Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Or star war dark soul which is the title of the game I am playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ghost of tsushima is extremely good. yes its very hyped right now but imo it lives up to the hype and then some

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

This game had a great atmosphere for the first 3/4 of the game or so. The last levels were garbage.
Playing that game with headphones was awesome.
I played this when it first came out almost 20 years ago and I still remember how unnerving the level is were you can hear the sister humming or singing a song while you work your way to her coffin.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 21, 2020

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I might have missed something checking through the thread, but has anyone brought up Persona 5 yet? That's a game where even the menus are more interesting to look at than most games in total. The whole aesthetic is a crazy mix of film noir, techno, graffiti, and ransom notes. I can't say it any better than the Eurogamer review by Cassandra Khaw did:

quote:

What you need to understand about Persona 5 is that it's not stylish, it is style incarnate. It is the alpha and omega of menu design, a masterclass in exquisite camerawork, the scripture which future pundits will invoke when discussing topics like, "When saving the game, do we really need an innocuous two-second animation most people will miss?"

(Yes. The answer is yes.)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Videoball is the perfect fusion of low-fi videogame aesthetics with televised sports aesthetics. The gameplay has a great look as well; the trails left by triangles, the bounce of the balls, and the spin of an out of control player is all very grade-school-notebook-doodle by way of flat vector graphics. And the music is exactly perfectly suited for the game around it.

https://youtu.be/dUxJspLDWdw

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I liked Bioshock 3 it was pretty and I liked the level design.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I’m sure it’s been said a million times but Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was so good. lovely 90s LA was incredibly fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dkj posted:

I’m sure it’s been said a million times but Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was so good. lovely 90s LA was incredibly fun.

Hell yes.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I liked the forest aesthetics and the music of Secret of Mana and it’s sequel. The combat wasn’t complex or difficult, so even if they weren’t perfect games overall, it all added up to a special super chill experience.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Portal 1 is fine, you have the classic, minimalist look of the test chambers and some of the "behind the scenes" areas.

Portal 2 is fantastic. The first third of the game is mostly a rehash of the first, but with the added twist of the chambers being dilapidated and being re-assembled as you're in them, which is pretty cool. The game really starts to shine, though, in the second act. Up to this point, the game feels like a solid, but not totally inspired rehash. But then you're sent down into the forgotten bowels of the facility, and you progress through its past from the 1940's through early 1980's. Even though it's a comedy game, they absolutely nailed the unsettling, creepy, and isolated feel of stumbling into these sealed off, long since forgotten facilities. Each era of Aperture's past is represented in a massive sphere testing structure, and as you progress through them you see the changes in aesthetics of the era in addition to their improvement of building the testing facilities, which gradually get a little less janky and makeshift. The sections where you traverse between the spheres through "off limits" areas are equally cool and unsettling, especially when you get views of the entire old facility, where it's incredible size is extremely foreboding. The ambient sounds for this section are also equally well done and creepy.

Portal 2 subverted expectations in all the right ways and I hope most people who have played it went in not knowing what to expect.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Laslow posted:

I liked the forest aesthetics and the music of Secret of Mana and it’s sequel. The combat wasn’t complex or difficult, so even if they weren’t perfect games overall, it all added up to a special super chill experience.

yeah secret of mana's strongest point are the areas you fight in and the music, i liked the upper lands the most i think

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

secret of evermore though, that's where the real meat is. soundtrack is mostly ambient with subtle melodies (except in a few big dungeons), areas are very moody

i particularly like how it combines music and areas to create a certain effect. for example, there's a market in nobilia and when you walk around there you can hear a buzz of voices of tradesmen shouting, hens in cages clucking and goats bleating, and just a general commotion. then when you walk away from the market you get to an empty city square and the sound of the market dies down to a murmur and instead you get the sound of birds and wind blowing across the tiles, complete with an echo effect because the square is lined with buildings. it's really not something the average player would notice but it's beautiful sound design and gives you a real sense of being in a place, even with little detail on the screen.

the soundtrack was made by jeremy soule who would use some of the same techniques for morrowind, i just really like everything the guy has made

