Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

There was a science show on PBS in the early 80s that I would watch with my very sweet departed grandfather, and it was hosted by an elderly British man with floofy red/grey hair and I believe he was in a wheelchair. He would explain things from his oak-panelled study in his home and I believe his wife(?) was alongside him not in a nursing context, but because she was also a scientist. It wasn't a kid's show but an adult boring PBS show about a dude explaining cool things. He did a segment on metabolism or something where he kept referring to food intake calories as 'foodstuffs' and I thought it was the goofiest thing ever. Any help would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

baby picture posted:

I remember this. It was a very early FOX Network show, maybe even one of their first non sports broadcasts. I think the main character was a high school aged James Bond? But a comedy?

...that sounds so stupid, but then again this was around the same time Herman's Head aired.

I recently started reading huge chunks of this thread and apologize for the late entry that's almost certainly been answered. You're thinking of 'Parker Lewis Can't Lose', Fox's answer to being unable to license the Ferris Bueller character. He had a nerd friend and a huge jock friend named Moose or Ox or something.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Koob indeed!

And they would always synchronize watches for their shenanigans

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 19, 2020

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

uvar posted:

I wonder if you are at least partly thinking of Connections with James Burke? It's like 50-50 for what you're describing.

symbolic posted:

I did a bit of digging, and although I didn't find it, maybe these two lists might jog your memory?

No luck, but thank you both very much for checking. I'll keep plugging away!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Perhaps one of the Time Life series The Enchanted World, like Legends Of Valour or The Fall Of Camelot?

Oh my god those were the coolest poo poo. The wizards and ghosts volumes kickstarted my love for cheesy fantasy art when I was like 7.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Metaline posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the edit from the film Amadeus in which every shot of sheet music has been replaced with drawings of dicks? It’s Salieri’s perfect dictation scene.

Get the gently caress in

Page after page of it, as if he was taking dick notation from God. Finished as no music was ever finished. Displace one veiny shaft and there would be diminishment.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

Ganja Poo Poo by the Cupid Kidz

I am so sorry

:nws::metis::sonia::sweden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsxarkI-3XQ

I thought OP was exaggerating but holy poo poo, that has almost no merit on any level outside of 'brief nipple flash'

E: Thank you for posting it so I can annoy my friends now, though.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

No it was none of those. I've read over a list of every hip-hop release that came out between 1995 to 2005 and nothing stuck out. Except Dr Octagon but I might just have been remembering Dr Octagon for the first time in years. Maybe they weren't white or maybe just the guy doing to scratching was. The album art was predominantly blue, maybe?

Tossing this longshot into the bucket:
https://youtu.be/V9VYzNUXGDA

(Skip to 2:25)

EP cover:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Funkdreamer posted:

When I was 3 or 4 years old, my parents woke me up one night to watch the Frosty the Snowman cartoon.

They sat me down in front of the TV and there was some show on that was just ending. A person was driving a car and another car drove up alongside it with extendable kneecappers hidden in the wheels. They drilled through the first car's tires, causing it to fly into a ditch and explode. It was vaguely alarming to me at the time because was this a common occurence on the road? Was this something to be concerned about on my way to daycare?

Anyway, it might have been the A-Team or Knight Rider or something like that. Probably around 1986-87.

That sounds extremely in line with the best worst Mad Max ripoff ever, NBC's 'The Highwayman'. A totally not Max guy and his Aussie sidekick drive around a futuristic wasteland American southwest doing vehicle stuff in their futuristic semi that has a helicopter on it, and get into lots of vehicular road fights.

https://youtu.be/4S43ASGEOuU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

frogge posted:

I can't seem to find an old music video / song. I can't remember the title of it and all of my searches have turned up nothing.
What I am looking for is a happy hardcore video focusing on a massive piece of Earth digging machinery but it's like a laser cannon or something protecting the Earth in the lyrics to the song.

TIA if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/azEvfD4C6ow

E: GODDAMMIT THE ONE TIME I KNOW A THING

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

If it makes you feel any better I haven't gotten one in a while and that's devastating

It does, but regardless :jail:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It wouldn't be Sharon, Lois, and Bram's 'The Elephant Show', would it? Peanut butter featured heavily in one of the recurring songs and it was on Nickelodeon in reruns well into the 90s.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jeza posted:

Am I going nuts or did there used to be 'rock' versions of songs on Imogen Heap's album Ellipse? I can't find any evidence of this ever existing, or even alternate versions. There are instrumentals, I don't think they were it, but they have also been wiped off streaming services and YT for some weird reason. Specifically looking for the song 'Tidal'.

A huge amount of electronic remixes are out there, but are you thinking of this?
https://effyeahimogenheap.tumblr.com/post/2410300066

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Not Wonder Boy 3, was it? Originally for the Master System, been remastered recently! Very faithful to the original, I still get stuck on the pirate dragon

https://store.steampowered.com/app/543260/Wonder_Boy_The_Dragons_Trap/

Oh, wow, I had the Turbografx 16 port of this but it was called Dragon's Curse! I haven't thought of this in decades. Mouse-man and Hawk-man were the best, and there was a fish guy, and a tiger, and the dragon dude, and...

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some travel show that was on Comedy central. Waaaay back in the day. 20 years or so. It's not Insomniac

There was a mockumentary one called Wanderlust in like 2002 with a guy pretending to be a German backpacker, if that's it?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Post it in the "What is this book?" thread in the Book Barn.

