Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The first ever Dracula film made in Russia in 1920.

https://lostmediawiki.com/Dracula_(lost_Russian_film;_existence_unconfirmed;_1920)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Evil Vin posted:

I've got two from when I was a kid

1) it's a cartoon, I think an anime about a guy who fights in some sort of robot armor that has some timer of like 28 minutes or something. Anything longer will make him go crazy, it might have happened previously to his brother or another family member. This was on I feel like upn (or whatever wwor was previous to upn) on like a Sunday in '94 or '95 probably on a bkn block.

This sounds like Teknoman.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Animated video, creepy. A man drives a truck into the woods with his dog. Strange things start happening to him. He goes fishing and catches half a fish. His truck breaks down. His dog runs away into the woods. The last scene is him hiding in a stove surrounded by elves (scary elves).

No combination of these words gets me anything remotely close. This must have been from around 2005.

I remember this, it was legitimately frightening. I recall it being on ebaums world or albino black sheep etc. There were a couple of others I think made by the same person.

I'll have a proper look for it tonight when I'm not phone posting.

E: I should read replies first.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I posted this in the Identify A Movie For Me thread last year.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I'm gonna ask for another one.

I saw this when I was a kid, it's an episode of Outer Limits or Tales From The Darkside or another sci-fi horror anthology.

There's these people who are keeping a monster in the dust chute of a hotel and they're feeding guests to it, throwing them down the chute. The monster looks terrible, like a flaccid dick with teeth. I think in the end it's "owners" get fed to it by the plucky young protagonist.

I watched it in the mid 90s and it was on straight after an episode of the Outer Limits where a scientist gets injected with nanomachines that evolve him into the perfect being (eyes start growing on the back of his head, becomes invulnerable etc). I've found this episode since but never came across the Monster in the Chute episode, I was certain it was Outer Limits but none of the episode recaps make sense.

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Breed_(The_Outer_Limits) is the Eyes in the Back of the Head episode

It was suggested that I was looking for the Tales From The Darkside episode A New Lease On Life but this isn't it. Here's a reply that shed some more light on it that I'd forgotten until just now.

SolarFire2 posted:

I can't tell you the source but I remember very clearly that the hotel/apt. complex/building the story was set in was called the Saint George. I only know this because this was on TV when my family was on a road trip staying at a motel in St. George, Utah. I always remembered the coincidence.

E: nevermind the second post, the Saint George lead was back to A New Lease On Life.

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 6, 2019

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
An April fools prank by a UK PlayStation magazine (I think PlayStation Plus, which was also part 'lads mag') in the late '90s for a first person "shooter" called Scum. Supposedly it would use live actors and the player could murder them using a vast array of weapons (hammer, chainsaw, drill, rifle) and torture bound and gagged women. It's 'graphics' were just the editorial staff being killed with really lame MS paint blood edited onto it but enough people believed the game was real to write in requesting the release date.

I'd love it if somebody has a scan of this.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i! posted:

4. An 80s movie where some people are all on an island getting murdered by some dude it turns out that all wronged somehow.

The Burning? - https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0082118/

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

HOLY poo poo. Thank you so much!

Isn't this a Simpsons gag too?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A YouTube playlist from about five years ago that had some cool songs on it. I think it was called "something different" and had Lake of Fire by Nirvana and Cleaning Up My Mess by Blank Realm. I'm don't know if there's any way to check if a video is on a specific playlist.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A band of five or six people (male and female) from the 70s/80s who all wore masks. Their identity has never been revealed. I read the Wikipedia article on them in 2005 and have never been able to find them since. They would work in complete isolation and their land line had no ring tone, they'd organise their manager to call them at a specific time and they'd answer. Maybe that last sentence is something Kraftwerk used to do though.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
An old YouTube video of magician R Paul Wilson (from The Real Hustle) performing the Gypsy Monte card trick. It was taken down from YouTube years ago and I've never found another copy.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Section 9 posted:

I would like to know what the hell was up with hatshoe. It was a website with some scans of handwritten pages like a journal. It was maybe an ARG, or just some weird art thing. It seemed like it came out of nowhere with no purpose, and then disappeared with no fanfare, but everything about it was bizarrely intriguing to me. I really wish it had been "solved" or would just love to know what the creator was going for.

