Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
whether you speak english or american we can all agree that there are lots of excellent anglish words, but what do you think is the best non-english word?

champignon is a very good contender in my opinion. it sounds classy, with hints of champagne, and it's very satisfying to roll around your mouth. just try it, you will sound instantly cultured and riviera adjacent. it means 'mushroom' which is even better, since they are lowly, fungal growths and the conflict between the daintiness of the name and their damp nature is delightful.

which non-english words do you think deserve a gold star for excellence even though they haven't had the honour of being officially adopted yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
It's pendejo
(not at you OP)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
That German word for eating as many eggs as you can privately, while claiming to have an egg allergy publicly. And doing both with a semi hard, uncircumcised erection.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Cyka

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
غاز

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
kurwa

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

fremdschämen - second hand embarrassment

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Good, but BLYAT is better

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Gooz in Farsi means loud fart but generally without smell

Choss means an insidious fart that stinks

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
fellatio

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

fartsdump - Norwegian for speed-bump.

The entire way Scandinavian languages use "fart" for speed is just generally pretty good. I saw a danish elevator with a button called "i fart" on it once. Didn't do anything when I pressed it though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Gooz in Farsi means loud fart but generally without smell

Choss means an insidious fart that stinks

:lol: no way

Goddamn I'm learning so much today!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/iranian.com/2004/09/21/farting-in-farsi/amp/

RobattoJesus posted:

fartsdump - Norwegian for speed-bump.

The entire way Scandinavian languages use "fart" for speed is just generally pretty good. I saw a danish elevator with a button called "i fart" on it once. Didn't do anything when I pressed it though.

I would wear out that button because I'm eternally 12

kecske
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
perkele, the ultimate all-purpose utility swear

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkRtsJtWVEU

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Guey.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Perfect new av btw!

Thank you to whom it may concern!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Schadenfreude

There’s a lot of really good German words tbh, German’s a language that manages to sound both jolly and scary, often simultaneously.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
vittusaatana is actually two words but they have amalgamated in the mists of time.

Literal translation = oval office satan

Used when something goes wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

please explain what these words mean so that we might appreciate them more! (and this plea goes out to everyone, let's learn good words together)

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Labes for days posted:

Schadenfreude

There’s a lot of really good German words tbh, German’s a language that manages to sound both jolly and scary, often simultaneously.

i would like to submit that 'ja' is the best of german words

it's got both the brusqueness of 'yes' and the casual nature of 'yeah' - all depending on your inflection. germany really wins in the 'one syllable affirmative word' imo

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I have been hoping for years for a chance to use saudade in conversation.

a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ulex minor posted:

please explain what these words mean so that we might appreciate them more! (and this plea goes out to everyone, let's learn good words together)

Google said is was gas, it was a joke.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Icochet posted:

vittusaatana is actually two words but they have amalgamated in the mists of time.

Literal translation = oval office satan

Used when something goes wrong.

not a very good probation I think - they are just translating to the nearest analogue in the first place and profanity about cunts and cocks and dicks and twats can be interesting

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Krankenwagen

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
Pnurtis

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

ulex minor posted:

it's got both the brusqueness of 'yes' and the casual nature of 'yeah' - all depending on your inflection. germany really wins in the 'one syllable affirmative word' imo

Nein!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Nudnik

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

ulex minor posted:

Ja is pretty formal. Informal there's jo, tja, ge, nöa (sp? It's the weird Saxon one borrowed from Czech). Plus I'm guessing lots more regional ones.

My favourite German word is probably vertrinken which means to spend your money on alcohol. Honourable mention goes to backpfeifengesicht which means a face you want to slap.

People have suggested kurwa, cyka and blyad so far but I think the best Slavic swear is chuj. It means cock but there's just something so forceful about it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Try bringing up Huawei in the company of russkies. Like "hey guys I just got a hu-ya-wei phone"

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

ulex minor posted:

c-word

To whomever is issuing these probes (because it doesn't say on the app), please be aware that the c-word is also very commonly used as a (crude) slang term for "vagina" in the same way "cock" is almost always used as a slang term for "penis", and in this instance is obviously being used without misogynistic inference.

At any rate, my favorite non-english word based entirely on phonetics is "blitzkrieg" (lightning war or lightning battle) because ever since hearing it on the History Channel in the '90s I just thought it sounded rad. For actual meaning, l'esprit de l'escalier (staircase wit) refers to the great comeback or insult you come up with too late after you've already left a negative situation.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Wamdoodle posted:

:lol: no way

Goddamn I'm learning so much today!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/iranian.com/2004/09/21/farting-in-farsi/amp/

I would wear out that button because I'm eternally 12

Lmao this a good one my mom would say to me if I felt sick

“Gooz peech” (e.g. Fart knots)

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

A bunch of mishegas in this thread. The correct answer is mishegas

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Tabarnak

It can be used as a cuss word when you hurt yourself, it can express amazement at something really cool, it can be a noun for a despicable person... Tabarnak can express confusion, something you find funny, someone especially attractive...
Whatever you want to use it for, tabarnak is appropriate.

Tabarnak is blessed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFvgSCzg4E

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

verkakte is awesome. In fact most of Yiddish is pretty great for words

Verklempt

Schwanz

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Puta

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

For actual meaning, l'esprit de l'escalier (staircase wit) refers to the great comeback or insult you come up with too late after you've already left a negative situation.

Oh man there’s a phrase I never knew I needed.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shazbot

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Bhenchod", urdu for sisterfucker.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm also fond of "utepils" which is norwegian for drinking beer outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

grillster posted:

It's pendejo
(not at you OP)

:hmmyes:

But at the OP.

Chella(slang for beer) is a fav of mine and so is Cawama(Slang for a 40oz of beer).