Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
A game for the Gameboy color (possibly game boy advance?)

It had really basic graphics, you were a ball that bounced up and down on platforms. The level was made up entirely of these platforms and they had different colors to them which gave different abilities while you were on that platform (all I can remember is the black platform let you bounce higher) there were spikey balls stationary throughout the level which you had to avoid. I had it on one of those "30 in one" knock off cartridges and the game was in Japanese so I couldn't understand any of the guidance. I remember I got stuck because I got to a level in which you had to spend a life to complete it but only had one life left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

nishi koichi posted:

i want to say chalvo 55, but that’s game boy, not gbc.

It could well have been a Gameboy rather than Gameboy color game, infact I'm not sure I remember any real difference in color other than different shades. Like I said it was on one of those seedy 30 in 1 cartridges so wouldn't surprise me if it was just a Gameboy rom that had been stuck on there.

Unfortunately chalvo 55 isn't it but the Gameplay looks super close. The game I played had much more rudimentary graphics, (the ball was literally a black circle) and the entire level was on the screen rather than scrolling.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just found a youtube channel all about white whales/lost media. Here's a video about some of the most famous pieces of lost media which were sought after by large numbers of people for years and years - some of them eventually got discovered, some of them had been stalled during production and were never completed, and some turned out to be hoaxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQuu5POHbSU

Really enjoyed this thanks It blows my mind how stuff like Seasame Street and Dr Who can still have lost episodes. I suppose it makes sense with Dr Who being from a time well before video recorders but it makes me wonder how much recent 'lost' media is knocking around on a VHS tape in someone's loft/basement.

I don't know if it's already come up in this thread but there's a great episode of the podcast Reply All about a lost song that's a great listen: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2h8bx

The video you posted also reminded me of another one of my personal white whales. It was a children's book that terrified me when I was a kid. It was a child visiting his grandparents and having nightmares about "Midnight horses" coming to take him away.
The art style was very similar to this:

but searching that author/illustrators other work has turned up nothing.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
There was a show in the UK on E4 around 2003/2004ish named "Little Friends".

It was a hidden camera show similar to Trigger Happy TV, but the "actors" were all children (or very young looking adults).

I've never been able to find any clips from it since it aired. It used to be that I couldn't even find confirmation of its existence but over the years a handful of reviews or references have popped up in my google searches but that's all.

It's probably nowhere near as funny as I found it back then but I'd still love to find a clip of it.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
There was a text image I read on here a few years ago, I think in one of the pyf awkward/ugly/gross threads or maybe idiots on social media.

It was a screenshot of a forum post by a teenage boy who was angry at his sister for *something* but was really bad at articulating himself and nobody could get to the bottom of what he was so angry about. I remember one part of it being that his sister went swimming and had to get her hair wet?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 2, 2021

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I realise this is a super long shot but several years ago I posted in this thread (or possibly one of it's predeccessors) about a piece of music in the background of a youtube video.

I finally managed to find identify it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks1-7ioBHoQ

However, I still have never been able to pinpoint where I knew it from previously.

I know it was from a TV advert but I would really like to know what advert it was for no reason other than it has been bugging me for years.

It was an ad run on British TV, my guess would have been around 2010 but could have been a few years either side of that. I feel like it could have been a Christmas advert but that might just be the twinkly music telling me that. Something in my mind says it was for a fabric softener but that could be way off.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

CaptainBeefart posted:

One of the comments in the video: Great british ghost tv programme brought me here plays this music as intro

Another one: Anyone else recognise this from Mysteries at the Museum?

That it?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

From the comments:

Are you sure it wasn't either of those? The Ghosts show debuted in 2011

Yeah I'm sure it wasn't either of those. I'm certain it was an advert, I can just about hear the voice over in my head.

Something tells me it might have been for a fabric softener but I'm not sure if that's just my brain filling in blanks.

There's an advert I marginally remember from around the right time period that had (bizarrely creepy looking) shadow puppets in a snowy forest. This music would certainly match that motif but damned if I can find that advert (or remember what it was for) either.

