Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean it's kind of a self-own though because the Rick and Morty fanbase is almost comically chud-dominated and that mostly just made R&M fans look like garbage basement dwellers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bony tony posted:

It can be two things

...not in this case, it can't? You can't simultaneously fail at something and succeed at it

If they were trying to make liberal college students look bad, and the general public reaction was instead "man chuds are loving manchildren," they failed and got the literal opposite of what they wanted and continuing to dunk them for it is cool and good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also like

giving toys to children's hospitals is kind of one of the most fundamentally Good Person things i can think of

there are reasons to donate to Child's Play other than a desire to own the libs, such as "the thought of possibly being Literally Santa Claus for a kid with cancer"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress Janet Reno dunked him lmao

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cobalt-60 posted:

The Smash fandom completely baffles me. How do people get so worked up over a button-masher whose only standout characteristics were (a) cool powerups and (b) playing your favorite licensed Nintendo property.

The whole franchise is just a goofier version of Marvel Vs. Capcom by now. What does it matter whose sprite is on the next character?

adults who are hardcore Nintendo fans do not tend to be very stable people, in my experience.

like, i get a lot of poo poo whenever i point out that Nintendo has more or less gone out of their way to cultivate a horrible fandom, but i think you really just need to look at how Smash players behave vs. how Tekken or Street Fighter people behave to see a case in point; even as hosed up as the broader FGC is, you don't see any of the absolutely goddamn buckwild poo poo that Smash players do, and non-Smash events don't tend to need stank bouncers except when specific, well-known players show up (Marn)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I refuse to believe Smash has cornered the smelly gamer market

i'm not entirely sure it's cornered it overall, but it's sure as gently caress the worst out of fighting games as a genre in that regard. i've heard some stories about specific FGC people who are just foul as hell to be around (the aforementioned Marn) but i've never had a horrible stank experience going out to locals to play tekken or guilty gear; meanwhile, whenever i've even been in the same building as a smash tourney, i could smell those fuckers from several rooms away.

pokemon players, as noted, can be just as bad (which only adds more fuel to my suspicion that the problem is Nintendo cultivating this bullshit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cobalt-60 posted:

Maybe it's just the fact that I utterly suck at them, but I've never understood fighting games. It takes a certain type of mind to be pulling off joystick spins and 7-button combos all frame-perfect, remembering a near-chess-level list of moves and counters, all while their fighty mens are punching each other, when I can barely manage a hadouken.

The fact that Smash seems designed to be the perfect casual fighting game, yet its "hardcore" fandom is so...strangely obsessive. Maybe it's balance.

play Tekken

Tekken looks intimidating if you pick certain characters or gently caress around in the move list too much, but there's multiple characters who are just dirt easy to do well with if you understand stuff like whiff punishing (ie: if the other guy tries to hit you and misses, use the recovery time to get a free hit)

my specific advice is pick Paul and learn to love the deathfist, because it does like a third to half a lifebar in damage in one falcon punch, and you can make him look really hilarious in the costume editor (my current Paul is Guy Fieri and I have another who's nearly naked except for a bright pink speedo, and they're wonderful to troll with)