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Secret of Evermore is hella underrated for its ambience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znyb7vltVAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG8GYQm1lxg

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?
Destiny 2 - particularly The Pyramidion - has some great aesthetics:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

The line about reusing the old test chambers after 'shaking all the skeletons out' still makes me laugh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kennedy posted:

Destiny 2 - particularly The Pyramidion - has some great aesthetics:

Destiny 2 is gorgeous. I played through the first single player but as it was excellent too,, I was sad they f2p'd it so hard.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

i must compose posted:

I like death stranding because it reminds me of the movie stalker. Everything looks really beautiful and empty but recognizably set on earth.

Yoji Shinkawa's cybernetic designs have always been cool in the Metal Gear games but I'm especially liking the contrast between his understated yet futuristic look and the desolate feel of the world map. The auto-delivery robots are a good example, they're absurd from a basic conceptual standpoint but designed in a way that you can imagine an actual engineer creating them for purpose with technology that either already exists or isn't too far off.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yoji Shinkawa's cybernetic designs have always been cool in the Metal Gear games but I'm especially liking the contrast between his understated yet futuristic look and the desolate feel of the world map. The auto-delivery robots are a good example, they're absurd from a basic conceptual standpoint but designed in a way that you can imagine an actual engineer creating them for purpose with technology that either already exists or isn't too far off.

they look like the natural evolution of boston dynamics stuff

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RequiredLimpingInchworm-mobile.mp4
A weapon to surpass Metal Gear...

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
Everytime I look around, I see
So much fakeness goin down
There are many but one I dont see mentioned often in these discussions, GTA 4 was really immersive for me when it came out and had a cool, dark / almost noir Eastern European immigrant gangster story.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I'm surprised the Dishonored games aren't getting more love ITT. I'm not saying it's high art, but all the aesthetic elements of the games are lovingly crafted to work together, from the atmosphere to the character art to the setting to the lighting.

Most importantly it's one of the few major game series I can think of with a singular aesthetic. Most big games--even the really good ones--seem to have at least one aesthetic element that is overwhelmingly generic--whether it's all the interchangeable iterations of the dragon-strewn fantasy settings, or the trillionth rehash of teenaged jrpg heroes discovering themselves as they save the world. The dishonored games feel uniquely themselves, even when they are dealing with tropes like evil empires and the gravelly-voiced-white-male-protagonist-who-plays-by-his-own-rules-because-he-has-nothing-left-to-lose.

Also love the way the old LucasArts adventure games made ridiculous things look and feel natural, both artistically and in gameplay.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Day of the Tentacle's wild and expressionistic outlines will always hold a special place in my heart. I like the softer look of Monkey Island 3, but DotT looks like it just exploded like a can of snakes

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

SoR Blaze posted:

Day of the Tentacle's wild and expressionistic outlines will always hold a special place in my heart. I like the softer look of Monkey Island 3, but DotT looks like it just exploded like a can of snakes

:yeah:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

Just having played that,

as well. Also big props for maintaining the same setting and general layout but in three wildly different time periods, I loved the design.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Doo-doo-doot-doo-doo-do-do...

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I really loved the atmosphere in the first acts of Monkey Islands 1 and 2 (and Loom, now I think about it), where almost everything is a palette of black with hints of blue to show where the edges are. It's something the games had to drop when they went 3d and it's a huge loss.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

i like it when npc's start singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KsrMTeU3_k

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Some very good choices itt.

Low hanging fruit, but the original Mirror's Edge blew me away aesthetically back in like 2008, and it still looks insanely good today. Plus, paired with its minimalist electronic soundtrack and a bit of wind, ME really killed it with the sterile but coldly beautiful sort of corporate world vibe.

