Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Where I live, in Michigan, the place to go on a long weekend or over holidays is "up north," which means anywhere north of where you live. Here in MI, it turns more into forest and lakes as you go north.

This essentially means that there is traffic every week, northbound on Friday and southbound on Sunday.

I have often wondered if other states have the same kind of general spot that everyone goes to - especially states with no coastline. Where do you go? Does it change with the seasons? Where are you headed right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Headed to pound town, OP

E. On a highway to hell (a/k/a I-5 to LA).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dicksville PA

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's coming out at both ends over here as people are going up to Maine and down to The Cape. It's Massachusetts.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I love the north. Every moment I've spent in the boreal forest has been a great one

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i just go south to mexico OP

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
On Ontario "up north" usually means a few hours north of Toronto which is all wooded areas, lakes, campgrounds, etc. I highly recommend Algonquin Park but if you are a novice PLEASE follow the rules and maybe don't leave the tourist areas as even experienced campers get lost.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Where does your "up north" end? Or does it go forever?

Kind of a silly question I guess but here in MI we are clearly bounded by the lakes and everything on the other side of them may as well not exist.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was pleasantly surprised how nice Canada was during the summer especially the Ottawa and how everyone just hangs out on sandy lake beaches drinking beer.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
If you live in Chicago or its burbs, the main places to go are SW Michigan and northern Wisconsin/UP.

I spent two entire summers in the UP when I was a kid, and those are some of my fondest memories. Mainly spent it walking through fields and logging areas with the farm dog or throwing apples into the river for it to chase.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Where does your "up north" end? Or does it go forever?

Kind of a silly question I guess but here in MI we are clearly bounded by the lakes and everything on the other side of them may as well not exist.

You can't go any more North than the North Pole. After that every direction is south.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i liek to go to the beach (:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
In maryland people go downy ocean every weekend

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ice beach pic before we set off on a day Kayak trip in May

Ice fishing and drinking beer

Kayaking and pelicans half a decade ago when I watched what I ate, cared about my health and wasn't married (/had free time)

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

When I was young I remember going out with my Dad and being impressed at how he always seemed to know where he was going. It used to amaze me that he didn't get lost. I asked how he knew and he said "it's easy, north is uphill and south is downhill".

That's why I never go up north, sounds like way too much effort.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I live in central VA so it's a weird split. "North" is folks going to DC, "East" is the beach/Williamsburg, "South" is Charlotte to Charelston, "West" is the mountains/Charlottesville.

Isn't Mackinack all hosed up now? I used to go ther all the time as a kid but one of my friends mentioned the beaches are all messed up.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

It's very touristy up there with Mackinac Island, but I don't think I would call it "messed up." Not sure what your friend is referring to, but it's been a few years since I've been on the island.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty much any direction will you take you somewhere worthwhile for the weekend, except east, that just takes you to Bakersfield which is hot, boring, and full of Bakersfieldians.

As for where I'm heading right now? The bathroom I gotta take a poo poo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
:woop:

I'm going up north, first to the northern part of the Lower Peninsula, then to the Upper Peninsula, over to Wisconsin, then south and back home.

That's all next week and I'm rather hyped. :toot:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Tony Snark posted:

Pretty much any direction will you take you somewhere worthwhile for the weekend, except east, that just takes you to Bakersfield which is hot, boring, and full of Bakersfieldians.

I thought you were staying out of bakersfield.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

The bay -> Tahoe pilgrimage and LA -> Vegas are pretty prominent ones that come to mind.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm in Michigan and I'm going Up North next week for vacation and when I get to the Soo (Sault Ste Marie MI) I ain't stopping. Going to Canada, eh! We have a family cabin on an island on a lake in northern Ontario.

Also, life goal is to have a place Up North wherever it may be.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
I live in a dying vacation town "Up North" in Canada, and work at a museum in a less-dying tourist town. We're busy as gently caress this time of year.

Most American tourists are at least semi-decent people. We just hate the ones who act like walking stereotypes and/or do stuff like insist they 'won' the war of 1812 :canada:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
My vacation is in the bottom of a bottle of booze, OP

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Up is a bad direction. Everyone knows you have to go down to get to all the best vacation spots.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Part-Time Maenad posted:

I live in a dying vacation town "Up North" in Canada, and work at a museum in a less-dying tourist town. We're busy as gently caress this time of year.

Most American tourists are at least semi-decent people. We just hate the ones who act like walking stereotypes and/or do stuff like insist they 'won' the war of 1812 :canada:

The White house wasn't set on fire. They just had a malfunction with the victory fireworks

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Debunk This! posted:

Up is a bad direction. Everyone knows you have to go down to get to all the best vacation spots.

I dunno Mars sounds like a pretty sweet vacation

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Part-Time Maenad posted:

I don't think most Americans even know there was a war in 1812.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

sweet thursday posted:

The White house wasn't set on fire. They just had a malfunction with the victory fireworks

yeah, that we were going to launch, 'cause your asses got kicked :mmmsmug:.

f'real though it was just a senseless proxy war that resulted in nothing except more senseless death for nationalism and colonization.

JEEVES420 posted:

I don't think most Americans even know there was a war in 1812.

Neither did the Brits really, even back in 1812. :canada:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Everybody here seems to go to Myrtle Beach or OBX. I grew up in VA Beach, not a great town, but as a result I really have no desire to go to an oceanfront area on vacation.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Part-Time Maenad posted:

yeah, that we were going to launch, 'cause your asses got kicked :mmmsmug:.

f'real though it was just a senseless proxy war that resulted in nothing except more senseless death for nationalism and colonization.

Neither did the Brits really, even back in 1812. :canada:

I am a proud prairie man :canada:

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Posting to honor the lurker. Um, I go to the beach, traffic is always bad no what here, it's nonsensical, and I've never been to the Grand Canyon on vacation which is pretty dumb because I like rocks and geology.
*girl nerd*

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Spins posted:

Posting to honor the lurker. Um, I go to the beach, traffic is always bad no what here, it's nonsensical, and I've never been to the Grand Canyon on vacation which is pretty dumb because I like rocks and geology.
*girl nerd*

I like to find somewhere that something cool has happened to hit their museums and poo poo. Or when it comes to rocks and stuff, anywhere with caverns rules. The blue ridge here in VA has several caverns that are pretty neat. Plus it's a great activity for when it's hot as fuuuuuuck because they're always pretty cool inside.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Honky Dong Country posted:

I like to find somewhere that something cool has happened to hit their museums and poo poo. Or when it comes to rocks and stuff, anywhere with caverns rules. The blue ridge here in VA has several caverns that are pretty neat. Plus it's a great activity for when it's hot as fuuuuuuck because they're always pretty cool inside.

Carlsbad Caverns, NM was the poo poo.
Still remember parts of that day like a movie I watched last night.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah caves in general rule. GIS'd Carlsbad and man that looks huge.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Honky Dong Country posted:

The temperature inside the caves is nice, too.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I thought you were staying out of bakersfield.

:vince:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you're on North Pole, going up north just means following the axis straight 90* up off the ground until you hit some stellar body or other

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Pretty sure the North Pole keeps moving. This could be an issue for folks this holiday season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Tony Snark posted:

The guy that wrote this song was stranded there for two days with nothing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB7oUI32E1Y