Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Perhaps Brewer would be a better fit?

My guess is Sanchez won’t be a permanent resident of that #5 spot and this start will primarily be to see how he might shake out for next year and what role he’ll play in the bullpen this year.

I mean he just has to out pitch Urquidy and Armenteros. And Cy Sneed I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1157034885418311688

I guess Sanchez is in the rotation for now.

That's a home start for Grienke

But they haven't had time to fix him yet

If they turn Sanchez back into what he was his first three years (do they have magic blister cures?) then a rotation of Verlander/Greinke/McCullers/Sanchez/Whoever is still pretty hot stuff even if Miley and Cole walk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

I mean he just has to out pitch Urquidy and Armenteros. And Cy Sneed I guess.

Intruder posted:

But they haven't had time to fix him yet

If they turn Sanchez back into what he was his first three years (do they have magic blister cures?) then a rotation of Verlander/Greinke/McCullers/Sanchez/Whoever is still pretty hot stuff even if Miley and Cole walk

From Kaplan's article on the trade

quote:

Though pitching coach Brent Strom and the Astros are known for improving pitchers, in part by tweaking their pitch usage, don’t expect anything close to an overhaul of the 35-year-old Greinke. In his case, the message from the team will probably more closely resemble this: “Keep doing what you’ve been doing.”

Sanchez, on the other hand, has a lot of work ahead. The 27-year-old right-hander has electric stuff, and in 2016 he translated it to an All-Star campaign and an ERA title for the Blue Jays. But injuries, mainly a blister issue, and control issues have plagued him in the years since. His 6.07 ERA and 1.69 WHIP this season are both the worst among all qualified major-league starters.

As of Wednesday in the late afternoon, the Astros hadn’t yet decided whether Sanchez would be a starter or a reliever the rest of the regular season. Although given their lack of rotation depth, it seems likely he will make at least some starts. If he pitches decently, he could be a part of their postseason bullpen. Even if Sanchez goes straight to the bullpen upon joining the team, the Astros’ hope is that he will be able to slide into their rotation next season.

On Peacock:

quote:

Acquiring Greinke and Sanchez gives the Astros the option of rehabbing Peacock as a reliever rather than as a starter, meaning a quicker return. Peacock should factor into their postseason bullpen either way, so it would make sense for the team to let him settle into that role, especially since he’s coming off a shoulder issue. He could begin some sort of rehab assignment as soon as this weekend.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
They've been saying Sanchez's blister issues are long done with and he really did look like his old lights out self in his last start, like a switch was flipped for him.

He'll do even better in Houston.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

(do they have magic blister cures?)

steaming_urine_hands.jpeg

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drat flights to Milwaukee are kinda pricey.

Is it easy to fly to O'Hare and just go from CHI to MIL by some cheaper mode of mass transit? Heading to Miller Park with two of my friends in September.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

the popes toes posted:

Greinke's not gonna like that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/dodgerinsider/status/1157035043274891264?s=21
My big noodle loving boy gonna win the Cy Young

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Greinke's not gonna like that

Julia: What was your reaction when you first heard about the trade to Houston?
Greinke: I would have traded for me so I thought it was a good trade.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Sobotka and Minter are gone, Braves should have all the new bullpen guys available tonight.

"AJ Minter optioned to Gwinnett" are among the most beautiful combinations of words in the English language.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

the popes toes posted:

Julia: What was your reaction when you first heard about the trade to Houston?
Greinke: I would have traded for me so I thought it was a good trade.

Is this real? Cause I would believe this being real.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

alpha_destroy posted:

Is this real? Cause I would believe this being real.

when I close my eyes and think "what would Greinke say?" it seems real to me

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GalacticAcid posted:

Is it easy to fly to O'Hare and just go from CHI to MIL by some cheaper mode of mass transit? Heading to Miller Park with two of my friends in September.

