Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Posting for someone else, because I don’t know and would like to read it too:

quote:

There was a short story in a sci fi collection that I read years ago. I can't remember the author or title. I wanted to think it was "The Crazy Years" but that's wrong.
Strange things kept happening, like giant spheres appearing and rolling around the countryside. There was a reporter involved that went to the various scenes and interviewed people. I don't think much came of these series of crazy events, but eventually we found out that it was all done just to get us used to crazy. Pretty sure it was aliens next.

Apparently it’s not The Visitation, which was the only real suggestion so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Clearing out an older relative's apartment, and found a box of hundreds of perfectly kept, untouched free CDs that came with various computer magazines from around... 97?? Lots and lots of ancient software, demos, little games, all sorts of random stuff. And some really specific Polish stuff, like TATRY GORY POLSKIE demo, etc. Wonder if these CDs are the only place a bunch of this stuff exists now?

Edit: Blessed CD. Discworld 2 AND Sonic??

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 9, 2024

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

~Coxy posted:

It's a chore, but if you can be bothered it would be great to get more of this stuff uploaded to archive.org
As you say, these CDs are the only archive of huge amounts of ephemera.

(I actually got a nice comment from someone last week that my upload of some random install disk for a particular old computer was the only one he could get to work to resurrect his old Mac.)

Do you know if it would be uploading the iso, or literally everything individually on the discs? There's waaaay too many and too much to do the latter, but the former might be doable, eventually. I don't think there's anyone or anywhere nearby that would be interested in taking them and doing it