Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I used to work at a group home for "severely and persistently mentally ill adults" which is basically the technical term for people who are truly crazy. Most of them have schizoid affective disorder diagnosis or something on that order, and I worked the night (11 pm to 7 am) shift. Obviously, rather than do my job I would sort of nap/sleep on the couch watching TV in the living room once I was done with the cleaning. One time I half woke up to this really trippy SYFY (it was still Sci-Fi then) movie (at least it was on the sci-fi channel) that had a sort of steampunk type look with people who were or became Egyptian gods and a city full of rails so people could ride tram cars around instead of you know.. regular cars. I think it was about a detective or something. And a guy with a hawk head (Osiris presumably) shot someone or something like that.

I'd like to see that movie in full but I've never been able to find it. Every few years I recall that it exists and try to track it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

I think that's definitely it. Thank you!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Spicy Queso Sun Chips. Costco no longer carries them.

I quite liked that vanilla toothpaste that was all the rage like ~10-15 years ago.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

(pronounced meems)

How do you pronounce meme?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Again, this is NOT memes like we think of them. They were more like radio jingles and cell towers and subliminal TV commercials. The early version of the word that the modern meaning of them from which it grew.

I ended up in restraints while I was halfway through the book. My Psychiatrist got rid of all 100 or so books because they were mostly sci-fi/fantasy and causing delusions interfering with my treatment plan. I still hate that doctor but I always wanted to finish that book.

So the first definition of the word - that is still accurate and in use. Sorry about your therapist though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Dr Strangepants posted:

I'll post one that I was eventually able to figure out. I was at a museum several years ago and came upon some architectural drawings from the 80's that looked just like Protoss buildings. One look and it was immediately clear that Blizzard must have borrowed the building designs to make the Protoss race in Starcraft. Afterward, I forgot his name and couldn't find any mention of any architect or design inspiration on Blizzard fan sites. For a little while I thought maybe it was sketches from Santiago Calatrava, who is also amazing if you want to peep at some cool buildings.

Finally found him: Eugene Tssui

I (eventually) found this bad photo of a postcard from the exhibit:

"House for Hugh and Ida Fraser, Oslo Norway"

If anyone could find more info on this drawing, or just a better picture, that would be cool.

Another image here: https://images.app.goo.gl/izxW3F5hQv3byHna7

I don't actually know if any Blizzard artist did use him for inspiration, I just remember seeing several of his drawings at the time and thinking they were too close in style for coincidence.

It's possible, but Starcraft started out as a Warhammer 40k game. It's not a coincidence the Eldar and Protoss are basically the same, Zerg/Tyranids, Humans/Space marines. Though it's also possible 40k took some inspiration from that architect.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I have another one, it's a quote, maybe someone's "google-fu" is better than mine:

"Every man will think himself the wisest, for he sees his own wisdom close at hand, but others at arm's length."

I really thought it was Plato, but I can't find it anywhere.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Funny how that's such a common setup! But yeah, those started a few years after I read this book in 96-7 (I'm 100% sure of the year because I remember that a certain teacher had it on her bookshelf in the classroom)

It's a variant on Cinderella really, and that story has been told in endless permutations for hundreds of years.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

blacksocks posted:

Aeon Flux full TV show, in good quality (there are YouTube versions with distortion to avoid copyright take down)

I could send it to you.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’ve thought about that a lot while playing games over the years, but I can’t remember the name of the game.
There’s a board game like this where it’s not really explained what you’re doing and then you discover the point of the game is to load people efficiently onto trains to Auschwitz.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Normalman posted:

Something I've been missing so much, that I've wanted to see it again for all these years, but I can't for the life of me find out anything about it or if it's even up anymore.

Around when the Watchmen movie came out, there was a youtube diatribe by this extremely angry overweight geek about what a travesty the very idea was. Select quotes I remember, most being yelled while finger-waving at his camera...

"That's right, Watchmen is like THE BIBLE. And ALAN MOORE, is JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF!"

"YOU brought this nightmare upon us, you IGNORANT MASSES, you SHEEPLE! You've brought this darkness upon YOURSELVES!"

Etc, etc. I wish I could be more descriptive and I realize it's very likely been deleted at some point over the years, but it really delighted me and I wish I could see it again.

This reminds me of something...

When the "new" Star Trek movies with Chris Pine were announced, someone made a mash-up of the trailer for the new Star Trek movie with the episode of Star Trek where Kirk gets split in two. In it Shatner watches Pine on a viewscreen then starts pounding the console saying "I am Kirk, I am Kirk" anyway, IIRC it got taken off youtube for a DMCA violation, but if someone had it I would love to have a copy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

That is an intensely, and intensely long, action scene.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

Dune or Dune 2?

It seems so obvious when you say it like that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mothman was a late bloomer, the first sightings and bridge collapse were in the late 1960s and the book The Mothman Prophecies was printed in 1975 and took a while to trickle out into pop culture.