It's a couple hour drive through the middle of nowhere between ohare and Milwaukee but it's all interstate so it's an easy drive. Illinois has tolls though, bunch of loving barbarians.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GalacticAcid posted:

You could take Amtrak, but you would need to fly to ORD or MDW, take the El to downtown and go to Union Station to get on the Amtrak. Would make for a long trek. You would also probably have to cab it from the Milwaukee Amtrak station to Miller Park.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently the D-Backs have had discussions with officials from Henderson, NV about a possible relocation, but to be honest this sounds like the basic kind of contact that a team would use to get leverage against the home city for a new stadium.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/08/diamondbacks-have-considered-nevada-relocation.html

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's just over an hour drive to Miller Park from O'Hare, not bad at all. Otherwise like Bird in a Blender said you'd have to hop on the Amtrak which requires heading into the city.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Thank you all kindly :tipshat:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zoux posted:

Pirates/Reds fans: I can't believe that my team's players, blameless in all of this receive unfair suspensions while the other team, a gang of blackguards, gets off easy

Why does a Cardinals fan care so much

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs should have sold.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm not sure you can "fix" Greinke- he's already pretty well fixed in being one of the most detail oriented and thinking man's pitchers out there. Sure, the Astro's probably have some metrics that Greinke didn't have access to before now, but it's not like the man doesn't hone his craft.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

So yesterday Altuve got a hit and when he was on base like fist bumped Santana, Indians 1B. Santana fell for it and then got mad.

Tonight, Altuve got on base again, and tried to fist bump Santana again, but Santana wasn't having any of it and then got mad that Altuve thought he'd fall for it a 2nd time.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Oh, and go look for Bauer's "goodbye" to Cleveland vid.

It's incredibly polished but it's a bit too much about him so I'm not going to link it

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Intruder posted:

(do they have magic blister cures?)

the popes toes posted:

He ain't wrong.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the popes toes posted:

Oh, and go look for Bauer's "goodbye" to Cleveland vid.

It's incredibly polished but it's a bit too much about him so I'm not going to link it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Man. Boston should be ashamed of themselves. How are they behind Tampa?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1157128061290201089
New bullpen pays off already with HAARP weather control powers

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

And just like everyone predicted at the start of the season, Max Fried has Atlanta's first complete game*. He's also second in the NL with 12 wins.

* 6 innings before rain began pouring in the top of the 7th.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

New bullpen pays off already with HAARP weather control powers

Trading for a sudden thunderstorm to serve as the closer was really a genius move.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I kinda wish we didn't know Bauer is such a shithead cause the video was actually kinda nice.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs have not won a series on the road since May.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I kinda wish we didn't know Bauer is such a shithead cause the video was actually kinda nice.

Yeah, I thought it was alright. Dude's a shithead but it just seemed like, I dunno, a goodbye video? Got a chuckle out of him including a Kepler strikeout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx2bu0si5QY

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 2, 2019

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

mcmagic posted:

I dont know anything about Bauer other than accusing the Astros of cheating. Nice to know he sucks generally and not just because he likes to poo poo on my hometown team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

I dont know anything about Bauer other than accusing the Astros of cheating. Nice to know he sucks generally and not just because he likes to poo poo on my hometown team.

He also sicced his followers on a teenage girl on twitter because she's a Bregman fan and replied to one of his tweets with some mild poo poo talk

e: make that early 20s woman. still, he encouraged his followers to harass her

He subtweeted her like 40+ times after she blocked him and then claimed she was obsessed with him and probably had a crush on him because she kept asking him to leave her alone. Pretty cringe worthy

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 2, 2019

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He’s a very odd person.

And not in a cool, unique way. Just off, and off-putting.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

I get that y'all are mad about that, but Baur using grip for one inning to jack his spin rate up to the Astro's pitching staff's level in Houston was aces.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Trevor Bauer still sucks even if he had people make a nice tribute video for him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In addition to those things he’s also a giant chud and has defended the use of Chief Wahoo a whole bunch of times.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs have not won a series on the road since May.

Cubs probably won't win one all August.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i just watched that brawl and it was like 10 minutes of guys yelling HOLD ME BACK and posturing like male birds and no actual fighting

baseball fights are stupid and lame and baseball players are categorically not tough guys, lets stop pretending guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

GalacticAcid posted:

He’s a very odd person.

And not in a cool, unique way. Just off, and off-putting.

He’s an incel who fucks. Almost certainly very, very badly:

quote:

“I have three rules,” Bauer told Sports Illustrated.

1. No feelings

"As soon as I sense you’re developing feelings, I’m going to cut it off, because I’m not interested in a relationship and I’m emotionally unavailable," Bauer said.

2. No public affection

"No social media posts about me while we’re together, because private life stays private," Bauer told Sports Illustrated.

3. You're not the only one

"I sleep with other people. I’m going to continue to sleep with other people. If you’re not O.K. with that, we won’t sleep together, and that’s perfectly fine. We can just be perfectly polite platonic friends.”