gave me some pointers, but no one had the actual definitive answer:

Here in England, if you go to any Chinese takeaway and get Crispy Peking Duck, it comes with what they call 'Hoi Sin Sauce'. You can also order this separately, and it's always the same thing, a tarry-thick black sauce that tastes like the tears of angels.

However, if you go and buy Hoi Sin Sauce from a shop, it tastes like the tears of Criss Angel.

Does anyone know exactly what sauce they're using in the takeaways? It's the same wherever you go, so I can't imagine it's a special recipe or anything? I've looked at Asian wholesalers before, and couldn't find anything that I hadn't already tried. The closest thing I can get is Lee Kum Kee Peking Duck sauce, which makes me think that actually (And the GWS thread pretty much confirmed) the stuff they're selling as Hoi Sin is really more like Peking Duck sauce. That doesn't actually massively help though.

They are using Hoisin, it's just a sauce with a great deal of regional variation. A lot of supermarket brands are a lot thinner and fruitier. There's a lot of cross-over between Hoisin and Plum Sauce, and often they seem to be used interchangeably (and even namewise) for some reason even though they don't taste anything alike.

You can definitely buy the same tasting Hoisin though. Flying Goose brand Hoisin (you know...the transparent bottle + green cap Sriracha brand) is very, very close to what takeaways use. You can also buy fancier versions that are thick + dark and glossy, probably better than the takeaway version (which believe me probably comes in multi-litre tubs).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Goose-Hoisin-Sauce-Pack/dp/B00710V7CC/ref=psdc_433166031_t1_B003WP0G3Q?th=1

Plenty of reviews going on about it, though you can probably get it cheaper from an Asian supermarket.

e:

Also for what it's worth, I would say it is extremely likely that every Chinese takeaway (that isn't fancy enough to make its own) uses Lee Kum Kee as a base. From there, they will add a bit of water and sugar and potentially some extra spices (i.e. a little garlic/chili/fivespice) to their own personal preferences as from the tub it's super thick and very salty.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 23, 2021

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Camo Guitar posted:

About 4 years back WWE put out a series of comedy sketches about a non-existent fed from the 70s/80s. John Cena was a straight laced announcer while various other superstars played roles.

The name is completely eluding me and neither YouTube or Google is helping. Anyone remember it?

One of the last great things the WWE have done.

*books a show called Lethal Leap Year on February 29th*

*year they book it in is NOT a leap year*

Southpaw Regional Wrestling for ever!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jeza posted:

They are using Hoisin, it's just a sauce with a great deal of regional variation. A lot of supermarket brands are a lot thinner and fruitier. There's a lot of cross-over between Hoisin and Plum Sauce, and often they seem to be used interchangeably (and even namewise) for some reason even though they don't taste anything alike.

You can definitely buy the same tasting Hoisin though. Flying Goose brand Hoisin (you know...the transparent bottle + green cap Sriracha brand) is very, very close to what takeaways use. You can also buy fancier versions that are thick + dark and glossy, probably better than the takeaway version (which believe me probably comes in multi-litre tubs).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Goose-Hoisin-Sauce-Pack/dp/B00710V7CC/ref=psdc_433166031_t1_B003WP0G3Q?th=1

Plenty of reviews going on about it, though you can probably get it cheaper from an Asian supermarket.

e:

Also for what it's worth, I would say it is extremely likely that every Chinese takeaway (that isn't fancy enough to make its own) uses Lee Kum Kee as a base. From there, they will add a bit of water and sugar and potentially some extra spices (i.e. a little garlic/chili/fivespice) to their own personal preferences as from the tub it's super thick and very salty.

Yeah, the flying goose one is really close. I WANT the stuff that comes in multi-litre tubs, but couldn't find any at the Asian cash and carry in Greenwich. Well, no that's not true, I found a couple, neither of them right though. I don't want "Better than" I want the same as the stuff you get at every single Chinese Takeaway!

I actually went and bought LKK 'again' to try watering down / adding sugar to, because this is exactly the response I got in GWS, and, it's just obviously not right. It's like browner and has a taste to it that I can only assume comes from the spices, that's actually kinda a little like Char Siu flavour? There's clearly no tampering with it with stuff I've got that's going to result in the exact one I'm after.

I've even gone and picked up some Tian Mian Jiang to mix with a little sesame oil and loads of sugar to see if I can make my own.

And, y'know, you can say it's regional, but every single Chinese takeaway I've ever been to has had exactly the same hoisin sauce! That's what led me down this path in the first place, the ubiquity suggests it's something I should be able to easily get / make without going to a Chinese takeaway.

Reading your message again though, what HAS got me intrigued, is that you say "From the tub"... I've never actually found a TUB of LKK, only the store jars. That would completely explain everyone insisting its LKK but my experience being totally different...

Gonna go search for LKK tubs.

