Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's a museum that is obligated to display a painting of a dog because the dog's owner willed them like three million pounds two hundred years ago or something. It's technically not still obligated because the will's bequest conditions or whatever have expired but they still do it? And they used the money to buy like, a literal van Gogh or something and there's a plaque next to the dog painting explaining why they have the crappy dog painting up?

I want to find that. I saw it posted here but I can't find proof. Been trying combinations of keywords and also checking for historical examples of weird long-lasting-and-no-longer-valid conditions on wills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ItsDisposable posted:

This has to be him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cowan_Smith. It's the National Gallery of Scotland.
holy poo poo this is totally it, thank you

the painting sucks so hard:
https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/4878/callum

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This thread worked great for me last time, so I'll try again.

There was a Chinese pop band called "New Pants". Three dudes. They had a song that may have been called California, or may have just involved them going "ooooooh, California" repeatedly at the start of the song. It was definitely on YouTube when I saw it, you know, ten years ago or whatever.

I can't find that song because, as you'd expect, with a band named New Pants, it's hard to Google. And I'm not actually that great at Googling things.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yessssss this is exactly it thank you so much

(Also thank you following poster who was just barely too slow)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This thread has never failed me before, and this one shouldn't be hard, but Google's not great at combing tweets.

There's a tweet of Coach McGuirk's speech about orange juice and cereal (from Home Movies) set to Godspeed You! Black Emperor and I can't find it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This feels like a lifetime ago now, but sometime during the Trump administration a natural disaster happened (hurricane?) and he said something like "no destructive power on this Earth can match the determination and resourcefulness of the American people"

and now I can't find the drat quote and it's driving me nuts, someone please help

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

symbolic posted:

Maybe in reference to Hurricane Harvey, or even Hurricane Maria? I'd start there.
Turns out it was from 2017 remarks to the American Trucking Associations in Middletown, PA:

"No destructive force on Earth is more powerful than the strength and resilience of the American people."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I am looking for an (edited?) old comic book cover

where uh, like a dude is married to another woman now and his girlfriend is sad about it

and he's saying something like "sometimes these things just happen and we have no control over them!"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arivia posted:

this sounds like an old lois lane cover with superman married to someone else, probably lana lang
Can confirm it was not Superman - basically like a pulpy horror-or-something comic - but from a similar era artistically.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's an episode of Whose Line is it Anyway? (US) where, after some skit, Drew Carey just shouts "Points! Grab the points!" and all four of the contestants pretend to grab flying objects out of thin air. I can't find it and easily I'm not rewatching the entire series just to track it down so I'm really hoping someone here just randomly know this :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Good luck tracking that one down. Even if someone else remembers the skit unless they happen to have it saved somewhere they're back to where you are and trying to google "whose line is it anyway + points". :smith:
Right? The exact phrasing turns nothing up and if you just try "points" you get the (admittedly, incredible) stuff like the youtube user who watched every episode to count up everyone's total points.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Good luck tracking that one down. Even if someone else remembers the skit unless they happen to have it saved somewhere they're back to where you are and trying to google "whose line is it anyway + points". :smith:
in case you were wondering, it's S02E33 after the first game, about five minutes in, he does indeed say "grab as many points as you can"

source: I found a wordpress site where someone was rewatching every episode and someone in the comments remarked upon it existing

thanks, internet :tipshat:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
a fake comic book cover that looked like an old '50s horror comic, featuring a man saying to a woman for some reason "sometimes these things just happen, and we have no control over them!"

I think he's like, married to another woman and that's how he's explaining it to his wife? the phrase itself is fantastic but I have zero idea where I got it from except this vague half-formed memory

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zathril posted:

Is it this one?

oh my god yes it is

is this a real comic?!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

And that right there is why I collect church lady cookbooks. All those recipes that would otherwise be lost (and it's also fun to see people's different variations on the same type of food). I love how woefully incomplete some of them are, too, as if the people who submitted them just take it for granted that you'll know what size pan to use, or how long to bake something. Like, those are the recipes that were handed down through someone's family and whoever submitted them can do them from memory, so of course they don't need to give full instructions for someone preparing the dish for the first time.
my family cookbook has recipes from my great grandmother with stuff like "a pinch of sugar" annotated by my mother with notes like "to test whether the pie is ready, insert small knife one eighth of an inch from the crust to a depth of half an inch and..." and it is really just adorable how they clash :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The actual origin of this quote:
https://twitter.com/ycsm1n/status/1779940612411990151

Googling it just turns up a bunch of pinterest/tumblr reposts of it. I don't know if it was ever actually said by a human being (obviously it's like #relatable #content enough that maybe someone made it up ten years ago)