Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I've been trying to find an adventure game that I got on a MacAddict demo disc in the late 1990s. It was one of those games where you typed in commands like "look north," "search desk" and had black-and-white Manhole-style graphics. The plot was something like, you wake up in your house to go about your normal day, but weird stuff happens. I distinctly remember that you could encounter Busta Rhymes and if you got into combat with him, he would blow weed smoke in your face and you would lose health. You could also encounter an alien.

There were a lot of games like this, but only one with the weird Busta Rhymes weed smoke combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Julius CSAR posted:

Speaking of old Mac games, can we all just take a moment to remember Our Lord and Savior, Ambrosia Software?

RIP. The site and forums were still up until a few months ago, but are finally and truly dead now. Still kind of surprised and disappointed that they never did much with mobile/indie gaming, both of which boomed not super long after they started to fizzle out. Oh well.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I lately remembered a game that I played when I was a kid, late 90s to early 2000s. It probably came on a PC Gamer sampler CD with coconut monkey.

Game was a futuristic rts-like, but kinda also like simcity. You were building your city on this grid, and you had to assign workers to build things or work in the research labs or whatever. You could play as a few different races - human, and the only other one I remember clearly we’re these big orange bipedal scorpions with some uncreative name like Scorpios or something. Your base could get attacked by competing civilizations and you would have to have defenses.

This has gotta be Deadlock.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Laslow posted:

A Jeweler’s Monarch of Deflection on Diablo II.

I’ve found every other ridiculously valuable item in that game. A perfect Mara’s Kaleidoscope. Even the Zod rune with such a low drop rate, it’s up there with grand prizes on scratch lotto tickets.

If I found one, I wouldn’t even know what to do with it, to be honest. Probably give it to my brother with 4 lightning facets since he usually rolls a lightning amazon and turn him into an unstoppable ball of electricity. Or just use it on my Sorceress with 4 Ist runes(25% increase to find magical items, for a 100% boost). Which would be like driving a Bentley to your job at Dollar Tree.

:justpost: about your botting setup and D2 hours figure, getting a legit Zod is insane.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Potrzebie posted:

PcLeague v2.1, a football (soccer) manager from 1994 made by Asle Rokstad.

It was released in full as freeware by the creator 2008 or so, but all I can find if the dumb shareware that has disabled the save function. The closest I've come is :filez: bundled up with 19k other DOS-games, but that's not what I want.

Couldn't you just only download the one file you want? It's pretty easy to tell your torrent client to only download certain files.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

All Hat No Cattle posted:

I'm looking for a music video that was sort of viral maybe ten or fifteen years ago. I don't remember much, but it involved people playing traditional instruments from Korea, Japan, or China (can't remember which), and the big thing was there was a blue wig that made the rounds. At least one person wore it on and off, and I think several people did.

I've been looking for this for a while.

This might be Hatten Ar Din? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgdfcKtRQW8

It isn't Korea, Japan, or China, but there's a hat that makes the rounds.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Raspberry Bang posted:

This one nags me every once in awhile:

There was a pop 80’s music compilation which had a commercial that ran A LOT back in the late 90’s. The name of the compilation is not important but what is important to me is that during the commercial there was this PERFECT transition from this one song into “Tainted Love”. For the life of me I can’t think of what that song could be and it occasionally bugs the poo poo out of me.

:respek: I thought it was just me. I probably haven't seen that commercial in 20 years (until it was just posted) and I still think sometimes about how perfectly Der Komissar transitioned into Tainted Love.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

curlingiron posted:

This is a slightly different kind of request, but I have been trying to figure out the ...background lyrics, I guess you would call them, sung along with the last chorus of this song forever. I can make out “Something inside you is” and then I can make a guess at a few more words, and I think it ends with “then we will find you,” but there’s a huge chunk in the middle that I cannot decipher. Every time I look up the lyrics it doesn’t include that part, and I’m not technically savvy enough to try and manipulate the song itself.

:whatup: very pleasantly surprised to see Grand Buffet posted

I've listened to this song a ton and never tried to decipher that part for some reason. Best I can do is: something inside you is telling you try to break free of all that binds you and only then we can find you

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

super mario batali posted:

I posted a white whale and the OP never came back to see it :(

That poster is your white whale now.

