Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Alanis Morissette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
That last picture looks precisely like my 5th grade teacher Mrs. Farenbach. She was pregnant most of the year, and she cried while we read "Where The Red Fern Grows" as a class.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Don't listen to anyone who tells you nothing in "Ironic" is ironic. Even Alanis Morisette.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

All this time I thought her last name was Morrison...

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 31, 2019

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What cartoon character voices did Dave Coulier make while banging her?

A question for the ages.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Going forward please give this Canadian treasure the respect she deserves
Thank you

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
all anus more sex

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jagged Little Pill was the album most sold back to CD resale shops the year it released.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_fg_D1noOY

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Jagged Little Pill was the album most sold back to CD resale shops the year it released.

Well everyone in the world bought it. It was everywhere.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I saw a recent Youtube comment that was like "Pffft, Fiona Apple mops the floor with Alanis" and I was all "Tsk, tsk, no accounting for taste, no accounting for loving taste..." :catbert:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
gently caress dis ho

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
remember when david spade did weekend update and made fun of her "monster box" after she made that naked music video

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Kak posted:

remember when david spade did weekend update and made fun of her "monster box" after she made that naked music video

No

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

oh dope posted:

That last picture looks precisely like my 5th grade teacher Mrs. Farenbach. She was pregnant most of the year, and she cried while we read "Where The Red Fern Grows" as a class.

my teacher cried while reading The Cay

what is it with teachers and crying while reading

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

what is it with teachers and crying while reading

Kids suck and reading sucks

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

gently caress. God drat it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Isn't it ironic?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kak posted:

nope

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

that’s her, op

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
that music video where she sings naked was a massive disappointment to teenage me because I heard it described first then saw it later

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Kak posted:

I remember that!

I miss his segment on Weekend Update. It went downhill after they booted Norm.

Blowmonkey
Jan 9, 2005

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

Rad-daddio posted:

Isn't it ironic?

Inevitable.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
My gay sister was all about her for a time growing up.

I liked her stuff too but man relistening to the bonus track of her singing about trespassing in an ex's house and having breakdowns in there is some :stonk: stuff looking back.

I think only John Davis from Korn was the only other artist I knew of getting painfully raw with their emotions on their album.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Rad-daddio posted:

Isn't it erotic?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Don't listen to anyone who tells you nothing in "Ironic" is ironic. Even Alanis Morisette.

That's what makes it so loving stupid. A song about ironies that arent ironies would be very clever, it itself would be ironic. Instead, there are several ironic things in the song and a bunch of coincidences. She's a loving idiot.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I was an alt rock radio DJ back in the late 90's, and I did everything in my power to not play Alanis' stuff. Not that she's bad, I just got tired of hearing it all the drat time.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJg4rwDkkBA

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Icochet posted:

Well everyone in the world bought it. It was everywhere.

Getting all geeky for a second, he's referencing an old talking point about how gold and platinum status is achieved based on record shipments, and how it's possible for a record label to stuff the channel to hit those marks and then just buy the records back.

Thing is, we've been able to track actual consumer sell-through rates for decades now, and it also really isn't feasible to fake an absolutely massive 16x platinum album. If it indeed had the highest resell rate I reckon it's just because it was just proportional with it being the best selling album that year period.

You probably already knew this but hey :goonsay:

EDIT: And I'm just now realizing that poster was in fact not referencing this at all and was merely talking about people selling the album to use stores. OH WELL!

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 1, 2019

grendelkhan74
Nov 26, 2015

I'M SORRY, JON....I WAS SO HUNGRY
I agree. Best Wesley Willis song ever.
Rock on, London Rock on Chicago
Taco Bell, make a run for the border

https://youtu.be/woQXdsI_i3E

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I saw a recent Youtube comment that was like "Pffft, Fiona Apple mops the floor with Alanis" and I was all "Tsk, tsk, no accounting for taste, no accounting for loving taste..." :catbert:
The Idler Wheel is that good though

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I wish Alanis Morissette and Gordon Downie could hang out and that I could listen to their conversation

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
you kids and your newage hip hop musicians

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I watched "Dogma" without knowing what Alanis Morissette looked like, which made the ending better in my opinion.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cosmik Slop posted:

I watched "Dogma" without knowing what Alanis Morissette looked like, which made the ending better in my opinion.
She was a real good casting choice, celebrity aside

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Little known fact, in Outkast's "Mrs. Jackson" the crying daughter is Alanis Morissette.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

pseudanonymous posted:

That's what makes it so loving stupid. A song about ironies that arent ironies would be very clever, it itself would be ironic. Instead, there are several ironic things in the song and a bunch of coincidences. She's a loving idiot.

Like, no, in a vacuum, rain on your wedding day is not ironic. But it is if it specifically rains because it was your wedding day just to piss you off when normally it doesn't rain on people's wedding days because it's supposed to be a happy occasion.

And this is where you go "WTF are you talking about it, it DOESN'T ever rain just to spite you, that's impossible."

And from there I reply "No poo poo, Sherlock! The song's all about how we perceive life and fate, it's not talking about irony just for its own conceptual sake, why would you ever even make a pop aong about that??"

And that's where you say "Well why don't you just suck my dick then?"

And I'm like "I can't, your mom keeps hogging it!"

And then you're all like... :nyd:

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
Anyone else remember her cover of the Black-Eyed Peas' "My Humps"? I do for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJg4rwDkkBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

'Cause the joke that you laid in the bed
That was me and I'm not gonna fade
As soon as you close your eyes, and you know it
And every time I scratch my nails
Down someone else's back I hope you feel it
Well, can you feel it?