Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Cut Thorson and bring in Cardale Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They're hoping Sudafed will be out for as little as six weeks. Doesn't seem worth it to bring in a new QB with that kinda timetable.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?

NotWearingPants posted:

Clayton Thorson and Donnel Pumphrey are two Eagles picks I did not understand from the moment I watched film of them. They were both guys who I guess put up lots of numbers because they played a lot of games but when you watch video of them you see absolutely nothing special at all. I obviously know nothing relative to the Eagles scouts but in both cases it really makes you wonder what the hell they were seeing.

And I'm usually someone who errs on the side of thinking all Eagles picks will be pro-bowlers.

Pumphrey was the most obvious bad pick. RBs his size do not make it in the nfl

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/bustedcoverage/status/1160882737835905024

The guy at the end who steals his hat and calls him a dumbass is making me "lol"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Are those dogs supposed to be doing something besides looking adorable?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

NotWearingPants posted:

https://twitter.com/bustedcoverage/status/1160882737835905024

The guy at the end who steals his hat and calls him a dumbass is making me "lol"

This really upset me. gently caress those guys.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

saltyslug posted:

Pumphrey was the most obvious bad pick. RBs his size do not make it in the nfl

I think they were hoping he'd magically turn into into Young Darren Sproles.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Selachian posted:

I think they were hoping he'd magically turn into into Young Darren Sproles.

The weirdest thing about that pick wasn't his size, but the fact that now they've got Smallwood, Clement and Pumphrey who are all around the same size and have a very similar skill set. What is the point of that?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

The weirdest thing about that pick wasn't his size, but the fact that now they've got Smallwood, Clement and Pumphrey who are all around the same size and have a very similar skill set. What is the point of that?

Not really on Pumphrey. The Eagles seem to like running backs a little smaller, but the draft profiles of Smallwood, Clement, Miles Sanders, LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook have them all at 5'10"-5'11" and 200-220 pounds. Pumphrey was 5'8" and 176 pounds.

But since Pumphrey is almost certainly gone forever in a few weeks, your question is valid and I guess the point is that the Eagles like to be able rotate RBs like they are all the same guy.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Play posted:

Clement was an undrafted free agent signed after Pumphrey was selected and Smallwood is whatever.

Not that the Pumphrey pick ended up being good in any way

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
My guess is that Pumphrey was helped by the new emphasis on college production in statistical projections. Most of the newer models place a lot of weight on how often and how well you played college ball. Then he tore his hammy in his rookie season.

It wasn't exactly an egregious reach for a 4th-round pick.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
College production in statistical projections suck rear end, at least for WRs and RBs. WR's I did a study on, RB's I didn't, but it doesn't take a genius to look at the NCAA's top rushing list and figure out that most of them never do poo poo in the NFL.

Just the logic behind applying a totally different league with completely different playstyles and levels of competition to the NFL is astoundingly bad, and stupid.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Doltos posted:

College production in statistical projections suck rear end, at least for WRs and RBs. WR's I did a study on, RB's I didn't, but it doesn't take a genius to look at the NCAA's top rushing list and figure out that most of them never do poo poo in the NFL.

Just the logic behind applying a totally different league with completely different playstyles and levels of competition to the NFL is astoundingly bad, and stupid.

I wouldn't call it completely useless, but yeah given all the variables (offensive line strength, play calling, level of competition, usage, opposing defensive line strength, presence of other talented backs on the team, etc. etc.) it is hard to say production matches potential at all. You don't want a complete scrub who did nothing in college but you really do have to look deeper to find someone who will have great success in the NFL.

For RBs I think the eye test is especially valuable, just to get a feel for what the can do, what moves he uses, how he sets up defenders, whether his vision is great, okay, or bad, whether he breaks tackles regularly, whether he can make something out of nothing, etc. Athletic measurements in the combine are worthy to pay attention to as well, and depending on a guy's running style you might want to pay attention to different things. Pumphrey had a decent 40 time but poor size (obviously) and very poor explosion measurements in the broad and vertical jumps. I feel like that shows in his game a bit, he doesn't have a lot of spring in his directional changes

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don't think it's so much the raw numbers that matter with regards to college production. It's just the simple question of "If this guy is so good, why didn't he play more/better in college?" Sometimes its obvious (guy ahead of him was a superstar or injury), but sometimes it suggest problems that don't immediately appear on film. Maybe he's a workout warrior or a bad attitude guy or something.