Edit - I can say witha. degree of certainty it would have been an advert for some kind of product, or brand rather than a trailer/advert for a TV series.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 16, 2021

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Is it definitely that music? This schnapps ad from 2000ish has some haunting music... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-VUlXl0wUQ

Huh weird. Yeah it was 100% that music, but funnily enough this is the shadow puppet advert I mentioned above and couldn't find. So thanks for solving that one.

Edit - I also assumed you got the year wrong on that because no is that ad 20 years old... But no I did some googling and it did indeed run in 2000, so my estimation of 2010ish for the actual ad I'm looking for could be way off.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 17, 2021

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Dell_Zincht posted:

You were pretty close with fabric softener, it was an Ambi Pur advert from 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRSoWr_xLEw

edit - Higher quality version here.

(Also, the voice-over is non other than Helena Bonham-Carter!)

Bloody hell thank you! I thought this was just something that would stick with me until the day I died.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've got a couple which I doubt anyone can help with, but this thread has supprised me before.

The first one, is a joke my friend told me 24+ years ago abs he quite possibly made it up:

quote:

A boy is sitting in a good court and a reporter asks to interview him. The reoprter asks him "what are you eating today?" And the boy says "sa-lad". Then the reporter asks "And what did you eat yesterday?" And the boy replies "sa-lad". Then then reporter asks him "what will you eat tomorrow" and the boy replies "sa-lad". Then the reporter asks him "what is your favourite food?" And the boy says "CHIPS".
It's not a funny joke, I'll grant that. But the concept seems a little bit advanced for a 6 year old to come up with. I remember back then assuming he was misremembering a better joke he had heard elsewhere but have never found any reference to it.

The second is an urban legend I read online in the early 00s which I suspect wasn't an urban legend atall and was just she kids Geocities page. It was called The Butcher in the basement:

quote:

A family moved into a new house. They had a young son who wasn't aloud sweets. I've night he woke up and found a taffy next to the bed. He picked it up and saw another taffy which he picked up, then another one. He followed a trail of Taffy's down to the basement.

The next morning when the parents woke up the boy was gone. There was a search party for him but nobody checked the basement!

Years later the family were moving and went down into the basement where they found the boys corpse and a canning card from "The Butcher in the Basement".

Again, not very good but I'm curious to see if it was as bad as I remember

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Outrail posted:

So they gave up searching for their missing son? And never smelt anything? And nobody ever went into the basement?

That's actually the part that makes me want to find it again. I remember it creeping me out as a kid/early teen but like to think even child me would have seen through that gaping plot hole. I'm curious if it really did just gloss over the whole basement thing.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm looking for a web-based game that was made up of puzzles revolving around your mouse cursor. It would be stuff like a bunch of cursors would appear on the screen and only one would be your 'real' cursor, or the cursor movement was inverted. In each stage, you had to click on some stairs to move up a level. The game was in Japanese, (or perhaps Chinese or Koren) but at the very end a message displayed saying "Happy New Year". The graphics were minimal, from what I remember just black lines on a white background.

I feel like this shouldn't be too hard to find with the right search terms but I'm not hitting on anything.

This was probably about 15+ plus years ago so the game was likely in flash so lost to the ether anyway.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I suspect this would be quite easy to find if I knew the right word to describe it...

There was a website that let you draw a doodle. It would then generate a mechanism of rotating arms that would re-draw whatever you drew.

I'm finding it really tough to explain, imagine the mechanism like a clock hand but with another rotating arm fixed to the end of it, and then another one fixed to the end of that and so on. all the arms rotate at different speeds causing the very last one to trace the outline of your doodle.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

wa27 posted:

Are they "epicycles"?

For example, https://www.myfourierepicycles.com/

Yeah I think this is it. My memory is of just one set of rotating arms rather than 2 plotting x,y coordinates but this seems close enough that I suspect I'm just mis-remembering it.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

thepopmonster posted:

Probably not this: https://www.jezzamon.com/fourier/index.html but it's a very nice intro to the principle
But here's what you really wanted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963350&userid=169870

Ah thanks, this is exactly the site I remember!