Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

BREAKING NEWS: I've just been informed by my inside sources in the White House that President Donald Trump is set to announce in a press conference Monday afternoon that he will be nominating two-time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to fill the vacancy in the Supreme Court created by the death of former justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

BREAKING NEWS: I've just been informed by my inside sources in the White House that President Donald Trump is set to announce in a press conference Monday afternoon that he will be nominating two-time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to fill the vacancy in the Supreme Court created by the death of former justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

finally a win for the fellas

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Puppy Bowl asked me who I think our potential losses are this year when I said we looked about 10-6. So I looked at the sched and have them(not saying we will lose ALL of these games!):

Chiefs
Steelers
@Colts(we have never won in Indianapolis)
@Patriots
Titans
@Steelers
Cowboys
@Browns

I think all 8 of those games are potential losses based on how we've played so far and I could see us dropping 6 of them if we don't make improvements. Of course we could also drop games I didn't list here. Tavon Young being done does NOT help things.

If we win half of them and win all the other games we're "Supposed" to win that's 12-4 and good. Obv can't expect 14-2 every year. But if the line continues to look shaky we could drop as many as six of these.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

we're going 19-0 mane

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

One thing I think would help big time to solidify that 12-4 mark is making Dobbins the featured back as soon as we can.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
this is a post

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

c’mon buddy

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

One thing I think would help big time to solidify that 12-4 mark is making Dobbins the featured back as soon as we can.

I can already tell this is the 2020 version of "random thing that Kawalimus gets upset with and spends the whole season complaining about" and I already love it

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

indigi posted:

c’mon buddy

i was gonna mention this but then he conceded we would probably go 12-4 which is honestly all i needed to see from him

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

ravens are definitely not losing to the philip rivers colts either

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Mystic Stylez posted:

I can already tell this is the 2020 version of "random thing that Kawalimus gets upset with and spends the whole season complaining about" and I already love it

its cause i mocked him for saying it in the first game dobbins ever played. the very first one, he was upset he hadnt already been played before the first game in his rookie season

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

indigi posted:

c’mon buddy

Can't write them off yet after a strong showing in their second game, even if against Cincinnati who looks hapless. I could bump them off this list if they get worse. I also generally don't write off divisional games unless a team is REALLY bad. So Cleveland could go off this list but Cincinnati could also get on if they can get their act together.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

chamois posted:

ravens are definitely not losing to the philip rivers colts either

We have never won in Indianapolis and always played like trash there.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

its cause i mocked him for saying it in the first game dobbins ever played. the very first one, he was upset he hadnt already been played before the first game in his rookie season

No it's because Ingram has lost half a step, the line misses Yanda in run blocking, the team doesn't seem to think much of Justice Hill, Edwards seems better more as a supporting back, and teams are doing a good job so far at not letting Lamar run wild all over them. So we need that explosiveness that Dobbins looks like he can bring to compensate for those losses.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

We have never won in Indianapolis and always played like trash there.

this is a much different colts team than we've ever played before

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

chamois posted:

When I say garbage I mean GARBAGE. But now's a great time to do it. I'll just believe it when I see it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

chamois posted:

more importantly it's a much different Ravens team who is going to loving destroy the Colts

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

AndrewP posted:

more importantly it's a much different Ravens team who is going to loving destroy the Colts

hell yeah brother

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Kawalimus posted:

Well, it look like Gus Edwards rubbed-off enough experience from Ingram in the offseason that he can carry the ground load just fine (even against a pretty solid Texans defensive line,) the man got more running yards than anyone (dude does more than single cut)

And they're going to be able to save Ingram for those trick plays you just can't depend on Gus for (those years if expiece really count) ,while still giving him enough carries, ultimately being fresh for the postseason)

I'm not sure whet direction they will take with Dobbins, but cold be more of receiving threat (with Ingram as prefect teacher).

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 21, 2020

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

defaultluser posted:

Well, it look like Gus Edwards rubbed-off enough experience from Ingram in the offseason that he can carry the ground load just fine (even against a pretty solid Texans defensive line,) the man got more running yards than anyone (dude does more than single cut)

And they're going to be able to save Ingram for those trick plys you just can't depend on Gus for (while still splitting carries)

I'm not sure whet direction they will take with Dobbins, but cold be more of receiving threat (with Ingrm as prefect teacher).

