Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This game is lowkey awesome. I'm just leveling up everyone and unlocking cards in the main missions. It honestly took me a while to balance the game since it's not immediately obvious at first that negotiation is a means towards better fights, not a mutually complementary system. Once I learned that and threw shills at removing starting cards (and passing on cards that didn't directly enhance my chosen theme) I found a groove and I can generally have a good shot on each run at the 2-4 "prestige" or whatever the ascendancy mode is called on this.

Each character has so much personality, both in how they are drawn, animated, and voice acted, and in their fighting and negotiating cards and styles. Then you further customize how that character works through the individual campaign, and it feels organic within the rich story with tons of player choices that directly impact the ending, opportunities for mistakes, and sudden possibilities you didn't consider like having a pet dropped on you.

The art style is wonderful, the game feels balanced and challenging, overall just a joy to play. Has a steeper learning curve, obviously, but it rewards competency much better than Slay the Spire or Monster Train. Can't say how it holds up to mechanic mastery as I haven't gotten there in any of the games.

Overall great game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Glazius posted:

Smith's guide to picking stuff up on the street:

SANDWICH - yes! (don't eat it and you can get a bunch of money or make a friend)
DAGGER - HESH NO (cornered by 3 50-health spree revvers. On day 2. what the hesh)

My first sandwich opportunity I ate it cause why not? Free sandwich! Ran into someone looking for it and did a negotiation to get more info on it, turns out they hid money in it to dodge patrols, so later when I had a poo poo on the side of the road I dug the money out. Such a tiny little decision tree but full of fun flavor.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Smith took a while to click for me - the big break I had was realizing that it feels like his fights scale up hard quickly and the game pushes you into negotiation so I was going into fights with few good resources since his starting battle deck is garbage.

Get into a few more fights early even if someone will dislike you to try to get one or two good attacks and thin your deck by getting destroy on elbow strikes and such. Moxie is also a sleeper power house - you don’t have the card based defense of Sal or the charge defense of Rook so you have to mitigate. His damage also doesn’t come as easily as bleed / charge spending so you need to build some bottle work in and get some consistent attacks early.

His negotiation game is super good though - if you can get a bit of influence generation his diplomacy goes nuts or just lean heavily into hostility if the cards go your way. Smiths hostility style is much less rig / gamble dependent than Rook’s

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Walla posted:

Yeah I kept dying by Day 3 because I had no block. It was finally on my last run that I started leaning into Moxie. Also I always end up with large decks full of trash while I figure out what works with what and 35+ card decks just don't do well unless half of it expends or destroys itself.

Yeah I try to stay in the low twenties of most decks with the exception of replenish cards and items. A thin deck is a healthy deck - tons of cash goes into removing cards. Every card removed makes every other card better because it then comes up more often.