Same but for Neurocam.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

R.L. Stine posted:

you're in luck, the guy who made neurocam did his thesis on it

Wow thanks!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Image of a group of Asian men all sat around a table captioned with something like "well look who finally crawled out of his pit, come play mahjong with your uncles".

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Way back in 2002/2003 I used to read fan scripts of horror or sci fi films, there are two that I remember and would love to see if they were actually good.

One was a Halloween sequel. It was well put together with the twist being that Michael Myers was not actually the killer, it was a journalist in disguise, except later on Michael actually turns up and murders everyone.

The second was a sequel to Return of the Jedi that I think I downloaded from Kazaa or Lime Wire. I've forgotten most of the details but it has a cliffhanger ending where Luke, Leia and Han are all inside an asteroid with the revived Sith cult hurtling towards a sun.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A website that I'm sure I was linked to from these forums. It has chat logs of a conversation between some dweeb guy who keeps posting some type of emoji after everything he says and a girl he likes.

I can't actually remember anything else, just the guy posting something like this (●´ω`●) all the time.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Telemaze posted:

Can't link rn but Google "Denko saga"

Ah that's the good stuff, thank you.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
One of those bingo card memes, for pseudo intellectuals. One of the squares was "reads Wikipedia articles"

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The first two seasons of British 1960s spy TV show The Avengers to stream.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Are you in the US?
Season 1-3 are on Amazon Prime Video (paid separately, not with basic subscription)
(Other countries may vary but I'll find it for you... For Amazon UK, for example, it's Seasons 1,4,5,6 available currently)

I'm in the UK. It's season 2 I'm after specifically. I'm sure there must be old tapes out there somewhere so it's probably not completely lost.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

uvar posted:

http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.com/2013/10/monster-monster.html has pictures of the Monster edition but there's nothing matching the image descriptions. The knight fighting the worm on page 10 is pretty hardcore though.

Edit: this is not Mysteries of the Unknown, that's a different series! My mistake.

Goddamn this brought back memories, thanks.

I had this as a kid as well as two others. One was a similar book of monsters where the depiction of Scylla was something terrifying, like the scary face from the Fright Night poster except dozens of them attached to one body. The second was a book on paranormal which had pages on ESP, Pyramid power and a chilling illustration of mother Shipton.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Not really a white whale but this thread has been an awesome place to find lost internet stuff. I remember this story from a long time ago but I can't pinpoint a year, I'd guess roughly in the late '00s.

A musician in a metal band thought he was being spied on and thought his band mates were stealing his DNA. Then he mysteriously died a year later, possibly by suicide.

He thought his band members were government spies or something and they were plotting to kill him or set him up for being a paedophile and they stole his sock that he had used to clean up his own semen. He was possibly schizophrenic and put a massive rant on a MySpace blog or perhaps YouTube videos. A year later he had a suspicious death. He was possibly a guitarist for this band.

I'm sorry this is so vague and possibly inaccurate, it literally just popped into my head.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Nevermind, I found it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

well what band was it

After The Burial

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Martyrs crosses a few different genres. Revenge flick, torture film, small elements of J-horror and finally existential nightmare. It's an amazing and clever film everybody should watch but I absolutely do not want to see it ever again.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A YouTube video titled "a Dragon visits the Earth' or some such. Handheld footage of what looks like a Chinese Dragon, really far away "climbing" into the sky. It's less than a minute long and probably shot on a pre smartphone phone camera.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Telemaze posted:

I swear I saw this too back in the day, but I only vaguely remember. Was it the first clip in this video? https://youtu.be/2sJNoW1ejLY

Thanks! It was the second clip! Apparently filmed in Tibet.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I guess this is the correct thread.

My friend found this toy and wants to know what kids show it's from.

E: it's Battle Star Galactica

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 4, 2021

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
In the late '90s, Computer and Videogames Magazine (CVG) used to have a section in the middle of the mag which was made from cheaper, yellow paper. I think you were supposed to pull it out and separate it from the rest of the magazine. It had cheat codes for the games at the time but what I mostly remember was the mascot being a badly drawn psycho looking dog called "Hunter", who might have also answered reader's questions. I'd love to see some scans of these pages again.