/Edit: Ok, so I 'think' what might have happened is that every time I got LKK, I was actually getting the gluten free version? It seems to come not in tubs (unless Im missing something) but rather in giant tins, so I'll see about getting a smaller tin of it, and try to make sure it's not the gluten free one.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 23, 2021

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Oh yeah, no takeaway is putting money down on tiny jars. S'all bulk in the back, usually big cans, tubs or big multi-litre jugs. I dunno what your cash and carry is like, but Chinese takeaway owners if they aren't ordering online are hitting up the big warehouse Asian supermarkets like Hoo Hing/Loon Fung. They've got the usual stuff on the shelves, but big warehouse stuff in the back full of like 10 litre containers of soy, ketchup and all sorts. I looked online and Hoo Hing are out of stock right now but they sell a 10kg tin of LKK Hoisin.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

!Klams posted:

Yeah, the flying goose one is really close. I WANT the stuff that comes in multi-litre tubs, but couldn't find any at the Asian cash and carry in Greenwich. Well, no that's not true, I found a couple, neither of them right though. I don't want "Better than" I want the same as the stuff you get at every single Chinese Takeaway!

I actually went and bought LKK 'again' to try watering down / adding sugar to, because this is exactly the response I got in GWS, and, it's just obviously not right. It's like browner and has a taste to it that I can only assume comes from the spices, that's actually kinda a little like Char Siu flavour? There's clearly no tampering with it with stuff I've got that's going to result in the exact one I'm after.

I've even gone and picked up some Tian Mian Jiang to mix with a little sesame oil and loads of sugar to see if I can make my own.

And, y'know, you can say it's regional, but every single Chinese takeaway I've ever been to has had exactly the same hoisin sauce! That's what led me down this path in the first place, the ubiquity suggests it's something I should be able to easily get / make without going to a Chinese takeaway.

Reading your message again though, what HAS got me intrigued, is that you say "From the tub"... I've never actually found a TUB of LKK, only the store jars. That would completely explain everyone insisting its LKK but my experience being totally different...

Gonna go search for LKK tubs.

/Edit: Ok, so I 'think' what might have happened is that every time I got LKK, I was actually getting the gluten free version? It seems to come not in tubs (unless Im missing something) but rather in giant tins, so I'll see about getting a smaller tin of it, and try to make sure it's not the gluten free one.

I have no doubt you've done this, but I have you just asked at your take-aways? It seems you like the food and go often enough so go to the one you most frequent and just ask what it is they use/where they buy it?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sauce chat has me missing the Korean restaurant in my college that made it's own sriracha and it was so good I used to basically drown my food in it and nothing I've ever bought in store has been the same.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I used to listen to New York Public radio and there was a show on near midnight called the Night Shift and it's host was Mike Sargent. Anyways, for the intro, they had a rap sample there where the bass really stuck in my head for years and I don't know the name of the song they sampled.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thank you for not providing a sample

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

It's been years since I've heard the show and the intro music has been changed since that time so I can't find a sample since they only have uploads as recently as late as 4 months ago.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Have you tried asking mike Sargent? He doesn’t seem famous enough to be above responding to listener requests and his email is on his website.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I genuinely can't remember the time period that I heard the sample and asking him to remember an 8 second sample of a bass guitar(?) going "bum BUM bum bum...duh duh duh duh duh (with the second duh going up and then it all scaling down)" may be too much work. My memory is faulty but I think I must have emailed him about the sample because of how much the sample was stuck ( and is still a bit stuck, thanks to this thread) in my head but I don't remember the result of that possible interaction.

Ehh, whatever.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You don’t remember because I was wrong he is clearly way too busy.

quote:

Mike has recently returned to filmmaking and is currently editing BAD BOYS: A Documentary. This is a six years in-the-making in-depth, investigative film that examines why women and society in general are in love with Bad boys through out history. He has also created the website https://www.badboystories.com that is a standalone component as a place intended for women to share their stories with each other in hopes of having a greater understanding of why they do it – get involved with those bad boys -- & whether it is helping or holding them back -- whether it is empowering or diminishing their power – whether the attraction to bad boys is nurture or nature.

A six year journey. Bless him.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Southpaw! Thanks guys, reliving the fun times now!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There was a hip-hop group in the late 90s early 2000s that use a lot of scratching and sampled a lot of horns. I want to say they were Italian or had an Italian name? I cannot remember the name of find a suitable way to google it because "early 2000s italian rap" doesn't yield anything familiar.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There was a hip-hop group in the late 90s early 2000s that use a lot of scratching and sampled a lot of horns. I want to say they were Italian or had an Italian name? I cannot remember the name of find a suitable way to google it because "early 2000s italian rap" doesn't yield anything familiar.
I was so sure this was going to be Us3 even though it was a few years too early, but I went back and listened to a few of their songs and I was like "O.K. there actually is no scratching so clearly this is wrong" and now I also want to know what this is

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

For some reason this made me think of Quarashi even though they are Icelandic: https://youtu.be/kFikGb6HIso

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Long before Youtube and Angry Game Reviewer became a thing on the Internet, there was a video game review series done in Flash. It featured an alien named Diego. I don't remember much about it except that Diego and his family were this shade of turquois, and there were intro segments and sometimes sketches at the start and end.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Third time lucky:

A series of badly drawn russian cartoons, featuring two guys, two gals, and a talking alien rabbit. They'd hang out and drink?

They all lived in St. Petersburg. I remember in the first episode, they said only alcoholics, criminals, and crazy people lived in St. Petersburg.

"Once a normal person visited, but he didn't stay long" *cut to man sprinting through streets screaming in horror*

Also still after the comics and the finnish homer simpson thesis in case anyone didn't see those asks

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was so sure this was going to be Us3 even though it was a few years too early, but I went back and listened to a few of their songs and I was like "O.K. there actually is no scratching so clearly this is wrong" and now I also want to know what this is

No they were from like New Jersey or maybe New York or something? They weren't obscure or anything. They weren't huge but they were big enough that people in Australia bought their CD. So sorry, when I said Italian I meant Italian-American.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I found a hurried note in my writing from a space conference a few years ago, instructing me to look up a PhD thesis from the University of Uppsala that had some reference to Homer Simpson in the title (or a picture of Homer Simpson on the cover, but I don't think that's normal for a thesis). I do not know why, I think it's somehow space-related, and I didn't see it in the uni directory. What the gently caress was I talking about?

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Also still after the comics and the finnish homer simpson thesis in case anyone didn't see those asks

Uppsala is in Sweden, not finland. Made some searches in the thesis database, but no hits.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is a weird dumb one. For a long time I've had this little bit of a song in my memory. I believe it may be from a children's show or an old commercial. The lyrics are:

Pizza Pizza,
Really hits the spot,
Pizza Pizza,
Eat it while it's hot

https://vocaroo.com/14SjC2gVYqhN

There's more, but this is all I can remember.

My wife and I were ordering pizza and I sang it, assuming it was a widely known pizza related song. She claims to have never heard of it. I go on youtube to show it to her and I can't find a copy of it. There's hundreds of videos of "pizza songs" but none are the right thing. With a little digging I find out that the tune of the song is and old Italian song called "Funiculi Funicula" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0W7j04iRQ

Going off of this gives me a little more to work with. I quickly discover that there is a Funiculi Funicula/pizza connection via an old Spiderman video game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQ0hMBNp6I But I'm sure my memory of this song is far older than the game. Plus I've never actually played this game.

The wiki page for Funiculi Funicula lists a bunch of appearances in popular media. For example there's the 1992 commercial for the board game Grape Escape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3C5rB8sm4Y This one I actually do remember but it has nothing to do with pizza.

Finally I found this random video dated 1995 of some sort of middle school music concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRIRLuFvJG8 It's pretty close, but still has different lyrics. It also doesn't explain where I actually ended up hearing the song.

At this point I was ready to just give up and assume I was misremembering the song or had made it up myself. But I mentioned this search to a friend and he immediately knew exactly what I was talking about. He remembered the words about as well as I did, but also had no idea what it was from. So now I put it to you. What is the origin of the true Pizza Song?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr_Amazing posted:

So now I put it to you. What is the origin of the true Pizza Song?

Are you sure you're not thinking to the Pizza & Pasta song? That used to get posted on SA fairly frequently back in the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9czpYfVowvg

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really don't think I could misremember it that badly. I think Pizza Pasta might be a dirty version of whatever song I'm thinking of.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It seems to fit the rhythm of a poem I found a while back in my Dad's childhood scrapbook from the 1950s. Except his was about Pepsi and how it made you pee.

Off the top of my head, it was something like

Pepsi-Cola hits the spot
Pepsi-Cola puts you on the pot
Push a little lever,
Pull a little chain
There goes Pepsi down the drain

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking to the Pizza & Pasta song? That used to get posted on SA fairly frequently back in the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9czpYfVowvg

Bookmarked and saved…thanks!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

This isn't want you suggested but it popped into my head and I felt the need to share it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZoPxi7r64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
No idea why this popped into my head tonight but hopefully might pop a bell for somebody. I'm looking for a video of a studio performance by an unknown band circa 2005-2006ish; heavy music, possibly post-hardcore or noise band (not Blood Brothers but similar era), but the hook was that it was a one take performance done across three rooms in a studio complex. It was all one long shot following the singer as he moved between the rooms as the song progressed through different styles - particularly there was a bridge with a string section set up in a smaller room and then he moved back into the bigger room for the ending.