Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

And that's Smith's story! I killed my sister and older brother, but Vix was at least an accident.

Are the character endings different depending on your choices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The slides yeah, but the bosses are the same afaik. Though your choices can affect how the fights play out.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Walla posted:

After 3 failed runs I lowered the difficulty to Story Mode and that might be where I keep it since I'm much more interested in the stories and world than the deckbuilding.

Nothing wrong with that! Smith might indeed be harder to get a hang of. He doesn't have as obvious plays as Rook and especially Sal. Potentially he's much stronger. Thankfully this is not one of those games where you have to master it before you start having fun so don't feel obliged to climb the difficulty ladder.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Smith gets incredibly strong with the right card combinations, but he can flame out pretty hard if you try to put a build together and can't quite make it click.

A good starting point is to upgrade his keg to the one that improvises upgraded cards. Try to pick up useful booze card drafts (the rusty one that gives a big chunk of defense is essentially always a good pick), and keep an eye out for cards that let you hit multiple times by expending empty bottles. Those can get pretty nuts once you stack up some power and/or adrenaline.

Don't get too carried away cramming your deck full of attack and utility cards - Smith's real strength is in his staying power and his ability to snowball into an unstoppable juggernaut, so make sure to maintain a decent balance of strong defensive cards. Don't be afraid to delete your bashes and drop kicks once you've drafted a few solid attacks.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 24, 2021

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Smith took a while to click for me - the big break I had was realizing that it feels like his fights scale up hard quickly and the game pushes you into negotiation so I was going into fights with few good resources since his starting battle deck is garbage.

Get into a few more fights early even if someone will dislike you to try to get one or two good attacks and thin your deck by getting destroy on elbow strikes and such. Moxie is also a sleeper power house - you don’t have the card based defense of Sal or the charge defense of Rook so you have to mitigate. His damage also doesn’t come as easily as bleed / charge spending so you need to build some bottle work in and get some consistent attacks early.

His negotiation game is super good though - if you can get a bit of influence generation his diplomacy goes nuts or just lean heavily into hostility if the cards go your way. Smiths hostility style is much less rig / gamble dependent than Rook’s

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smith negotiations are all goons all the time

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah I kept dying by Day 3 because I had no block. It was finally on my last run that I started leaning into Moxie. Also I always end up with large decks full of trash while I figure out what works with what and 35+ card decks just don't do well unless half of it expends or destroys itself.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Smith is weird because of his mechanics. If you're above the curve, you stay near full health while smashing enemies, but if you're weaker than the current enemies, you're on a cycle of taking damage that you can't mitigate in time and die extremely quickly.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The main annoyance with Smith is that his strongest options tend to be unlocked fairly late into his unlockable card packs. It's true of every character but exacerbated on Smith. Destroying and recreating Powder Kegs and Hot Air arguments is by far his strongest negotiation playstyle, and he doesn't get the cards to enable that until several packs in.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Smith's story also seems the most linear of the 3, even more than Sal's. I'm not sure how often I'd be willing to replay his even though I like him as a character.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I played him by far the least, but that might have had more to do with Griftlands fatigue slowly settling in. (Just checked and I have 100 hours on Steam, and I haven't really touched the game much since the first two weeks when I got really engrossed. And that's not counting my time on PS4).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

double post

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Walla posted:

Yeah I kept dying by Day 3 because I had no block. It was finally on my last run that I started leaning into Moxie. Also I always end up with large decks full of trash while I figure out what works with what and 35+ card decks just don't do well unless half of it expends or destroys itself.

Yeah I try to stay in the low twenties of most decks with the exception of replenish cards and items. A thin deck is a healthy deck - tons of cash goes into removing cards. Every card removed makes every other card better because it then comes up more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I need to get better with smith and not try to block all the damage and lean into moxie and alleviate more i suppose