Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Um this game is really good guys!!

Just started my first Smith run after acing my first sal and rook runs. Used only a single respawn when i died in sal's third day.

Great writing, awesome mechanics, very fun to play. My 300 hours in slay the spire certainly help, but the game is different enough that it doesn't feel like sts at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah and the penalty for failing negotiation is a battle or less rewards, while failing a fight is game over. Seems like negotiation is the best way to go most of the time. Had a good laugh about rook's taking names move

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's out of early access today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufl14_Ne5Lg

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

They're seperate, the only links are characters showing up in multiple stories. I haven't played Smiths' finale yet though, but even if that's fully coupled with another char it's only a tiny portion of the game, and I don't believe they'll do that.

it's like playing the different classes in slay the spire I guess!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's also released on all consoles today (switch/ps/xb) so controller usage should be fine!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I picked this game up this morning and immediately lost the next 4 hours to it. Very engrossing. I almost bounced off it after dying several times on the first day with garbage for cards, but once I made it to the second day on Sal's story I began picking up a lot better cards and more interesting options and then I was off.

How does it handle on the Switch? I'm actually considering buying it a second time on Switch so I can play from the couch or in bed.

It's real good on the switch, just bought it as well.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Smith has a huge health pool and sustain if you build him right, with his moxie mechanic.Those cards that deal 2 damage 2 times to you? That's a heal in disguise.
He's the most difficult character to get going imo, but he's insanely strong once you get some cards that combo into each other. He feels a bit like a perma raged Watcher from StS in that regard, deal lots of damage but take a ton as well.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The final boss is always the same for each character, the people who help you and the buffs/difficulty are what change around. All quests are stored in their own lua file which are quite readable and they also contain comments, so if you wanna spoil yourself you can just look at those. I'll do a short write up later for those that are interested!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Griftlands stores a ton of data in lua scripts. They're plainscript and easy to read, even if you don't know poo poo about programming. They're also easily accessible! Go to your Griftlands folder -> find data_scripts.zip -> open or extract.
open folder 'scripts' inside. go to the folder 'content'. The folder 'quests' within contains all encounter, quests, sidejobs, etc.
Seperated out into:
Brawl (for the Brawl mode)
Contracts (the jobs main quest givers give you during the days, like oolo/nadan for Sal, kalandra/fellemo for Rook, etc)
Experiments (left over stuff, not used in game afaik)
Opportunities (the time-limited orange things on the map)
Scenarios (the random encounters you get while traveling)
Sidejobs (the missions you can pick on the map to do that are not given by your handler, Rook has none of these, Sal a ton, Smith a few)
Story (the main story mission, like end of day bosses, first day, final boss, things that happen at your bar/room, etc)

Each folder is split per character, with a few common ones in scenarios and opportunities.

Once you open a characters map you get a list of .lua files. These are plaintext and can be opened in notepad, whatever. You can even edit them, but we'll just look at the content to see how quests work and such. Lets pick a random encounter first because they're the simplest.

As Sal you might run into a wandering chef peddling his wares. You get a random effect from each meal, but you won't know what the effect is until you take it/remember it from previous runs. Lets open the file and find out! The file is named wander_chef.lua, found in Griftlands\data_scripts.zip\scripts\content\quests\scenarios\SAL\.

When you open it the first batch of lines already give you the info you need, here it's opened in notepad++:

Let's break it down.

code:
local battle_defs = require "battle/battle_defs"
local negotiation_defs = require "negotiation/negotiation_defs"

local food_options =
{
    CRAYOTE_CASSEROLE =
    {
        condition = function()
            local player = TheGame:GetGameState():GetPlayerAgent()
            local current_resolve, max_resolve = TheGame:GetGameState():GetCaravan():GetResolve()
            return player:GetAspect("health"):Get() < player:GetAspect("health").max or current_resolve < max_resolve
        end,
        effect = function(cxt)
            ConvoUtil.DoHealthDelta(cxt, 4 )
            ConvoUtil.DoResolveDelta(cxt, 4 )
        end,
    },
Crayote Casserole heals 4 hp and resolve.

code:
    FLEAD_STEW =
    {
        condition = function()
            local current_resolve, max_resolve = TheGame:GetGameState():GetCaravan():GetResolve()
            return current_resolve < max_resolve
        end,
        effect = function(cxt)
            ConvoUtil.DoResolveDelta(cxt, 5 )
        end,
    },
Flead Stew restores 5 resolve.

