Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

A sense of self-worth.

I love your new av, does that help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Unfinish3d posted:

Pirate radio

This reminds me of a show that used to air on a college station in my city for like 3 or 4 hours late at night back in the 90s. It was called AfterHours and they played all sorts of crazy electronica. I loved it.

Also when I was younger and UHF was still a thing (my fam didn’t get cable until way later), I could occasionally pull in this channel that aired music videos by request. The way it worked was, there was a continuous scroll of songs and each one had a 3-digit code. You’d call this 900 number and enter the code, and the video would air. Each video was probably like 99 cents or something. I think the channel might have even been called Jukebox.

Not really a white whale; I’m just curious if anyone else remembers seeing it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

years ago in like the early-mid 90s there was a commercial for (i think) like some 8 cds for a penny club things, or some other poo poo i dont really know what it was for (i think it was some music-related thing though)

anyway one thing in the commercial was a woman dressed in like a 1980s style, like kelly in very early married with children episodes; big hair, etc. she was standing up against a like a brick wall and loudly chewing gum and then goes "it's like, ya know, whateverrrr"

my sister and i used to say this to each other all the time, and sometimes still do, but no idea what the commercial was for, so its not really easy to google.

(i know lisa says the same thing in a simpsons episode but seriously it's not that)

Are you sure it was a music club commercial? This Atari ad seems very close to what you're describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ze1neVziE

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

I remember one scene from a movie when I was a kid.

It was an action movie (and possibly comedy) where a dude swings on a rope and gets shot at a bunch...

But the bullets are all stopped by the bed pan he has under his shirt.

When were you a kid? Shoot ‘Em Up (2007) has a shitton of gunfights. It’s been a long time since I watched it so I can’t say that exact scene is in there, but it’s the first thing that popped into my head based on your description.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Moai Ou posted:

I've posted about this in other white whale & identify this song threads for nearly a decade now, and still, bupkis.

There's a song on my PC that I don't remember downloading:

BOA - money.mp3

Googling the lyrics doesn't come up with anything. Shazam doesn't recognize it. I've looked through every band on Discogs with the name "Boa" and none of them have a song called "Money" or even including the word money. I've asked countless people and nobody has ever heard it.

If anyone can actually find out who this is, what album it's from and where to buy it, I'll buy you a forums upgrade of your choice.

FilthyImp posted:

The instrumentation is close but the voice is no where near as good as Poe's

Sounds like Shirley Manson (Garbage) to me, but sifting through their stuff on YouTube is getting me nowhere.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

FYI, it's not the ending of Eraser with Schwarzenegger because this white whale is from 1988 (featuring an older movie than that), and Eraser came out in 1996.

What is this strange movie memory I've carried with me in me noggin for over thirty years?

I'm gonna guess it might have been this.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 25, 2019

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Fair point. Two other possibilities I came across that roughly fit the OP’s time frame are The Cassandra Crossing (1976) and Runaway Train (1985).

EDIT: No, wait! According to a question on another website, the movie the OP is looking for is probably Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 25, 2019

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 3, 2022

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Something in the Trump lol thread made me think of this: a movie from the '50s or '60s, in color, about a criminal (or maybe someone on the run from the mob) who gets a facelift. Most of the movie is spent with him recuperating in a house, and I think in the process he meets a woman he falls in love with. I think MST3K, Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic riffed this movie at one point, but I'm not sure.

The closest movie I can think of that Cinematic Titanic did is The Oozing Skull (and it’s the first thing I thought of when I saw your post in the Trump thread):

https://shout-tv.com/mystery-science-theater-3000/cinematic-titanic-the-oozing-skull/5ba281001a9ef112a8009f38

It’s about the leader of a middle eastern country who has terminal cancer and wants to have his brain transplanted into a young healthy body so that he can keep leading the country.

Doesn’t sound quite like what you’re looking for though.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I actually had this conversation with my mom recently. There's this really good candy/bakeless cookie(?) recipe in an old church cookbook and I told her we're probably the only people who have any knowledge it exists anymore. All the submitters are probably dead or close to it, most cookbooks just sit on shelves and truthfully a good chunk have them have probably all been tossed by relatives cleaning their effects after they died for what was a very limited production anyway. Just kinda neat to think about

And that right there is why I collect church lady cookbooks. All those recipes that would otherwise be lost (and it's also fun to see people's different variations on the same type of food). I love how woefully incomplete some of them are, too, as if the people who submitted them just take it for granted that you'll know what size pan to use, or how long to bake something. Like, those are the recipes that were handed down through someone's family and whoever submitted them can do them from memory, so of course they don't need to give full instructions for someone preparing the dish for the first time.