Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The AFC South Division Champion of 2019 will be...
This poll is closed.
Houtson 29 31.18%
Indianapolis 25 26.88%
Jacksonville 22 23.66%
Tennessee 17 18.28%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
can't waste talent if you don't have any, that's the Jaguars credo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

JT Jag posted:

can't waste talent if you don't have any, that's the Jaguars credo

RIP Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Meant to post this here instead of in the BOB is a POS thread

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1258779377053114370

lol

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

There is a lot to dissect here

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Peyton taking that job.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intruder posted:

Meant to post this here instead of in the BOB is a POS thread

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1258779377053114370

lol

I've heard of a hair lip before but god drat.

In other news, Jags wrapped up the AFC South by signing Mike Glennon.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Watching some free gamepass, the chargers offense was bad, the colts gonna be bad.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Watching some free gamepass, the chargers offense was bad, the colts gonna be bad.

The Charger's OL was garbage, and then for some reason when Melvin Gordon came back, they decided it was great to try to make him get ALL the touches.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Rivers will be fine. At the very least he'll unleash the dragon which Brissett would rarely do. But the OL will be the big difference.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Touchdown Henry!!!

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Philip rivers is bad lol

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm not sure a near-retirement Phillip Rivers is gonna be that much of an improvement over Jacoby Brissett, if any at all.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Jacoby was good before the injury then he played hurt and the fan base turned on him for some reason. Hopefully rivers leads to colts to a 5 win season

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Jacoby was pretty trash last year even before the injury. He’s not a starter in the NFL

Not sure Rivers will be great, but I have no doubt he will be more entertaining at the very least. Watching Jacoby was so loving boring.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah, Jacoby looked pretty good early in the year because he was being massively protected by Reich's playcalling. The exciting offense we had with Luck the previous year? Gone, in favor of a run-based attack where all Jacoby really had to do was take care of the ball.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, Jacoby looked pretty good early in the year because he was being massively protected by Reich's playcalling. The exciting offense we had with Luck the previous year? Gone, in favor of a run-based attack where all Jacoby really had to do was take care of the ball.

It took teams a few weeks of film to realize, hey all we have to do is cover 7 yards deep.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Unless you're playing the Texans, where BOB will stay in his base defense all game long and also TY will find a way to torch them for 150+ yards even if Curtis Painter is behind center

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

Unless you're playing the Texans, where BOB will stay in his base defense all game long and also TY will find a way to torch them for 150+ yards even if Dan Orlovsky is behind center

FTFY.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah your offense is going to be different when you don't have a super star qb lol

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brissett was terrified to throw anything downfield and held the ball forever. I don't think Rivers will have that problem. Even if he throws tons of INTs I'll take that over last year.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It’s completely hosed up that the jags have more coherent front office strategies than the colts and Texans right now but I guess that’s just The world we live in!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What did the Colts do wrong?

Rivers should be fine with an actual line

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Thinking about pacman jones

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

What did the Colts do wrong?

Rivers should be fine with an actual line

They keep getting value in the draft and are getting loads of value from players over performing rookie deals.

You see, this is unlike the Jags who drafted a RB 4th overall and whom has 600 more yards and 3 less TDs than a 4th round pick in the same draft.

Clearly, the Jags are the cream of the AFC South crop with their amazing executive leadership. The Colts should try to run their best players out of town, and then Kalen Irsay can get into a Twitter fight with them. It's the only way to be a paragon of success like the Jags.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 21, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's May 21 and I still can't believe the Texans traded DeAndre Hopkins for a second round pick and a bad contract

loving lol

EvilBeard posted:

They keep getting value in the draft and are getting loads of value from players over performing rookie deals.

You see, this is unlike the Jags who drafted a RB 4th overall and whom has 600 more yards and 3 less TDs than a 4th round pick in the same draft.

Clearly, the Jags are the cream of the AFC South crop with their amazing executive leadership. The Colts should try to run their best players out of town, and then Kalen Irsay can get into a Twitter fight with them. It's the only way to be a paragon of success like the Jags.

The Jags pioneered giving a massive contract to bad backup QBs who had a string of good starts

Anyway it's the Colts division again, at least for a season. Assuming a season happens

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm not sleeping on the Titans. I feel like we didn't really address many of our needs (WR, Safety, DE), but maybe Rivers really is a big enough improvement over Brisket that we flip our wins and losses.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shadow225 posted:

I'm not sleeping on the Titans. I feel like we didn't really address many of our needs (WR, Safety, DE), but maybe Rivers really is a big enough improvement over Brisket that we flip our wins and losses.

