Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquamarie
Jul 22, 2004

do not swim without knowing jeez
When I was a kid, my mom had a book that I remember reading one summer. it was a compilation of dark stories, not horror exactly, just with seams of betrayal and murder and stuff like that. I have tried to figure out the name of this book for years but I have nothing to go on except for dim recollections of three of the stories that were in the book.

One, that I believe was the first story in the book, told the story of a young girl brought to her headmistress's office at the boarding school she attended. She was accused of drawing some graffiti on the wall of one of the classrooms that showed the headmistress herself and one of the teachers going at it. The term "in loco parentis" was used often in the story. At the end of the story, the headmistress examines the students hands to find that while they're covered in paint, it isn't the color that the graffiti was painted in. She's dismissed and the student returns back to her dorm room, where she goes to wash her hands, revealing that she has used a different color paint to hide the stains of the incriminating color already on her hands.

The other story that I remember, is an incredibly, incredibly English story of a woman who has a very handsome baby, who she has named some ridiculous thing like Schubert or Pubert or whatever. She enters him in contests in pageants and he appears in commercials and he is given some title like "England's most beautiful baby" or something like that. She had some weird things going on with her mentally but I do not remember the specifics, only her having a confrontation with him when he's grown up. I remember the tone of the story more clearly than the others, but I cannot remember any details other than that.

The final story that I remember, involved two identical twin sisters, one who was more outgoing and popular, and the other who was mousier and resentful. The popular twin conspired with her boyfriend to arrange the death of the mousy one, but it backfired and the mousy ended up finding out about the whole plot and assumed her sister's identity. I remember that the perfume Cinnabar played a significant part in some part of the story.

Seriously, if any of you guys can identify at least one of these stories so that I can at least read it again, I will be so impressed. I have searched extensively for any trace of the book or any of these stories and I haven't been able to figure anything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquamarie
Jul 22, 2004

do not swim without knowing jeez

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Can you give us an approximation of the year you read it? That'll help whittle away anything published after that.

Also, probably a stupid question, but have you asked The Book Barn? They've got a dedicated "identify this book/story for me" thread stickied there. If someone can nail down one of the stories, it might lead you to finding the whole book.

I probably read it when I was 14 or so, so around 1998. And thanks for the tip! I'll try there too.