Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
I play and collect old vintage keyboards. There are a few synthesizers which are definitely white whales. First is the Yamaha GX-1 - a lot like the CS-80, but built like an organ with two manuals and a 25-note pedalboard. Stevie Wonder used one on Songs In The Key of Life. I think they only made, like, 2 dozen of them. Keith Emerson used to own one - Hans Zimmer owns it now. A CS-80 would be sweet too, but they're also rare and fetch stupid prices at auction; we're talking like $30k.
There's also the Ondes Martenot - an early (1930s) instrument that is a lot like a keyed theremin, with three different speaker cabinets for different timbres. Not sure how many of these there are. The coolest part is the control - the keybed can wiggle for vibrato like you would on a cello; there's a ring you can wear on your finger for sliding note to note, and there's a touch-sensitive button for the attack. See the video below.
For electric pianos - I'd like an early Wurlitzer electric piano. I have a 200A and a 120, but there was also a 112, which I think was the first commercially available one they made. I guess they're a nightmare to work on, barely out of the prototype stage and not designed with servicing in mind. I'd also love to find a Rhodes Mark V, the last Fender Rhodes made only briefly in the early 80s before the company folded. There was a version with MIDI output that I would love. They also made a single 88-key one which surfaced within the last couple years (the mold for the plastic shell broke after making that one, and the company folded before they could make more), but it sold to someone in Vegas.
Hammond is best known for their organs - which I own many of - but they also briefly produced the Novachord, which is in essence an early polyphonic synthesizer built entirely with vacuum tubes and a ton of capacitors. They were used on radio programs like a classic recording of War of The Worlds. I can't remember their dimensions, but they're wide enough that you can't get them through a standard doorway. There were also some capacitors in them that used PCBs, so you potentially have haz-mat concerns working on them. The original prototype actually had a velocity-sensitive keyboard, but they decided that added too much to manufacturing costs for what was gained.
There are two models of Hammond organ it would be fun to own - one is the Concert Model E, made in the late 30s and early 40s. The other is the Grand-100 or G100, which didn't have Hammond's signature drawbars; instead it just had stop tabs like a pipe organ. I sent a message to someone with a Model E who sent one reply and haven't heard from since, and there was a G100 across the country that I couldn't get to in time and was scrapped.
As for organs I DO own, well... I honestly am not sure how many I own now but it's probably over 20. The rarest ones are probably a Hammond Model A (serial no. 892, mfd. in 1935), a Model G (made for the US Government during WWII; not many were saved), and a Model M spinet, although Model Ms do seem to come up with some frequency. I also have many Leslie speakers, and there are a couple rare early ones it would be fun to own. I have a 31A, but there was one other prototype model before that, and my 31A does not have the original amplifier. The other rare ones I own are a 50C, and a 122 that may be one of the first 200 built.

videos
GX-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajP6hXHrqkk
Ondes Martenot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9UBjrUjwo
Novachord (the first couple seconds are a piano)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH5qJHFlBcQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reverb, delay, and saw waves for the synth sounds. It's really generic so not sure of the actual patch or anything. Kinda sounds like a Roland.

Could it also be FM synthesis? I know jack about programming FM synths except that they make some unique sounds, and can have that "squishy" quality to them, like the Sega Genesis sound chip or the DX7.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

also, tronc

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Only registered members can see post attachments!

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Holy poo poo that's it. For some reason I thought it was both live action and animated.

e: also, thats an actual yikes on the mushrooms lol. I had it in another tab so I was hoping it was just a hip hop track but oh lord it wasnt

curiosity got the better of me and i had to look up the mushroom scene, good lord... that's a caricature out of the '50s, not 1986 :gonk:

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A story about Picasso. Basically he never carried money or a wallet. Instead he would just write down his name or scribble something on a piece of paper to pay for a packet of cigarettes or a bottle of milk or whatever because he was loving Picasso. I could never find anything on the internet to say this was true.

I feel like I read this on cracked or something, that a Picasso autograph isn't worth nearly as much as you'd think because he saturated the market with them while he was alive. Also your username lmao what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I'm looking for an old racist diagram/drawn picture of a dude changing the side of the street he's walking on because there's a black person approaching. I wanna find it so I can make the person approaching a cop and the dude changing sides black :hmmyes:

more of a black whale, then