Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Every non-Patriots fan please give your wildly optimistic team takes here on the first page so we can laugh at them come January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mitch Morse just had his fourth concussion so I might actually rather be in the Jets' shoes at center, somehow.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Why does Adam Gase continue to look weirder every time I see him?

https://twitter.com/snyjets/status/1157314361423290370?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

What is the Bills best saying about Allen this TC?

They're working on his short game!

quote:

When I opened up my notebook after practice here’s a few of the scribbles:

- Allen overthrows on short slant to receiver John Brown in red zone.

- Allen rolls to his right and fires over the head of receiver David Sills.

- Allen over the middle to Zay in end zone - bad throw over his head.

- Allen tipped at the line by EDGE Shaq Lawson, intercepted by linebacker Matt Milano.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1159227535592439809/photo/1

Kind of annoying that I have to like the Dolphins now.... At least several Dolphin players.

Their players come and go, their dog rear end owner is forever.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

OH HELL YEAH GIVE ME THAT PRESEASON

https://twitter.com/LastWordOnNFL/status/1027699795836723201?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I only caught intermittent plays from a really lovely stream on a bad connection while riding the train, but I saw two big overthrows and a horrible pass into the dirt.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It's remarkable that Maccagnan let Myers and Roberts walk.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Jets had gently caress off cap space and couldn't find an extra three or four million to keep the two most important players from their best unit.

Ask Matt Nagy how easy it is to find a dependable kicker!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Myers was fine in Jacksonville and I never implied he'd stay at 90%.

There's a middle class of kickers that most NFL teams have and they're largely interchangeable from one another, but there's always like two or three teams each year that have their season torpedoed because they don't have anyone good at the position. The Jets are put themselves at risk at becoming one of those teams over like two million dollars worth of unused cap space.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I would rather make a trade where you give up too much than basically destroy the season before it starts....

The season should be all about developing Darnold anyway. The Jets are missing too many pieces to make a serious run.

If you're going to overpay for a veteran, make it a lineman.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'm in no way convinced that the Jets are any worse than the Colts, who they beat last year, or the Steelers.... And I said if they had a chance to win 10 games, not make the super bowl.

I'll bite. The Jets are clearly worse than the Colts and the Steelers.

Their blue chip players are at the most fungible positions. They have no depth. As units, their secondary, linebacking corps, and offensive line are well below average. Their receivers are good, not great. Darnold's rookie season was middling. They had four wins last year. Adam Gase is their coach.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Well yeah I don't think saying Buffalo is the better team is really that controversial.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Getting pretty excited to post "what a bullshit way to try to win in the NFL in 2019" after every rushing TD this year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

This might all be true but what mcmagic said shouldn't be all that controversial unless you're just looking to continuously troll him like Ehud.

Bell, Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, and Herndon is an above average skill position lineup in the NFL. The depth sucks but the starters are quality.

I'd say they have "above average" upside if Anderson and Herndon can put together seasons they haven't yet, but there are probably at least 16 other collections I'd prefer over the Jets'.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

Obviously it mostly depends on Darnold, but I'd say after that everything will hinge on the backfield. If Bell is still the same/a similar guy and if Montgomery can be as useful as he's looked in camp, it will really open up things for the rest of the offense. Crowder staying healthy will be big too. If everything breaks right, I think their peak is a top 10 offense (9 or 10 though), with top half of the league a more realistic scenario (losing Herndon for 4 games is part of that).

I'm high on Anderson and Herndon and agree low top 10 is a plausible best case for the Jets offense.

I still doubt they get there because, in order, 1. their line sucks, 2. Adam Gase is their coach, 3. Darnold is still only a second-year quarterback.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Nothing Gase did was as laughably awful as starting Nathan Peterman.

Coaxing Jay Cutler out of the booth was a QB whisperer masterstroke.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Josh Allen has a better winning percentage than Sam Darnold which if IIRC is a measure we can use to *objectively* prove one football person is better than the other.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Just slide that 2020 sixth-round pick into the lineup.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Who was on the first team then? Cashman?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

As expected, Cole Beasley acts as the perfect complement to Josh Allen's skillset.

https://twitter.com/kevincolepff/status/1162509067899719680?s=21

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah the Bills should just cut Shady already.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

There isn't really anything impressive there from Allen.

Look if you guys can post Darnold incompletions as highlights ITT, at least indulge us in the "Allen goes whole preseason quarter without airmailing a short route".

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Fitzpatrick is valuable as a backup quarterback and the Dolphins still need someone competent under center in the likely event that their line gets Rosen killed.

I know they're tanking but it'd be impossible to evaluate other positions when they're forfeiting every game by starting whoever the gently caress Jake Rudock is.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Welp better hope Darnold's 57% qualifies as a "professional rate" then.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Darnold played in the PAC with five star recruits at every skill position and competent coaching. He’s certainly a more accurate passer but put him on Wyoming with future insurance salesmen as his weapons and coaches and see what happens to his numbers

Or, like, Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

I remember when we used to argue who would be the best franchise QB: Henne or Sanchez

This is different, this time we're talking about a guy with a cannon arm versus a pro-ready guy from USC.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This thread would be so much better if it were only three pages long and all we did was post banal training camp reports of our team's' third-string tight ends.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What's the more iconic lowlight: the broken jaw or the hospitality tent?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/yahoosportsnfl/status/1163920763520344064?s=21

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't. I want a free ride to the division title every year for the next two decades a la the Patriots.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

*extremely preseason-ly* The Bills would be a playoff team if they started Matt Barkley.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1165273063598039041?s=21

He’s probably safe, but why are all these teams putting in cold calls for Tunsil in the first place? Things that make you think...

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I imagine the Bills fans who were laughing at the Jets for possibly trading a high pick for a vet to win now would have the same reaction if the Bills traded for Clowney?

The Jets have more holes.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

You are such a loving homer lol

They do. I don't think that's a homer statement.

The Maccagnan era was full of misses and they gave up a ton draft capital to get Darnold.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Not that Mario Williams was bad for the Bills really, but something about acquiring another slightly underwhelming #1 overall pIck pass rusher from Houston would feel a bit foreboding.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He's worth a first if you are able to extend him simultaneously. I don't know if that's a possibility right now.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh lol the Pats released Maurice Harris.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm not certain that Buffalo actually does have serious interest in Clowney. No one reputable has linked them AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

No one in the organization has any stake in Polite's success and Gase doesn't strike me as a particularly patient head coach.

It'd still be a shock to see him cut, but stranger things have happened.