It’s a great movie

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

A monster/horror film where these people are trapped in a building with no power and a deadly monster

The monster is pretty big, and has horizontal mouthparts like an insect. At one point a man is lowered into a room with the monster, and when they pull him back up, his lower torso is gone.

One of the scientists in the film analyses the monster's DNA and concludes it's 33% human or thereabouts.

It's such a great terrible movie. Saw it many times on night shift when I worked with the persistently and mentally ill.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

kupachek posted:

Also in the same vein are Leviathan, 1989 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097737/
and Screamers, 1995 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114367/

Mimic also.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

There's a dark comedy cooking show parody YouTube where this guy, who is barely keeping it together, does a rather poor job of preparing whatever he is cooking but during one of the waiting periods the camera pans over a hoarder hovel (I remember a lot of boxes) which he looks out upon in quiet despair

I think he was blond but it's been years since I saw it

This isn't the video, but there's a video where a guy is reviewing whiskey as his wife packs her things and moves out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouGLEtapOX8

Sort of reminded me.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Super vague and something that seems like it probably has been parodied a few times.
I'm remembering an (action-ish?) scene where a character that supposedly died shows up to which someone responds "i thought you died?!/i thought you were dead?! and they just dryly reply with "nope!" or something along that line and it is never adressed again.

That happens in American Dad season 15 with a minor character. Francine says I thought you died .. or something

And he says "doesnt seem like something I'd do" but it's a minor character.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok, White Whale thread, work your magic on these two things, both somewhat related.

1) A book or video series advertised on TV in the 90's for all sorts of pseudoscience things. It is NOT the "Mysterious of the Unknown" series. I've seen a couple commercials for that, and that is not it. It's from later, more like mid 90's, not late 80's. The one VERY distinct part I remember is the narrator talking about "The Face of Mars" while the camera pans over the somewhat famous/infamous "face of Mars" photo:

2) A book, that was part of a larger book series (but AGAIN, not The Mysterious of the Unknown,) that was also about pseudoscience and cryptids. It was a single book about that sort of stuff in a series of other books, the rest of which were all normal. I think the books were aimed at kids/young teens, but can't be sure...I can't remember what specific things the other books were about, but it was probably standard things like "Dinosaurs" and "Plants" and "Space."
But this last one in the series I liked the most, cause I was into that sort of stuff as a kid, and had chapters on things like the Bermuda Triangle, the Mary Celeste, and a lot on cryptids. I specifically remember section on "sea monsters" that showed a photo taken on a Russian, or Chinese, fishing boat of a "sea monster" the crew caught that even the book said might just have been a dead sea turtle who's shell had fallen off. And another small section on the possibility of "mini dinosaurs" possibly living in a remote section of the jungle in Africa, with a drawing of a couple small dinosaurs only about as tall as some palm trees.

I think if you read through the thread there's been a few requests like this.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

*Original BSG. I had one of these and lost it in a move. What was the dumb-rear end kid’s name?

Was the kid Boxy or was the ... bear thing boxy?

Also if you actually watch the original BSG there are only Cylons in like 4 episodes.

*edit

It was Boxey. HE WAS ALSO ATREYU.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Poopelyse posted:

(side note: they made a sequel to Lawnmower Man??)

Yeah it’s not uh, not great. It’s the guy who played Barclay on ST:TNG and I’m glad he was able to get work.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tip posted:

It's an absolute crime that you confused Matt Frewer with Barclay.

And while it's not great, it is absolutely bizarre and worth watching. It takes place just a couple years after the original but somehow it's gone from 90s suburbia to Johnny Mnemonic.

Okay he was the time traveler who stole the other time travelers poo poo. I knew I recognized him from Star Trek.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

hexwren posted:

You are definitely thinking about Exosquad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwAU1g92OjA

That's what I was thinking too. I didn't actually watch it but my brother did and I saw some of it incedentally.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke

That’s the sensation of biting into a York peppermint patty.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When the new Star Trek reboot was about to come out, someone made a faux-trailer that interspersed the trailer with scenes from The Original Series, especially the episode the Enemy within where Shatner gets split into two parts, and at one point he gets upset and starts beating up equipment saying "I am Kirk".

I got a kick out of that faux-trailer, but I'm pretty sure it got DMCA''ed off the internet, it disappeared from my bookmarks and I've never seen it since.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

A word request: I saw a word recently that I'd never seen before and thought it was a misspelling or some sort of trendy portmanteau but it had an actual dictionary(.com...) definition and everything. I can't quite remember it. I think it was something to do with a lousy student, or academic or even a writer. I'm familiar with poetaster and tried googling it along those lines and I've also googled "synonym for bad student" but that just comes up with synonyms for bad with student tacked on. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure these forums. I have too many threads to find it though

have you tried the phrontisery? https://phrontistery.info/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Konar posted:

Pretty sure that is Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder

Confirmed. Great movie.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

i sleep on planes

You’ll miss the angels having sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I have never seen this but it is now my white whale too.

I am also willing to give up my arm to see this.