We drafted a WR with essentially a late 1st round pick, and drafted another safety they like. As far as DE, I think they're interest to see if Turay can keep improve like he was last year before he destroyed his leg late against the Chiefs. The ability of Buckner should draw some attention away from the DEs.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 22, 2020

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't put much stock into rookies, especially WR, to contribute right away.

Which is fine, except we are for some reason in win now mode. If we're going to give Rivers a one year deal and convince Costanzo not to retire, we probably should have done something more immediate.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The colts should have to prove they can make it through a season without their team dying before being given the off-season divisional crown

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Colts are built to win now because some rookie contracts will be up soon like Leonard and Nelson. You know they're gonna pay them so other guys will have to go and younger players will need to step into big roles.

But that said, because they have that solid core of young guys, they should have a longer window as well.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sure, I guess my concern is that if you are going win now, address your biggest needs with immediate impact. We got a QB (granted on a one year deal), so good there. Add some WRs other than an aging TY, a 2nd year player who was injured, and a rookie. It's like half win now, half stocking up on new players. I'm okay with either. I prefer the latter, but if you do either go full force.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
BOB is burning down the Texans, the Jags are the Jags, and the Titans are going 9-7. If the Colts were going to make their move, now's as good a time as any.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

Sure, I guess my concern is that if you are going win now, address your biggest needs with immediate impact. We got a QB (granted on a one year deal), so good there. Add some WRs other than an aging TY, a 2nd year player who was injured, and a rookie. It's like half win now, half stocking up on new players. I'm okay with either. I prefer the latter, but if you do either go full force.

I think the whole "WRs need time to develop" thing has been proven to not be as true as it once was. Pittman has the skill to come in and contribute right away. Plus all the signs are that the Colts are going to go really run heavy this year, and who else would be available for them to get? I think they'll lean heavily on the run game and gamble that Rivers can elevate the WRs and they'll contribute when called on. They spent a lot on Buckner and I think that's a better way to go than spending money on a 2 or 3 WR.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Holy poo poo just LOL at the Jags' front office being better than anyone at anything.

I posted a list of players somewhere up thread pointing out all the future hall of famers they've passed on over the years next to the washouts they actually did draft and it's loving astonishing the talent they've passed on. poo poo, QB's alone include Desean Watson, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr and Dak Prescott.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
including Dak, Tyrod Taylor and Russell on that list as a slam against the Jags isn't really fair but yeah overall they are very bad at drafting

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

including Dak, Tyrod Taylor and Russell on that list as a slam against the Jags isn't really fair but yeah overall they are very bad at drafting

I'll give you the first two, ok, but you're gonna say the Jags would't have been better off with Russell Wilson? How is that not fair? I'd take any of those guys over what we've had under center the last 15 or 20 years.

They drafted in the top 5 for something like a decade and the guys I listed that they passed on were JUST the QB's.

Plus my post was responding to a dude who said the Colts drafted more lovely than Jacksonville. No one has drafted worse than JAX over the last 10 or 15 years and done less with more chances at top talent.

Quoting myself here, and even removing the Qb's they passed on.

quote:

They've passed on Nick Chubb, Amari Cooper, Todd Gurley, Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Aaron Donald, Lane Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, Luke Kuechley, Fletcher Cox, JJ Watt, Mark Ingram, Jason Pierre Paul, Zach Ertz, Zack Martin, Laremy Tunsil, and Dez Bryant in this decade alone - drafting in the top 10 every year but one and SIX TIMES in the TOP FIVE. You'd think they'd get a star or 2 through sheer luck

And that's just me doing a cursory scan of drafts over the last 10 years or so and excluding the guys they DID take instead. Even the good players they managed to grab want to leave or have left already since this entire city is a dumpster fire and no one wants to play for this team or live here. No one in this division has done less with more valuable picks than this poo poo franchise so cry me a river for the colts is all I'm saying.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll give you the first two, ok, but you're gonna say the Jags would't have been better off with Russell Wilson? How is that not fair? I'd take any of those guys over what we've had under center the last 15 or 20 years.

Because he was a 3rd round pick thats why

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Metapod posted:

Because he was a 3rd round pick thats why

To my mind that only makes their judgement even worse.

I wanted this garbage team to take a flyer on Kaepernick 3 or 4 years ago. Not just because he's good but just to watch this flag sucking redneck town who STANDS FOR THE FLAG!!! lose their collective god damned minds and put this horrible city on the map for any reason at all. Would at least have been entertaining watching him succeed and making this dumb city ultimately decide what they care more about : football or their warped sens of patriotism.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 24, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Everyone in the NFL let it happened cant fault the jags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Might as well get mad about passing on Brady too

Or Romo