Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a story I remember only vaguely about a guy who discovers a colony of intelligent mice in his basement. They use tools and they're able to communicate. He helps them along with building stuff and they become a civilization. Initially he keeps it hidden from his wife, but one day he comes home to discover she's found them on her own and is completely enchanted with them, and it even kind of rekindles their relationship and they pretty much just grow old together and become the guardians of generations of mice.

Somehow I got it firmly in my head that it's a goon post, but it may be a general internet story, or even one from an anthology. A while ago I posted in in all the "lost stuff" threads I could find and it rang a bell with a couple of people, but no one's managed to come up with so much as a title or author.

other than that man I dunno, had a bunch over the years but eventually found them all, I guess I'm pretty good at tracking poo poo down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

Did the mice form religions really easily?

If so, this might be one of the backstory shorts from Seanan McGuire's "InCryptid" books.
Yeah that was the first thing everyone suggested. I've looked into it and I feel like what I've read had a different vibe. But sure, backstory short, that could well be.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Grevling posted:

When I was a kid I remember watching a film that really disturbed me. I never found out which film it was and figured it was some obscure B movie.

UNTIL earlier this year I watched the film The Pervert's Guide To Cinema and realized it was Blue Velvet by Stephen Lynch. I'll watch it one of these days when I feel like watching a Lynch movie.
David Lynch, although I'm sure that would be spectacular.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

http://seananmcguire.com/icshorts.php

about half of these are free; the other half are in purchaseable anthologies.

http://seananmcguire.com/fgaeslinmice.php
Cheers; if nothing else that's reinforced my belief my lost story was nothing like that. Mine was, with all due respect, much less... airport-fiction-y.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's 33 books in the series but I think this is the one that has those pictures (although I'm not 100% sure)

It's also entirely possible that they just grabbed those few illustrations from some other book
wait poo poo now that's a cover design I remember, but from German books. My hometown library had eight or nine of those.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If it was 2001 and you plugged "weird al" into napster I'm sure you'd find that right away.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dr Strangepants posted:

I'll post one that I was eventually able to figure out. I was at a museum several years ago and came upon some architectural drawings from the 80's that looked just like Protoss buildings. One look and it was immediately clear that Blizzard must have borrowed the building designs to make the Protoss race in Starcraft. Afterward, I forgot his name and couldn't find any mention of any architect or design inspiration on Blizzard fan sites. For a little while I thought maybe it was sketches from Santiago Calatrava, who is also amazing if you want to peep at some cool buildings.

Finally found him: Eugene Tssui

I (eventually) found this bad photo of a postcard from the exhibit:

"House for Hugh and Ida Fraser, Oslo Norway"

If anyone could find more info on this drawing, or just a better picture, that would be cool.

Another image here: https://images.app.goo.gl/izxW3F5hQv3byHna7

I don't actually know if any Blizzard artist did use him for inspiration, I just remember seeing several of his drawings at the time and thinking they were too close in style for coincidence.
We've got a book of his at my office, Evolutionary Architecture. Sure enough, it's in there, along with the other image. There's not a lot of additional info to be had from that though - pretty much what it says on the image, and he lists it among his projects from 1986. Whether it ever got built, or whether Hugh Fraser is the quite well-known actor Hugh Fraser that makes it near impossible to search for a different Hugh Fraser on Google, who knows. Nor does it say anything about Blizzard, although if I had to guess I'd say an aspiring video game artist who did some research on organic architecture because his company wants it in the new game might easily come across Tssui.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phy posted:

loving I FOUND THE MOUSE FRIENDS POST

Someone reposted it on the Democratic Underground forums and specifically called it out as being from SA
holy gently caress

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

of course what I remembered as a sweet heartwarming anthology story would turn out to be an elaborate juggalo analogy, if it came from here

Man it's just like I remembered though. You did a great job finding that, after fruitlessly pestering three threads I was sure it would be lost to the ages. drat, now I need to make new afterlife plans, I was sure in 30-40 years I'd be haunting the ruins of the SA server farm going mousssse friendsssss at scavengers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jables88 posted:

Does anyone remember a front page article that was doing something like mocking a forum of people who believed that if you cracked open a tortoise it would be full of treasure?
But then it turned out that the forum was itself fake and made up by FYAD or something as bait?
Am I losing my mind here?
That rings a bell, and searching the front page for "tortoise treasure" brought up this article: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/internet-discount-barn-2/

But it does feel like there's more to it, along the lines of what you say. Maybe David Thorpe workshopped the idea on the forums or maybe I'm just primed to expect more now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dont Touch ME posted:

There was a movie I remember seeing on TV as a kid. It featured a band of dwarves I think and this little kid. I don't really remember much about the movie, except that they were being relentlessly pursued by this big, glowing disembodied face.