Mini album of stolen stuff:

https://imgur.com/a/4tNIyG6

Also, the sewer level, quasi-notoriously often some of the shittiest levels in any game, is basically art in the original ME. Probably the most woah level in any game I've ever played in terms of design. Whole thing is a visual feast though, it's basically like graphic designers were just allowed to go hog wild and run the whole show.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

dead prez posted:

There are many but one I dont see mentioned often in these discussions, GTA 4 was really immersive for me when it came out and had a cool, dark / almost noir Eastern European immigrant gangster story.

on the one hand the HD GTA games are technical marvels, otoh

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i like tw@

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I hate that Rockstar painstakingly crafts these huge realistic worlds and then fills them with cringey poo poo. At least they don't do that in RDR.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah I hate that Rockstar painstakingly crafts these huge realistic worlds and then fills them with cringey poo poo. At least they don't do that in RDR.

hehe

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like the whole atmosphere of Blasphemous. The weird torture/religion ritual thing (Catholicism) is interesting and off putting simultaneously

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh good timing for this to return. I've been enjoying the whole aesthetic of Immortals: Fenyx Rising a ton, especially so soon after spending a ton of time in AC Odyssey. It's like a cartoonier parody of ancient Greece in that game, complete with Prometheus narrating your story and Zeus providing commentary along the way. It even has cute action montages as you boil up elixirs, forge weapon upgrades, and work out to up your stamina. Super fun and good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I recently played A Place, Forbidden, a short puzzle game from the Haunted Playstation Demo Disc game jam. The basic idea is to make spooky games that evoke the aesthetic of original PSX games -- they don't actually run on the PSX, but they're meant to feel like games that could have been made for it, in some alternate timeline.

APF takes a different approach than most of the games on the disc. It's obviously doing more with textures and lightning and pushing way more polygons than the PSX ever could. However, with the screen resolution, colour depth, approach to lighting, and overall art direction, it does an absolutely fantastic job of mimicking the style of pre-rendered backgrounds from PSX games like Parasite Eve and Resident Evil. If you look at stills from it you go "oh, this is a prerendered PSX game", and in motion it's obviously a game that could never be made for the PSX, but feels instead like the backgrounds from a PSX game were somehow brought to life as an actual traversable game-world.

It's an interesting approach, and one that I suspect takes more care than just going "we'll limit this (mostly) to PSX polycounts and texture resolutions".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wow, a blast from the past :eyepop:

I've actually been thinking about this topic lately with Tears of the Kingdom being out now. It has a particular atmosphere in places that very much caught me off guard - I knew the game would have underground areas, but I was not expecting there to be an entire underworld as one continuous cavern the size of the entire game map.

It's largely unlit until you go through and (basically) turn on the lights, before that a lot of it is made up of occasional lava or "gloom" gunk that speckles a little bit of faint light over the floor. Otherwise, you have to make do bringing in lights to carry or glowing plant bulbs you can throw around to illuminate limited areas around them.

They really did a good job using the game's lighting effects in here, and overall it just has an amazing sense of impossible vastness when you're working your way through, in a way I was completely not expecting from the game.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I like tears of a kingdom because it's wonderful progressing in a make believe world where my success, or lack thereof, with romantic partners is never mentioned

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Jeza posted:

Some very good choices itt.

Low hanging fruit, but the original Mirror's Edge blew me away aesthetically back in like 2008, and it still looks insanely good today. Plus, paired with its minimalist electronic soundtrack and a bit of wind, ME really killed it with the sterile but coldly beautiful sort of corporate world vibe.

That mini album isn't working for me, but the game looked so drat good. I'm rarely blown away by art direction, but that game was beautiful. It's a shame about the sequel. I remember the ME1 art director writing a bit about how they were trying to ape the style of the original but getting a bunch wrong, and why it was wrong, but I can't seem to find it.

Lol, no wonder it doesn't work anymore, just realized I'm in a z-z-z-zombie thread! Curse you thread necromancer!

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 27, 2023

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Smugworth posted:

I like tears of a kingdom because it's wonderful progressing in a make believe world where my success, or lack thereof, with romantic partners is never mentioned

It's actually mentioned that Link and Zelda have moved in together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bramble The Mountain King has a really cute/off putting style to it that is probably better just played than me trying to explain the intricacies and technical aspects behind it. Which I could easily do, I’m very smart. I’d do a great job explaining it. I’m not an idiot. I’m not an idiot.