I think it's well known in NFL circles that the top NCAA rushers usually get there because a team is leaning heavily on them for offensive production. That's why so few Heisman winners go on to great NFL careers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I usually hit on my RB predictions because I simply look at if the RB is a pussy. No joke either. Guys who are hesitant and still get yards are the mine traps of the NFL draft. If they hit the hole hard as gently caress and their feet don't stop churning then I call them safe bets.

Really I eye test all prospects and most NFL players too but since the NFL is stupid and boring outside of the G-Men I pretty much just rely on statistics for the NFL now

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Doltos posted:

Really I eye test all prospects and most NFL players too but since the NFL is stupid and boring outside of the G-Men I pretty much just rely on statistics for the NFL now

I let Howie Roseman handle that poo poo for me and then I just enjoy the games.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I know preseason doesn’t mean anything but how sad will you be if the eagles lose to the jags tonight?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Given that Wentz won’t be playing the entire preseason, not at all? In fact I’d like to be wrong and see Foles ball out!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I know preseason doesn’t mean anything but how sad will you be if the eagles lose to the jags tonight?

I could never hate Nick Foles.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ELO Musk posted:

Given that Wentz won’t be playing the entire preseason, not at all? In fact I’d like to be wrong and see Foles ball out!

Foles is also not playing

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Not at all. I wish Foles the best over there and I'd rather we lose than suffer any more injuries.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh lol nevermind then.

I don't think I'm even going to bother watching any preseason games this year. It seems even more pointless than usual.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Can Foles and Wentz just sit on a couch at one of the end zones and drink beers together?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Hey kids

*turns chair backwards and sits*

Let's talk about the cool, the hip, the inevitable super champions, the Dallas football Cowboys.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

axeil posted:

I don't think I'm even going to bother watching any preseason games this year. It seems even more pointless than usual.

It's basically only worth watching for Dillard and Mailata. They're the only ones getting significant work fighting for meaningful roster spots.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Shinjobi posted:

Hey kids

Let's talk about the cool, the hip, the inevitable super champions, the Dallas football Cowboys.

They shall go 8-8. It is known.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RocktheCaulk posted:

They shall go 8-8. It is known.

I honestly think they have a losing season this year because Dak is going to slide further backwards.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The Cowboys will have one of their "13 wins and a divisional round loss" seasons, they're due for one of those.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Shinjobi posted:

Hey kids

Whoa, a post from the mid-90s! :aaa:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kessler got destroyed and now has hot brain

QB Room: Not great Bob

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

Quiet Feet posted:

Whoa, a post from the mid-90s! :aaa:

:madmax:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

How the hell is Foles the only QB to not end up absolutely broken in philly? You guys using Washington docs?

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

I'll say.

I don't know what a Clayton Thorson is but I'm pretty sure it's a clickhole talking head.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Call me crazy but I feel like Colin Kapernick is a perfect fit for a team that wants to run a lot and do a lot of RPOs and zone reads.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Vengarr posted:

Call me crazy but I feel like Colin Kapernick is a perfect fit for a team that wants to run a lot and do a lot of RPOs and zone reads.

That sounds pretty sane to me.

I understand the desire to keep a developmental guy at #3, but obviously they can place thorson on the practice squad with zero risk of losing him.

Who knows what kind of shape he's in? but the way you find out that is by bringing him in for a workout

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't usually crown rookies this early but if Daniels Jone isn't a first ballot hall of famer ill puke blood all over the floors of canton

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Looking forward to the debate in 2030 about who is more deserving of the GOAT QB title: Brady or Jones.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

davecrazy posted:

Looking forward to the debate in 2030 about who is more deserving of the GOAT QB title: Brady or Jones.

Neither. Jones ends up being incredible, but Gettleman trades him to the Pats for some inexplicable reason and I have to hurt myself again as a Giants fan, so neither.

Eli, no matter what happens this season, no matter what I say or do or scream, you'll always be my GOAT for slaying the dragon not once, but twice.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

NotWearingPants posted:

Cut Thorson and bring in Cardale Jones.

They just brought in Josh McCown out of retirement.

Watch Carson get hurt in week 15 and Josh comes in gets us another ring

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

They just brought in Josh McCown out of retirement.

Watch Carson get hurt in week 15 and Josh comes in gets us another ring

This is the best signing they could have made. A+ vet presence, pretty good QB in a pinch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

all of you chumps are giving up on Clayton Thorson after one preseason game. you fools.