Reposting this one I posted last year in hopes that someone will recognize it:

Bold Robot posted:

I've been trying to find an adventure game that I got on a MacAddict demo disc in the late 1990s. It was one of those games where you typed in commands like "look north," "search desk" and had black-and-white Manhole-style graphics. The plot was something like, you wake up in your house to go about your normal day, but weird stuff happens. I distinctly remember that you could encounter Busta Rhymes and if you got into combat with him, he would blow weed smoke in your face and you would lose health. You could also encounter an alien.

There were a lot of games like this, but only one with the weird Busta Rhymes weed smoke combat.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 11, 2020

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

cda posted:

I'm looking for a science fiction story. The premise is that because of overpopulation or something, people only live on alternate days and they get put in stasis on the other days, so for example one person would live Monday Wednesday and Friday, and the other one would live Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and then maybe every other Sunday or something like that. My memory is hazy and Google hasn't helped.

Something like this happens in Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky. It isn't the premise of the story but on/off stasis schedules get discussed a bunch.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jean Pony posted:

My white whale is a video game.

What I remember:

It's late 80s or early 90s I'd guess.
You move sideways on the screen like in a Mario game.
The game had a surreal touch to it.
There where flying, biting mouths out to get you.
The first level was some sort of garden level?
One of the levels had a chess patterned floor?

Do you remember anything else about it? There were a ton of platformers in that era and this could describe any number of them. What did your character look like?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm looking for a TV commercial: San Pellegrino used to have a cool jingle that went "Dinner at Eight, San Pellegrino" or something like that, but I can't find it on the internet at all.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Looking for what was either a long-ish episode of the 90s Outer Limits or a made-for-TV movie that I saw on the Sci Fi channel at some point in the early to mid 2000s. There's a space station that acts like a leper colony for people with an incurable disease that causes strange mutations; nobody else is allowed to visit and they've got a nice little community of oddballs. Theyget contacted by the government and asked to somehow help out to create a cure for the disease, I think by letting a team of scientists aboard or something like that. The leaders of the station debate whether it's a trick or not and eventually decide to try and help, over strong objections. It doesn't go well and it turns out it was pretty much a trick. The last shot of the episode is a huge batch of new mutants arriving at the station as the current inhabitants look on in horror, with the implication being that the place is about to become really overcrowded and lovely. I remember that there was a clean-cut officer dude who got sent to negotiate the station's assistance, who reveals near the end that he also has the disease.

This was not the Dr. Who episode "Terminus" which is the only thing I can find when googling for sci-fi stuff that involves leper colony space stations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Action Jacktion posted:

That was an episode of Masters of Science Fiction called “The Discarded,” based on a story by Harlan Ellison.

:thumbsup:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Churchill posted:

This is kind of vague, but someone tweeted about working as a server and someone famous was a guest and his food order was messed up somehow. The server apologised and the celebrity said something along the lines of "don't worry, they be like that sometimes". The celebrity in question then actually responded to the tweet once it blew up. Any idea what I'm talking about?

https://twitter.com/Ludacris/status/1072248963208744962

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Literally A Person posted:

What is this?:

Found in an old, very very old, toolbox. Wondering if it's military. The toolbox was owned by a dude who served in World War 2. Any ideas?

Not sure what exactly that thing is, but yeah it looks like ready service ammunition refers to ammunition stored to be ready for quick use.

Maybe this was some kind of dongle or tag used in connection with storage of 20mm ammunition. Here's a pic I found on reddit of a "20mm ready service" room.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The other is a two-player card game from the 1970s: it let you play WWI dogfights against each other. Each of you had a hand of cards. You both chose a move, and the combination of your moves led to two new cards that showed your current orientation relative to each other. It was such a brilliant piece of design. I *think* each card showed your plane from your point-of-view, but it might have shown both planes.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Each player had their own deck, and I think you could buy different planes as additional decks. It's not Dogfight, because the colors were black and white and it was delicate drawings of the planes.

I've seen this game - it was the late 90s I was at my cousin's place and I really wanted to play it but he didn't want to. I have the same recollection of delicate, black and white drawings of the planes from the pilot's point of view. But unfortunately I have no idea what it was called.