While we're on the subject, PlayStation Plus magazine (basically a 'lads mag' featuring lots of half naked women as well as PlayStation reviews, news, etc) once ran an April Fools article about an upcoming game called 'Scum'. It had very poor graphics and was cashing in on the backlash against violent videogames at the time (this might have been around the time GTA3 was released but possibly earlier). Scum was a first person shooter where the player could wander around the neighbourhood committing murders with hammers and nail guns.

The only mention of this prank I can find online is from ten years ago in a tabloid watch comment - http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/2010/07/mock-star-game.html?m=1

quote:

This reminds me of an April Fool's joke from about ten years ago. In its April issue, PlayStation Plus magazine ran a preview of a fake ultra-violent game called Scum, in which players were rewarded for viciously slaughtering innocent people. This was picked up by the Star, who ran the typical 'fury' and 'outrage' story.

Given that this fictitious game was entirely made up by PlayStation Plus, it was clear that all of the images used by the Star had been lifted directly from the magazine without permission. The Star even got a couple of rent-a-quote MPs to express their dismay. Of course, had the reporter bothered to call the phone number featured on the 'advert' for the game before running the story (conveniently located right next to the preview), they would've reached the magazine's office and informed that they'd fallen for a prank.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Oh my goodness, thank you.

E: here's the dog

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A meme I saw in 2015/2016. A group of middle aged Asian men sat at a table looking into the camera. It's captioned something like "well look who finally dragged himself out of his pit. Come play Mahjong with your uncles".

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Funkdreamer posted:

When I was 3 or 4 years old, my parents woke me up one night to watch the Frosty the Snowman cartoon.

They sat me down in front of the TV and there was some show on that was just ending. A person was driving a car and another car drove up alongside it with extendable kneecappers hidden in the wheels. They drilled through the first car's tires, causing it to fly into a ditch and explode. It was vaguely alarming to me at the time because was this a common occurence on the road? Was this something to be concerned about on my way to daycare?

Anyway, it might have been the A-Team or Knight Rider or something like that. Probably around 1986-87.

This could be a James Bond film or British TV show, The Avengers. I'm certain I've seen this trope used in some kind of British spy genre. Maybe Danger Man or The Saint?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Could it be UFO by Blonde Redhead?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

shelley posted:

It looks like she deleted her blog a few years back, but there’s an archived version here.

This brings back so many memories.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Can anybody help ID this book I saw on TV? Apologies for the low quality picture. It looks like it might say "The New SOMETHING SOMETHING".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Thrill of the chase primarily. I guess I find it interesting finding out what characters are reading.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That was a fun part of the thread

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks, I'll try that thread.

The source is Season 1, episode 8 of House of Cards. Timestamp is 21:20. Ben Daniels character is having a phone conversation with Robin Wright and he's drinking a beer on the couch. The book is open on the couch next to him, and he stands up and walks away. There's no closer shot of the book than this.

My original picture was a phone pic of my laptop so apologies again for the quality. Here's a slightly better picture taken from a HiDef TV.

The title looks like it says The New Something Something. Daniels character is a photographer living in New York so I thought it might be something photography or NY related. The cover looks more orange in this version than the original yellow.

I thought for a second it might have been The New York Trilogy (a book I already own) but Google doesn't show me any editions having that same cover.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Scarodactyl posted:

Ok, I was annoyed at first but responding to requests for a higher quality image by taking a phone photo of a higher res screen is pretty great, well done.

I tried man, I tried.

Maybe this'll help, courtesy of the book thread guys.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Looks like The New XXXX Terror to me

e: ok that pastebin only had The New Complete Terrorist, whish isn't it

But it could be The New Bull Terrier?

Having said that, the cover looks nothing alike, so unless there was a different edition that probably isn't it

Do they sometimes use prop books that don't exist or have real titles, to avoid inadvertant placement, or is that just for brands?

It's possible but it's not like the book receives any significant time on screen, it's less than five seconds and he's not even holding it. So I doubt they'd go through the effort for this particular scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Awesome, thanks guys.