Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

New patch today with Smith's third day: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/126528-griftlands-smith-day-3-available-now/

I like to challenge myself to runs where I try and see what's the most number of people who can die in a play-through. So far my record is 50 with Sal. The repeated ambush mission helps a lot with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

As someone who pretty much 100 percented the game before release, I am underwhelmed that the only extra release content was Smith's final day and some extra npcs/redesigns. But I am glad so many more people are getting on board. The story clearly has more places it can go. I do wonder if they'll go the dlc route or just fast-track a sequel now the groundwork is done.

The prestige level grind sucks. I do wish all the difficulties were open to pick from at the start. The runs can be so long, the fact that you have to do seven of them with each character blows. I posted last page, but I make my fun by seeing how many people I can end up killing in a single run. The key for extra dead is to hire people to help you in fights and let them die as well as killing your opponents. Hard to pull off though, but I'm up to 52 with Sal.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Just beat my death record tonight. Once you guys finish most of the game, you'll start making your own arbitrary challenges to keep playing interesting too.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

this game received less fanfare than i was expecting

You can use the number of steam reviews as a very rough gauge of how many people have played or bought the game. It has almost 9k reviews, so I have to think a lot of people did end up buying it and trying it out. Monster Train has 12k.

I really really love it, but I have 200 hours in now and don't feel the need to beat every prestige level for Rook and Smith after doing it once for Sal. Ultimately, the game just isn't dynamic enough to get people hooked on it the same way as StS. The number of granular things to unlock in the compendium or all the meddle bonuses could be off putting as well. Even with the ton that I've played, my people tab is at 92%, boss is 84%, and graft is 94%. You really have to go out of your way to 100% absolutely everything and that's pretty lame.

I do hope there end up being some great mods or dlc to keep things going. But Don't Starve is such a cash cow for the studio that they might just keep working on that.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Personally, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of weird self-imposed gimmick/challenge runs, like "kill everyone you ever have a chance to kill, including Wanted Alive targets," "win the game while disliked or hated by as many people as humanly possible," and my personal favourite, "the Bog Knows! Cram your deck absolutely full of every lovely item, egg, and secret you can ever get your hands on. Become the Bog. Usurp the Bog. All hail Rook"

I was saying the same thing a few pages back. Maybe the game needs extra achievements or ways to change gameplay if you reach certain goalposts.

I'm up to 61 dead with Sal as my highest count on any character, any prestige. The key is to use the once per day hire a friend perk and allow them to die every day. Then double down and try to hire people from the meat market and allow them to die too. Always side with the spree since their base is a bar that often has people that will hate you in it, so you can fight them. The limited time ambush event only pops up if a spree person at least likes you, so you'll want to drink with those guys when you can. Do that, and it comes down to luck if you can get the main mission where you ambush groups of people to rob them.