Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Having read it years ago (and enjoyed it), the memory of the book has reduced in my mind to the South Sea bubble and the weird slang. Particularly the word "qoz" (?) which came from nowhere, meant nothing, but was widespread and then disappeared. It reminds me of the current fervour for "wife guy", which has several mainstream media articles explaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I once read a writers guide that did a lot of reality-checks for fantasy cliches: what armor is really like, you can't ride a horse flat out all day, etc. One of the corrections was about poisons. At least before modern times, poison was very unreliable and of dubious efficacy. Many recipes for poison were dubious, they tasted vile and it was hard to see how the victim could choke down enough to actually kill them. The poison Mackay describes sounds a lot like fantasy poison, which puts the mania in a different light.