He got most of it in the 4th I believe. I think that's a great use for him, like LeRon McClain used to be that late game grinder. We seem to like him as that kind of grinder. Dobbins can be the guy they run around like maniacs trying to catch. Then Edwards can stomp them out after they get gassed!

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

all 3 of their backs are equally good, ingram isnt a longterm dude but theres basically zero reason not to ride him especially for passing downs and rpos and poo poo. he will be gone whenever its cheap to do so, theres no use giving a gently caress about the carries he gets. if dobbins is a great player he should be showing that in the attempts he gets. hes already getting just as many as anyone else as a rookie. demanding week 2 of his rookie year to be the feature back on the team that just had the most successful rushing season of all time is a bit premature

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Dobbins has a higher ceiling than Edwards or Ingram. And can get closer to that ceiling the more we get him involved.

Yes we had a historic rushing attack last season but for the reasons I mentioned in the other post they are unlikely to reach those levels again. Lamar isn't going to run for 1000+ yards this year and neither is Ingram.

I do completely understand that he's a rookie and needs more reps. But to say that he would somehow mess up our historic rushing attack is mistaken.

Look at that play he had where he caught the pass and then got tackled but kind of used his hand to stay up and then got the first. That's the kind of play the old #27 would make.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 21, 2020

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
AJ Green is back. Of course this version of the Bengals could find a way to lose a game with a 180 yard receiver.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

I...didnt say that? or even imply it. its the second week of his rookie season. second one. hes on a team with 3 other good running backs, that has no reason to desperately knee jerk try to "fix" their running game, considering they just had the best one ever.

a different rb wont make the line block any better. if you could play out this season 10 different times and gently caress with the sliders and decide which of the 3 main rbs got most of or even 100% of the carries it would not change anything at all. not a single thing. hes already seeing the field a ton at a position of strength that just had a historic season. the only thing else they could be doing to satisfy you is just randomly smashing their faces into the START ROOKIE NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW button for just...no reason at all? no gain? nothing?

if hes going to develop into something super special theres also a pretty easy argument that you should just let the cheap as hell expendable dudes take as many lumps as you can and just play dobbins on high leverage downs, and wait till the others expire and then let him start absorbing all the carries next year. shortening your supposedly good rb's career just so you can....i dunno what you even think hes going to do? transmute skura into 3-4 marshal yandas via willpower?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

lol at being afraid of phillip rivers in the earth year 2020

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

with all the knee jerk poo poo you always want the ravens to do it really seems like you just want to root for the browns kawalimus. well run teams don't just randomly shoehorn people in for nebulous could possibly be better maybe somehow if i squint right? reasons. a rookie getting a third of his teams offensive snaps is already a lot, let alone on a team with as good an offense as the ravens. the only way any team is going to do what you want is if the rookie shows some unreal ability, which dobbins hasn't, or if the team is absurdly stupid. which the ravens aren't

hes getting a ton of chances, its up to him to actually prove hes somehow worth changing what isn't anywhere near broken. and even if he doesn't hes a rookie? not being a starter as a rookie running back is not some death knell of development.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

I...didnt say that? or even imply it. its the second week of his rookie season. second one. hes on a team with 3 other good running backs, that has no reason to desperately knee jerk try to "fix" their running game, considering they just had the best one ever.

a different rb wont make the line block any better. if you could play out this season 10 different times and gently caress with the sliders and decide which of the 3 main rbs got most of or even 100% of the carries it would not change anything at all. not a single thing. hes already seeing the field a ton at a position of strength that just had a historic season. the only thing else they could be doing to satisfy you is just randomly smashing their faces into the START ROOKIE NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW button for just...no reason at all? no gain? nothing?

if hes going to develop into something super special theres also a pretty easy argument that you should just let the cheap as hell expendable dudes take as many lumps as you can and just play dobbins on high leverage downs, and wait till the others expire and then let him start absorbing all the carries next year. shortening your supposedly good rb's career just so you can....i dunno what you even think hes going to do? transmute skura into 3-4 marshal yandas via willpower?

Well we see it differently. Just because we did historically well last year doesn't mean anything for this year since the conditions have changed.

I look at RBs as something you can't plan on going a long time. I always figure that by their last year they are leaving cause it usually isn't worth signing RBs to big contracts after their rookie deal. So I'm not worried about what he does after that.

