Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
big news!
This poll is closed.
spams racist emotes 78 15.92%
what the gently caress are you talking OP?eat poo poo 163 33.27%
spams racist emotes 88 17.96%
goku 161 32.86%
Total: 296 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

seriously though, how much did they pay him? Like, 12 million dollars or something? 50 million? How much does me make from twitch and the associated merch sales that come from his twitch viewers, and how much would he lose going to mixer? I wanna know how much they paid him.

Probably a multi year deal at 8 figures a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Edgar posted:

I pay a sandwich worth of cash a month to lowtax. You know, to play video games, where's my headline?

Hopefully microsoft will pay lowtax a dumptruck of money to move gaming garbage to mixer.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they couldnt get dr disrespect?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wow I better update my diary I keep on videogame streamers

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This is a big nipples story.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Who the gently caress is Ninja?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

Well let's see, his options were a) maintain your independence and freedom from contractual obligations and make millions of dollars a year or b) sign away freedom for a contract you're not allowed to tell anybody about for the next however long, and also make millions of dollars a year

So even if you want to ignore the money because it has seven digits and beyond regardless of which option is chosen, when that's the case your freedom from obligations is the only thing left that matters.

Before: *Plays video game while idiots watch... on twitch*

After: *Plays video game while idiots watch... on mixer*

BUT THE CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS!!! Worth millions?????

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

stevewm posted:

If I remember correctly ICP slangs, I think it's buddy.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Goons are voting for ops #2, but please vote here too.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Thanks to those goons voting my thread #1

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

stevewm posted:

Internet video gamer. He originality had a username incorporating a similar-sounding n-word, but changed it for marketing reasons once he started getting popular

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly the only thing that impresses me about this dude is being able to snag the username Ninja without having to add numbers or write it in 1337 or something.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Honestly the only thing that impresses me about this dude is being able to snag the username Ninja without having to add numbers or write it in 1337 or something.

When you get famous companies will take those usernames from the first person to get it and give it to you. I'm pretty sure Ninja was given his name on all the relevant platforms.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shamino posted:

When you get famous companies will take those usernames from the first person to get it and give it to you. I'm pretty sure Ninja was given his name on all the relevant platforms.

Wow, I kind of just assumed he was an OG and had been streaming from the beginning to snag that name. That's lame as hell if that's how he got it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shamino posted:

Why is this guy famous and no one knows him.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow, I kind of just assumed he was an OG and had been streaming from the beginning to snag that name. That's lame as hell if that's how he got it.

he was a pro halo player before he got famous streaming fortnite so he's had the name for a long time, I don't know if he had it on twitch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read this guy streams like over 12 hours a day but Mixer will let him take more vacations and have more family time. Probably worth ditching Twitch even for lower pay.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

I read this guy streams like over 12 hours a day but Mixer will let him take more vacations and have more family time. Probably worth ditching Twitch even for lower pay.

What?

Nobody makes anyone stream any amount of time unless they signed a voluntary agreement to do so. Twitch isn't standing there yelling at ninja to stream 12 hr or they'll de-partner lmao where did you read this bullshit.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Are we talking about this?

I've got one, it's okay. It's no Cuisinart though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Burt Sexual posted:

Why is this guy famous and no one knows him.

Goons are over the average age of Ninja's target demographic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chomp8645 posted:

What?

Nobody makes anyone stream any amount of time unless they signed a voluntary agreement to do so. Twitch isn't standing there yelling at ninja to stream 12 hr or they'll de-partner lmao where did you read this bullshit.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/1/20750432/mixer-ninja-microsoft-twitch-youtube-streaming-fortnite

Certain streamers can make the move to Mixer and not have to worry about losing a big potential audience for people who just visit Twitch and stumble upon a stream. Blevins is one of them. His subscriber growth on Mixer is already skyrocketing, and his chat is incredibly active — even though he hasn’t started streaming yet. He’s also someone who can secure a major financial deal that allows him to not have to worry about these types of metrics. One of Blevins’ closest friends, fellow streamer Timothy “TimTheTatman” Betar, spoke about Blevins’ move to Mixer during a stream on Twitch today. Betar suggested that Blevins can start to take vacations now and not worry about losing subscribers or money.

It’s been a concern for a while now, and Blevins is likely burned out. He told The New York Times in December 2018 that the longest vacation he ever took was his honeymoon — six days in total — and called it “devastating,” adding that it was “a calculated risk.” He added that even taking a couple of hours to talk to the Times or even just relax on his couch means losing 200–300 subscribers each hour. Prior to that interview, Blevins broke down his intense streaming schedule on the H3H3 podcast.

“The schedule is: 9:30 is when I start in the morning and then I play until 4, so that’s like six, six-and-a-half hours,” Blevins said. “Then I’ll take a nice three- to four-hour break with the wife, the dogs, or family — we have like family nights, too — and then come back on around 7 o’clock central until like 2, 3 in the morning. The minimum is 12 hours a day, and then I’ll sleep for less than six or seven hours.”

It’s not like Blevins can just stop streaming, nor does he want to. His announcement video about moving to Mixer included a message about returning to the good old days of streaming, back before he was Twitch’s number one superstar. What Mixer does give him, however, is a potentially extremely lucrative deal to not have to worry as much. It also gives him less competition on a platform that isn’t as saturated.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

What?

The difference is when you're an independent streamer your income is directly related to the time you put into it. If he decided one day to go down to, say, 2 hours a day, he'd lose a ton of followers, advertisers, and income. This deal basically means he can treat streaming more like a "regular" job.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

is this the guy who's all mike pence about working with women

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

So he's worried that if he stops working as much he won't make as much money? You know who else worries about that? Everyone.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

So he's worried that if he stops working as much he won't make as much money? You know who else worries about that? Everyone.

Tbh it sounds obscenely unstable and having to deal with something as nebulous as fickle hordes of viewers with extremely short attention spans while having to cater to them by nonstop playing videogames you probably don't want to play anymore sounds lovely in its own unique way just like working retail is lovely in a very particular, unique way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well yeah but he's likely making the same money or more working for Microsoft while working less. So it's a win. Probably worth it for Microsoft as well since way more people know this Mixer thing exists now.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

ITT we are now Ninja's high priced attorneys tasked with getting him out of his oppressive Microsoft contract so he can have creative control of his streaming of himself playing videogames.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Tbh it sounds obscenely unstable and having to deal with something as nebulous as fickle hordes of viewers with extremely short attention spans while having to cater to them by nonstop playing videogames you probably don't want to play anymore sounds lovely in its own unique way just like working retail is lovely in a very particular, unique way.

Yeah and all he gets for it is tens of millions of dollars a year, poor guy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yea, but he could literally quit anytime and be set for life (barring any contracts he decided to sign I guess).

Which is quite unlike a retail worker.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Famous personality receives several million dollars as part of publicity deal*

Some dumb gently caress face: "ah yes, this is not unlike the situation of a common retail worker..."

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorGonzo posted:

they couldnt get dr disrespect?

more like dr disrespect my prison roommate

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i wont know for sure until bane weighs in

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Half the people 'watching' mixer just have a tab of it open in the background so they can get influence points in Forza.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

big nipples big life posted:

what do you think of this huge news story gbs?

i dont

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
go ninja go ninja go

NINJA

ninja
rap!

thats one for u 90s kids, enjoy

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This is a terrible thread about someone I've never even heard of, but since you made the poll checkbox I am contractually obliged to like it. As for ninja or whatever I hope they drown in gamer fuel.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
the kind of people who used to complain about what a travesty it is that professional athletes get paid millions of dollars to touch balls and actors get paid millions to say words continue to find new and innovative ways to get mad at other people's success

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the only stream i care about is my red piss

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

the kind of people who used to complain about what a travesty it is that professional athletes get paid millions of dollars to touch balls and actors get paid millions to say words continue to find new and innovative ways to get mad at other people's success

Someone should livestream their posting and become the first person get paid millions to post imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mooey Cow posted:

Someone should livestream their posting and become the first person get paid millions to post imo.

I think it should be Nooner