code:
    SAUTEED_GRUBS =
    {
        condition = function()
            return current_resolve < max_resolve
        end,
        effect = function(cxt)
            ConvoUtil.DoResolveDelta(cxt, 8 )
        end,
    },
Sauteed grubs heals 8 resolve.

code:
    FURRUSK_LIVER_SANDWICH =
    {
        effect = function(cxt)            
            cxt:ForceTakeCards{"well_fed"}
        end,
    },

KEYBONE_SQUARES =
    {
        effect = function(cxt)
            cxt:ForceTakeCards{"hearty"}
        end,
    },

PICKLED_EYES = 
    {
        bad = true,
        effect = function(cxt)
            cxt:ForceTakeCards{"ulcer"}
        end,
    },

SALTED_SNAIL_EGGS = 
    {
        bad = true,
        effect = function( cxt )           
            cxt:ForceTakeCards{"sick"}
        end, 
    },
}

These 4 give you cards: well fed, hearty, ulcer, or sick. Lets look at the next few lines to see what these cards do:

code:
--Card from food effects
Content.AddBattleCard( "well_fed", 
{
    name = "Well Fed",
    anim = "taunt",
    flavour = "''Urp'.'",
    desc = "{HEAL 5}",

rarity = CARD_RARITY.UNIQUE,
    series = CARD_SERIES.GENERAL,

cost = 0,
    target_type = TARGET_TYPE.SELF,

flags = battle_defs.CARD_FLAGS.STATUS | battle_defs.CARD_FLAGS.CONSUME,

OnPostResolve = function( self, battle, attack)
        self.owner:HealHealth( 5, self )
    end,
})
Well fed is a battle card as mentioned in the code, and it heals you by 5. It also destroys it after a use (consume).

code:
Content.AddNegotiationCard("hearty", 
{
    name = "Hearty",
    desc = "Restore 5 resolve.",
    flavour = "'A nice and juicy Vroc roast! Just like Mom used to make!'",

cost = 0,
    flags = negotiation_defs.CARD_FLAGS.STATUS | negotiation_defs.CARD_FLAGS.CONSUME,

OnPostResolve = function( self, minigame )
        self.negotiator:ModifyResolve(5, self)
    end,
})
Well fed is a negotiation card as mentioned in the code, and it heals your resolveby 5. It also destroys it after a use (consume).

What about the other 2? Ulcer and Sick are not in this file. That's because they're re-used status effect cards from drinking! In the file content\negotiation\basic_negotiation.lua these cards are defined:
code:
    ulcer =
    {
        name = "Ulcer",
        cost = 2,
        flavour = "'I forgot my pills, this is going to be awful.'",
        quip = "sick_card",
        remove_on_rest = true,

flags = CARD_FLAGS.STATUS | CARD_FLAGS.CONSUME | CARD_FLAGS.SLEEP_IT_OFF,

},
    sick =
    {
        name = "Sick",
        cost = 1,

desc = "Lose 2 resolve.",
        flavour = "'Hesh, you look like garbage.'",
        remove_on_rest = true,

OnPostResolve = function( self, minigame )
            self.negotiator:ModifyResolve(-2)
        end,

flags = CARD_FLAGS.STATUS | CARD_FLAGS.EXPEND | CARD_FLAGS.SLEEP_IT_OFF,

},

Ulcer is a 2 cost status card that is destroyed when played, with no other effects, and sick a 1 cost / lose 2 resolve status card that expends when played. Both are destroyed when you sleep.

That's basically all you need to know to make a choice for this quest. Other quests are more involved or simpler, but this should give you plenty of info to start. All cards, grafts, statuses, quests, items... everything is in there for you to dig around in (and even change).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Had a Brawl Sal run where I basically broke the game wide open with 2x Inside Fighting, 1x Domination, and Shoulder Roll. Turns out when you're generating a dozen combo points per turn and can full-convert that combo into 99+ defense, you can just kind of do whatever.

Also a bunch of the later card unlocks are very powerful so if you're struggling early on and feel like you can't really do anything -- that is, apparently, by design :rolleyes:

Eh, this is the same in StS and most other card games. The new card sets start introducing new concepts that, while powerful, are kept from first time players to avoid overwhelming them. Doing a couple of failed runs, unlocking new cards, and finally beating a campaign is a pretty decent loop to start off with imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Slay the spire ascension is also per character :confused: