Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What... happened to this thread?

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Bananana posted:

What... happened to this thread?

:stare:

Eli Manning fanboys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BiggerBoat posted:

Eli Manning fanboy.

Fixed that for you.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I'm getting talked down to for using the eye test by a guy who needs a scholarly article to tell him draft grades are unreliable

I thought draft grades were dumb and generally wrong. I was curious to see if I was right or wrong. I sought out information that would challenge or confirm my beliefs. If you're afraid of searching out new information that may conflict with your personal beliefs, maybe ask yourself, "why?"

What is interesting is that Draft Grades are based on the "eye test" as it were, and yet you claim that while its obvious that dozens of experts are obviously failing using the "eye test," your opinions are also based on the "eye test."

Doltos posted:

Well since Eli has better regular season stats and threw away way less games in the playoffs and the only reply I got to that was different era I'd say if he could actually watch and bring up tape that shows Troy throwing more powerfully or more accurately than Eli then I'd probably give him a head nod.

Ok, I'm going to try to parse this:

1) Eli has better regular season stats.
2) Eli threw away less games in the playoffs.
3) Troy threw "more powerfully." (Eye test?)
4) Trow threw "more accurately." (Eye test?)

1) Eli has better regular season stats.
- Eli manning finished his career with a regular season record of 117 - 117. A perfectly .500 QB.
- 60.3% completions
- 4.5% TD
- 3% INT
- 7 y/att
- 241 y/g
- 84.1 Rate

- Troy Aikman finished his career with a regular season record of 94-71.
- 61.5% completions
- 3.5% TD
- 3% INT
- 7 y/att
- 199 y/g
- 81.4 Rate

Without adjusting for the decades they played in, they're pretty much even (unless you look at their overall record.)
Adjusting for Era, however, Troy was top 10 in passer rating 6 times in the 1990s.
1991 NFL 86.7 (6)
1992 NFL 89.5 (3)
1993 NFL 99.0 (2)
1994 NFL 84.9 (5)
1995 NFL 93.6 (3)
1998 NFL 88.5 (8)

Eli was only a top 10 passer 1 time in 15 years: 2011 NFL 92.9 (7th.)

Also, Eli led the league in interceptions 3 times (2007, 2010, 2013). He has the 12th most interceptions of All Time.

I think its pretty clear that Troy was the better regular season QB, both by stats, and by record/performance.

2) Eli threw away less games in the playoffs.
In the Playoffs, Eli threw 18 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions. In seasons that NY didn't win a superbowl, he never won a playoff game, and he threw 3 TD and 7 Ints. He played in 12 playoff games over fifteen years, and "threw away" a third of them (4).

In the Playoffs, Troy threw 23 touchdowns, and 17 interceptions. In all of his playoff losses, he threw 8 TD and 10 Ints. He played in 15 playoff games over fifteen years, and "threw away" one fifth of them(3).

The fact is that Troy Aikman "threw away" fewer total playoff games, despite playing in more of them, and did it at a much lower rate than Eli did.

3) Troy threw "more powerfully." (Eye test?)
4) Trow threw "more accurately." (Eye test?)

These are part of the problem. I can tell you things like "Pat Summerall called Troy Aikman the most accurate passer he ever saw." and that dozens of coaches and pundits have called his accuracy generational, and I can tell you that Eli Manning has been called, "Not Accurate, Whatsoever.

I can also tell you that I've watched games and highlights of both Troy Aikman and Eli Manning, and its obvious to me and anyone who watches that Troy is the More accurate passer.

In terms of "powerful", I think there are dozens of QBs widely regarded to be "hard throwers" and Eli and Troy aren't in that category. The Dan Marinos and Brett Favres of the world are known for throwing the ball hard; Jamarcus Russel could sit on the 50 yard line and throw a football 5 yards.

Also, I can also tell you that I've watched games and highlights of both Troy Aikman and Eli Manning, and its obvious to me and anyone who watches that Troy is the More Powerful passer.??

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 1, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Additionally, Troy Aikman was top 10 in Completion percentage 8 times in 10 years (was 2nd four times, and 1st one year). Eli only did it once in 15 years (9th). This also speaks to his insane accuracy as a passer, and Eli's lack thereof.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Doltos is never going to admit he is inflating Eli's place in his rankings because he is a Giants homer. You are kind of wasting your time.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Another thing that doesn't get talked about enough: Dallas was always and forever a Run First Team. If you're going to prop up Eli's counting stats regardless of Era, then its only right to give due credit to Troy for all the plays that had to run through Emmit first. If Troy had thrown every pass that Eli threw, Troy's completion percentage would have translated to 582 more career yards.

Basically 3 full games of additional yardage.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Eli is elite because despite looking like a doughy idiot he still has a ring, and that's the most important thing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Doltos is never going to admit he is inflating Eli's place in his rankings because he is a Giants homer. You are kind of wasting your time.

I'm enjoying myself, so its not a waste.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

I'm enjoying myself, so its not a waste.

Same. I spent 20 minutes last night watching Troy Aikman highlights instead of paying attention to the horrific world around me.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a new study bible! posted:

Eli is elite because despite looking like a doughy idiot he still has 2 rings for beating Tom Brady twice, and that's the most important thing.

FTFY

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Same. I spent 20 minutes last night watching Troy Aikman highlights instead of paying attention to the horrific world around me.

Self harm is never the answer. :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Quiet Feet posted:

Self harm is never the answer. :(

You're right. I should stick to comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUsUoMIHZc

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Wanna hear a fun stat about how QBs "carry" games?

In the entire history of the NFL, only 5 true starting quarterbacks have a .500 or better record when their defense allows at least 21 points.

- Tom Brady
- Otto Graham
- Daryl Lamonica
- Joe Montana

In terms of wins over expectations, all time, in these situations, even though their records are below .500, you have some notable names on that list:

8) Drew Brees
9) Aaron Rodgers
11) Philip Rivers
13) Tony Romo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s obvious aikman was a better qb than #8 all time Eli Manning

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
1. Moon
2. Ryan
3. Wilson
4. Favre
5. McNabb
6. Cutler
7. Elway
8. Young
9. Brees
10. Tarkenton
11. Simms
12. Brady
13. Marino
14. Fouts
15. Starr

this is pretty easy guys, idk

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Where's QB Eagles? List invalid.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Philly fans, to me, are less than human

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

Harsh but fair

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

That's the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

So good I made it the title of the new thread, since all the divisional threads are getting rebooted for the new season.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938876#post507730232