If you do this, please be sure to post here if there's an answer! I'm combing through poo poo and it's maddening :emo:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Tip posted:

Alright, this is kind of a different request for this thread, I'm looking for a patent from 1954.

It's referred to here:
https://www.engnet.us/c/c.aspx/OMN006

"First patented in 1954, our High Capacity 'Endless Track' Ball Transfer Units have been in continuous production ever since and continue to solve the industry's toughest applications."

And described differently here:
https://www.engnet.us/c/c.aspx/OMN006/productdetail/high-capcity-ball-transfer-unit

"First patented in 1954, our Omnitrack High Capacity 'Double Recirculation' Ball Transfer Units offer maximum precision & smoothest performance. Machined from solid steel bar, this innovative design provides the highest load capacity & longest service life available."

That patent should be long expired and I really want to see how they're recirculating the balls, but patents that old are hard to find.

It's a UK patent filed under tha name of the inventor's original firm, Autoset Production LTD, and this is the patent listing with a priority date closest to and preceding (October of '53) the actual claimed patent date of 1954:
Anti-frictional bearings of the load-ball type

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

:dbuddy:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mr Darcy posted:

An anime style show.

Don't know if it was a series or a movie. Or ever a series butchered into a movie for the western audience.

It was about space pirates, I don't 'think' it was Captain Harlock related though.

All I remember is a spaceship gets attacked by a pirate ship - skull and crossbones painted on it's nose which fires missiles into the target which penetrate the target's hull and release a gas that paralyses/freezes the target ship's crew. Then the pirates board wearing possibly armoured space suits and search the target for something. I remember one or more of them chatting to or commenting to the frozen crew of the target while they searched.

Would have been available in the UK, either having been shown on TV or on video, probably late 80s or early 90s.

You totally sure it's not in the Captain Harlock universe?

"A Space Buster equipped below the bridge, mainly used to intercept fighters. The gun also fires harpoons for latching onto enemy ships while releasing a freezing gas within the opposing ship."

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It's one of a small number of pitch books put together to sell the film project to studios, and contains hundreds of pages of notes and storyboards and concept art from Moebius, HR Giger, etc. about how Jodorowsky planned to adapt Dune to film. You'll notice the covers are cut out and hand-glued since such a small number were made. Only 10-20 ever existed.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

There's this groovy rear end psychedelic rock song that I'm fairly certain is from the o.g. 1967-1969 era, not sure if British or American

i am capable of humming it, the chorus and verse

i don't think i have the lyrics in memory correct, but the chorus kind of dramatically builds up to this line that is like "we are all just plastic boys and plastic girls....in a world....that doesnt care"

heard it in a work truck years ago and its always bothered me. i have clicked through the discographys of so many classic bands from the period - Strawberry Alarm Clock, the Soft Machine, 13th Floor Elevators, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Scott freakin' Walker, etc etc etc.......

The Kinks' 'Plastic Man' from 1969, maybe? It's not the most psychedelic thing in the world, but...
https://youtu.be/f95UCJs2rUA

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

An oddball catalog from the late 80s/early 90s. I suspect if I could find some old Hit Parader magazines or the like I'd probably find a mailing address in the back pages for something and be able to search the internet for it after that.

But I remember my brother used to get these catalogs every so often that would contain all I could probably refer to as 'Headbanger Supplies'. A huge focus on the 70s-early 90s metal scene of stuff, but there was some overlap with various pop, 60s, hippie, etc. material. I say this because I do recall stuff like Grateful Dead and Beatles merch in it. I'd say it would have to be from before 1992 because I don't recall much in the way of a grunge or rap content.

But it was a catalog that you could order your band posters, tiger tooth earrings, studded leather bracelets, rings with spikes on them, album cover denim jacket iron-ons, T-shirts, and other associated metal fandom supplies from.

Seconding Rockabilia, their catalogs ruled. It was some warehouse outfit in the midwest that always had ads in the back of Rolling Stone and Thrasher to send away for a free catalog.

https://rockabilia.com/blogs/news/the-past-present-and-future-of-rockabilia

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The Vanishing, "White Walls"
https://youtu.be/xUsAMC1aoSw

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

HOLY poo poo IT HAPPENED

Thank you, terrifying dog avatar

I was not only adding the word "up" to the chorus, I was actually adding the extra beat necessary to make it sound right in my head. Fascinating!

Aww, you even gave a lil' youtube shoutout. Class act :)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

https://accountant247.tripod.com/gossip.html ?

E- goddammit

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The Good, The Ben, and The Älg Guy

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Nobody coming through with Cowper's Gland, huh

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Scam Likely posted:

There's a goon who has an avatar of Buc-ee the gas station chain mascot, except he's a communist Chinese version with a red star on his hat. Anyone know the poster or where the avatar came from? I find it hilarious.

I want to say it's the poster Brutalist McDonalds but that's shaky... Thank you for ruining my day as I look for this avatar and inevitably don't find it!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Does anyone remember a scene from the 90s Beavis and Butthead where they are sitting in a class somewhere laughing really hard? It was their typical "huh huh huh" "heh heh heh" laughs but like super rapid and high pitched. I can hear it in my mind but I'd like to watch it again.

This, maybe?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=RRt4ody2r-Q&feature=share8

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

3"D Megadobetter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy hell, that guy undeniably puts tremendous care into perfectly crafting something unbelievably, gratingly awful. It's so actively repulsive that I both respect and loathe him.