If the O-line is worse at blocking we can compensate by using Dobbins to make them think twice about being too aggressive.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

LAST YEAR DOESNT MATTER for week 1 depth chart decisions? what does matter then lol. are we sure lamar should be the qb cause if we use your thought process theres no evidence he should have been week 1

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think you can boil it down to the fact that the Ravens would be 2-0 if they used Dobbins more, and have a more experienced rookie on their hands. the experience that he hasn't gained is lost forever due to the aging process.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the list of running backs who made their lines better is 1 player long

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

the list of running backs who made their lines better is 1 player long

Not make the line better per se but compensate for their ineffectiveness.

Ghost Dog posted:

LAST YEAR DOESNT MATTER for week 1 depth chart decisions? what does matter then lol. are we sure lamar should be the qb cause if we use your thought process theres no evidence he should have been week 1

This all just depends. Also it isn't week 1 anymore. If Ingram came out week 1 and was dominating and looking strong as ever I might still want to see Dobbins but not be too worried about it. Also Lamar is Lamar and Edwards or Ingram are nowhere near his level at their position.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

pop dog getting kawalimus'd into oblivion; must feel like an old blanket

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I agree with kawalimus the titans will beat the ravens

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

imagine looking at the Ravens and thinking that you, a casual rear end fan, could know any more than this coaching staff about their own personnel

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

Not make the line better per se but compensate for their ineffectiveness.

This all just depends. Also it isn't week 1 anymore. If Ingram came out week 1 and was dominating and looking strong as ever I might still want to see Dobbins but not be too worried about it. Also Lamar is Lamar and Edwards or Ingram are nowhere near his level at their position.
explain how he can compensate for their ineffectiveness without making them better? or even just the first part. what are you talking about. what are you basing this on. what what what what what?? this is entirely made up bullshit lmao

you said this in week 1, game 1. quarter one. of his rookie season. you cant hindsight it and even in hindsight dobbins hasnt done anything to warrant any special treatment? if anything the ravens are giving him more chances than his production warrants. but yeah youve been saying this since basically the very first second of the season so no, defend it from then cause thats when you made it up?

i dont really know how to make you understand what a comparison is. it seems like you just fundamentally think decisions should be made not based on available information but based on unavailable information?

sharknado slashfic posted:

pop dog getting kawalimus'd into oblivion; must feel like an old blanket

hes a complete loving idiot but the dumber still is the one who argues with him so i hope you are prepared to read more of what i think about fake ray rice

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cavauro posted:

the experience that he hasn't gained is lost forever due to the aging process.

This is true about a lot of things, I think.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

explain how he can compensate for their ineffectiveness without making them better? or even just the first part. what are you talking about. what are you basing this on. what what what what what?? this is entirely made up bullshit lmao

you said this in week 1, game 1. quarter one. of his rookie season. you cant hindsight it and even in hindsight dobbins hasnt done anything to warrant any special treatment? if anything the ravens are giving him more chances than his production warrants. but yeah youve been saying this since basically the very first second of the season so no, defend it from then cause thats when you made it up?

i dont really know how to make you understand what a comparison is. it seems like you just fundamentally think decisions should be made not based on available information but based on unavailable information?

hes a complete loving idiot but the dumber still is the one who argues with him so i hope you are prepared to read more of what i think about fake ray rice

always friend, always

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Want to sell one J.K. Dobbins, lightly-weathered, only used partially on Sundays

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i like him too but now im going to have to do some things in minecraft just to make sure i win this in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Well, to end my thoughts here I'll just say I remember those years from 2009-2011 when Ray Rice was at his peak and really brought an explosiveness to an offense that needed it. Thats what I see in Dobbins and the sooner we get that going the better. We are going to face offenses like the Chiefs, Steelers, Cowboys and others where we cant just wait for them to beat themselves and then run them over. We will need plays. Thats why im glad we got rid of Hayden Hurst and focus more on the wideouts now. And yes i realize that might have hurt overall blocking slightly.

Edit: I also don't understand the argument that he "hasnt shown anything". How is he supposed to with such limited opportunities? And even still, he scored two tds in week 1 and showed burst, and in week two had a great play to avoid going down and pick up a key first and also a big run toward the end of the game albeit in garbage time. But this is the exact mentality toward offensive players(mainly wr) that Ravens coaches have shown in the past that causes players to underdevelop. They give them little to no opportunity to do anything then use lack of production as an excuse to keep doing the same thing, then when they wash out say well he wasnt any good. Im not saying all these guys are potential hof that weve ruined but give them a serious chance before writing them off.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 21, 2020