I distinctly remember one scene where the dwarves are in the kid's room, and they start pushing on the kid's wall, which starts to move backwards. As they're doing that, the face appears and they all start to panic and push faster. The face gets really close when they push the wall back far enough to reveal a door and they jump through at the last second.

It was an extremely trippy movie, but I have never been able to track down anything about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cfumd0JPBw

That's Time Bandits, yo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The way I always heard the story is that people never cashed Picasso's checks, but sell them for the signature for far more than the check's value. A variant that paints him as a bit more shrewd is that he was well aware, and it was the very reason he'd pay for everything by check.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Obsidianheart posted:

Embarrassing how many of those songs I listen to semi-regularly.
Yeah that's a legit good and comprehensive 80s playlist, something like 80% of those are in my heavy rotation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Most High!

Not sure if anyone has the original post but someone's replicated it on reddit:

quote:

Alright, jerkfaces, time for a real man to enter this movie pitching game.

The film starts by establishing that the Pope is dying and it's only a matter of time before he passes on to the great pulpit in the sky. So our two heroes, who have heard of the fabled Stash of Saladin in the Vatican archives, trek to the Vatican knowing that everyone will be distracted preparing for the upcoming papal selection, and they plan to try to steal the weed. Hilarity ensues as they stumble through set piece after set piece, including the aforementioned communion-wafer munchies, a scene in which they hide a joint in what turns out to be a ceremonial censer and get an entire congregation a contact high, and I dunno, a scene where they need to fill a bong with holy water or something.

The climax comes when they're caught and pursued through the city by the Swiss Guard, and through a series of mishaps end up in the Room of Tears and disguise themselves in robes that they find there. They finally end up smoking their stash but get caught halfway through and run away, but since it's very special ancient weed the smoke ends up billowing white, so the group assembled in St. Peter's Square think a new Pope has been elected, and somehow the two end up on the balcony and everyone mistakes them for the Cardinal Protodeacon and the new Pope, so one of them has to give a speech (in a nod to The Great Dictator) and he ends up making a plea that everyone chill and be more real to each other and stuff. And the speech goes over really well and everyone cheers and then we do a voice over by one of the guys saying that while he didn't actually become Pope everyone loved his speech so much that they were both given pardons by the real new Pope and they got the girls (earlier we will have established that they stirred some decidedly unchaste feelings in two young ladies who hadn't yet taken their final vows). Then after the credits we have a scene in which the new Pope goes down into the archive himself, locks the door behind him and takes a big hit off of Saladin's Stash and says "Ahhh...stercus bonus!" THE END

We call the film "The Most High," give it a tagline like "The dope is infallible" and release at Easter 2014. 4/20/14.

You're all welcome.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You should call the library and ask. They may have records of their inventory at the time, some mid-50s librarian may remember these tapes, they may even have their actual old card catalogue still around and be able to check that for what type of media they had The Sword In The Stone on. Even if they don't have a direct resource: they're a library, that kind of stuff is literally their job, and they'll probably be happy someone's interested in their own history in a way.

If they can't help you, a university library may be able to, if they have a library science or media studies faculty. They may in fact still have similar tapes. If all else fails: National Library of Norway.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Good lord I haven't seen that picture since the second grade, some 35 ish years ago and I still remember all those gross cuts in the things neck.

Man some village way downstream will have dammed up the river and they are hosed.

or some beaver is getting the surprise of its life

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

uvar posted:

I'm posting from a different device and apparently I had this as a saved draft comment in this thread a month ago :iiam:
Does anything about this seem even slightly familiar

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"What's got two thumbs and smokes a ton of weed"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've got a vague childhood memory of a papercraft book that had templates for sets with moving parts. One was a thing like a multi-tiered birthday cake (it may have been one) with a mouthpiece at the bottom to blow in and make something happen. Another was something like a lawnmower, maybe a tank, in any case it would have had moving wheels and potentially a mechanism connected to them.

Its most distinctive design feature was that it had these stylized jackal figures on every set. They were explicitly called out as jackals. This may have been part of an overarching Egyptian theme but I don't specifically recall that. I strongly associate it with a grey, clean-cut look.

Probably from the 80s, absolutely no later than mid-90s and even that's playing it safe.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 1, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is seriously puzzling, cause it was a whole thing for New Wave (-adjacent) acts to specifically sing in German in the 80s. Do you think he would have had a career in Germany singing in English (not out of the question by any means), or would he have had a career abroad like Nomi?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

was genuinely just about to click it when my girlfriend came in and said she was going to make cocoa and if I wanted some and I think I should postpone the video

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Are they linked at the cock by an impossibly tiny chain?
I love this question's implication that you have an image but it might still be the wrong cock-out-under-glass-table photo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the one! Thanks a ton!

