Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Macintosh II series. Almost got one off someone who strung me along for months and blew me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

A Macintosh II series. IICI, IIX, IIFX (lol I'm not that lucky) IIC.
A Quadra would be just as good.

Had a source in BC for one but they strung me along for months and then just stopped responding to me, jackass. Even did a few video calls but never actually nailed down the price or shipping after repeatedly trying.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

A Power Mac 9600. I'm a vintage computer dork and desperately want one (or an 8600.) I did have an 8600 for a while but foolishly resold it when I went to basic training.
Then I got injured and had to go home. For up to a year.

I want that fuckin' thing back.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

emSparkly posted:

Right on. The 90s Macs ruled. I think I'd say my white whale is an iMac G3 that isn't loving broken.

Check local, Facebook marketplace is a good start. They aren't super-rare and don't command wacky prices if you're not focused on a specific speed or colour.
Unlike most they also ship.... okay. Definitely require professional packaging, but have a decent chance of survival.

System 7.6 on a fast Power PC is probably the all time goat for responsiveness in an operating system. 3-4 years of Apple being fixated on a pie in the sky project and only updating system 7 for bugs and new systems means it's last release is lean and slim. Missing a ton of features too, but I really miss when every OS didn't come with everything and it left it open to you to choose what to stack on.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I have a Mac 8600 again! Ironically, I cleaned it up and tore parts from a newer, faster, system for it!
It's good though.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Asynchronous Event posted:

Looking beautiful!
Which version of system are you going to run?

No, that is not one that they're looking for.
It may have popped up in a search since it's in a series, but that is ISBN 9788253041445, while they need 9788253037752 and 9788253040417.
I believe they'll appreciate the effort all the same.

7.6.1, which is the whole reason I want one of these. Fastest OS7 supporting system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Asynchronous Event posted:

A Goon with exquisite taste.
Post or PM some photos once you have everything cleaned and set up and running? (If you don't mind/if it isn't too much to ask)

Oh missed this but sure.