Boy, looking at Google images, I simultaneously remembered that very accurately and put way too much stock in the jackals. Way different general design from what I remember, too. Would love some pictures, if you have the time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Glo Friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fLqDt-5AwE

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

just saying I've been in the same sort of "was it a short story? was it an anthology or online?" situation with the basement mice story and you should probably be prepared for it being an effortpost slagging off Bill Gates or something

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

snailshell posted:

This isn't "lost", in that I know what it is, but I haven't been able to find a clip of it for years. It's a sketch from the Cambridge Footlights Revue 1982, where Stephen Fry and Emma Thompson are doing a parody of Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning in appalling accents. He asks her "Take my hand and walk with me to the window!" "But I am so desperately afraid..." "You must be straeung for me. Be straeung for me, Elizabeth." "Oh, but I am so desperately weak..."

DoomLazer posted:

This might be the way to go if you're willing to trust a youtube comment:

https://www.amazon.com/Bit-Fry-Laurie-Season-Two/dp/B000FI9OE0
Hmm, I've got the complete series DVD set. Doesn't say anything about extras, but there's a decent chance it's exactly the same DVD as a solo series 2 release in there. I can check, but feel free to remind me if I haven't reported back in a day or two.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love that the description of that says "Still holds up well today owing to a focus on silliness rather than satire" and the bit immediately after the sketch is a jaunty song about British fascism

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Incidentally, the Stephen Fry/Emma Thompson bit is on my DVD.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure MakeMKV doesn't care about regions either.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I WAS A CHILD definitely rings a faint bell. I've never seen Big Fish. I thought it might be Shaun of the Dead, but I've skimmed it and I'm almost sure it's not.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Isolationist posted:

Same guy who ended up in the wrong side of the counter, trying to order from a customer who was trying to order from him, correct?
Whether it was or wasn't, that one rings a bell.

Legorobot? Or maybe I'm just saying that because he's the only MS Paint goon I remember by name.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe you've read the Stephen King story?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Bob yells "Split their spines!" whenver a spell is cast.
Ah, the old "aggressive" voiceset option

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

More vaguely remembered and can't place than been trying hard to find, but:

Artwork of a young woman in a convertible. She's not conventionally attractive, but the whole image gives off a very happy and carefree vibe. It's quite colorful. Artist may have a Spanish name, and I vaguely seem to recall she's a character he features in various drawings.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some casual googling suggests at least part of it is contained in "The best stage scenes of 1994" (ed. Jocelyn Beard), which if you look it up on WorldCat points you to archive.org and which may or may not contain a reference to where it might be published. The archive.org version requires an account.

I've also found out that Robert Coles is the founder of the NYC Vortex Theater Company, which has no readily available contact details. Their website was vortextheater.com, it's offline but maybe some snapshots on archive.org have some old info. They might have an archive (more realistically, they might have some boxes of old 80s stuff molding in the basement).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna give this another shot, cause I'm not sure if it got drowned out by the discussion at the time or if it just really is hard to find (although it genuinely is):

Artwork of what I remember as a girl in a car, possibly cadillac convertible. She's not sexy and it's not an erotic artwork in the standard sense; not slim, not fat, actually quite unattractive, but very happy and chill. The contrast seemed to be the point. Probably red hair or blonde, possibly freckles. The style is neither very cartoony nor lifelike, but realistic, in a very European comics sort of way. Competently drawn and colorized, too. I seem to recall the artist has a Spanish or Portuguese name and had made a few artworks with this character, who he also named.

And I don't think it was explicitly a fetish thing but this is probably how I find out it was, or so the deviantart searches that I'm doing for due diligence and that are working out in every way exactly like I expected would suggest

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 19, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

about Dora getting cheated on by Plankton
This does not remotely begin to describe the full scope of it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Time_pants posted:

I'm looking for a YouTube video from like 10 years ago about speed-cooking. The dude completely destroys his kitchen on purpose doing poo poo like throwing a carton of milk like a hand grenade, slamming all the cooking utensils around as hard as he can, and tries to cut water with a knife. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time did kind of that sort of thing, and the timeframe is about right. https://www.youtube.com/rosmt/videos

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

An oddball catalog from the late 80s/early 90s. I suspect if I could find some old Hit Parader magazines or the like I'd probably find a mailing address in the back pages for something and be able to search the internet for it after that.

But I remember my brother used to get these catalogs every so often that would contain all I could probably refer to as 'Headbanger Supplies'. A huge focus on the 70s-early 90s metal scene of stuff, but there was some overlap with various pop, 60s, hippie, etc. material. I say this because I do recall stuff like Grateful Dead and Beatles merch in it. I'd say it would have to be from before 1992 because I don't recall much in the way of a grunge or rap content.

But it was a catalog that you could order your band posters, tiger tooth earrings, studded leather bracelets, rings with spikes on them, album cover denim jacket iron-ons, T-shirts, and other associated metal fandom supplies from.
Where in the world was this? Sounds a whole lot like the German EMP. They've been around since '86 and this seems like exactly what they would have covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What movie/show is it and is there an HD source?