Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Oh and also, "'Im going to the bear pits tomorrow, you wanna come with?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Probably unpopular but Rust has a really awesome atmosphere in certain conditions. The ambient sounds, wild life sounds, and dusk/night effects make for an awesome experience.
Especially if you have a good set of headphones on and are getting blazed.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 4, 2019

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

r-type

any of the 16-bit shooting games by compile

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Space Marine captured the quintessential look and feel of the Warhammer 40k universe perfectly. I still replay it at least once a year, using mods to make Captain Titus into different chapters. So far Death Watch is the best.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like games with the "grimacing faces on walls made of slime" aesthetic, aka most dos and genesis platformers and shooters.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Whybird posted:

Loom is still one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played.

I played the poo poo out of Loom when I was a kid, because I absolutely loved the world and atmosphere. I got the Steam version awhile back but have barely played it because the audio all sounds wrong and I have such vivid memories of how the DOS version sounded that it bothered me

I also love the music and the pre-rendered backgrounds of FF7. The backgrounds have a post-apocalyptic vibe even though nothing in the game's writing points to any reason why things should appear to be post-apocalyptic. Example: the random fighter jet lying in the pile of debris in bone village

Revins fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 4, 2019

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Play Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice with some real good headphone if you want atmosphere.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Little Big Adventure 1 aka Relentless aka Twinsens Adventure is the greatest action adventure game DOS has ever had. It also had this really nice visual aesthetic that focused more on animation than textures that still stands up today plus the atmosphere was both twee and sinister, like Wind in the Willows if the Nazis had won the war and gassed all the badgers. It's on GOG too.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Whybird posted:

Loom is still one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played.

I know, its so sad the planned trilogy set in that world wasnt made (Forge would have been 2nd; cant remember what the 3rd was going to be called).

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Stocky Manhood posted:

I know, its so sad the planned trilogy set in that world wasnt made (Forge would have been 2nd; cant remember what the 3rd was going to be called).

What. I never knew there were sequels planned, that's such a bummer!!

Also PT was brilliant and that's another drat shame right there

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking glass/ion storm and specifically Warren spector games when I was a kid.

System Shock 2 made you feel like you were really trapped in a space station with a rogue AI.

Deus Ex OG was like the perfect Cyberpunk game, it came out right after the Matrix and was basically the unofficial Matrix game, made you feel like an agent fighting hacker badass.

And of course Thief being the first real 3d stealth game with realistic medieval cities and clockwork/steam punk and undead stuff. And Hammerites. Hammerites were a great satire

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Grow Home and it's sequel Grow Up have a wonderful atmosphere and I love the sort of low poly graphics and the fact that BUD can't walk very good I just love them so much

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

I played Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and the Chronicles campaign for it, like, a lot as a kid and later.

The preceding games were also decent but 3 had an absolutely beautiful atmosphere and music (especially town themes) and as far as I remember the Tarnum campaign had pretty decent writing. For a turn based strategy. To a dumb teenager.

Heroes 3 is one of those eternal games that has never been surpassed. it has a very excellent aesthetic! especially the towns

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

marijuanamancer posted:

Looking glass/ion storm and specifically Warren spector games when I was a kid.

System Shock 2 made you feel like you were really trapped in a space station with a rogue AI.

Deus Ex OG was like the perfect Cyberpunk game, it came out right after the Matrix and was basically the unofficial Matrix game, made you feel like an agent fighting hacker badass.

And of course Thief being the first real 3d stealth game with realistic medieval cities and clockwork/steam punk and undead stuff. And Hammerites. Hammerites were a great satire

And a huge part of that was excellent sound production and lighting design. Their games had pretty hideous NPC models for the most part, but I think people didnt care because they had such great atmosphere, and Looking Glass did a lot of that through lighting and sound. Im still nostalgic for the super angular NPC guards in Thief 1 though.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Unfinish3d posted:

What. I never knew there were sequels planned, that's such a bummer!!

Also PT was brilliant and that's another drat shame right there

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-26-the-twin-tales-of-forge-looms-forgotten-and-fan-made-sequel

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's easy to say, but as someone who isn't a real big 'gamer guy' or whatever, that last Red Dead Redemption was loving phenomenal.
I know there's a lot of good games out there these days, but frankly I'm just not into them. But when I do play one, and it's that good? That was a lot of fun to go through and one of those "I didn't realize they could make games like this" kind of scenarios that made me feel old being that impressed by it.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stocky Manhood posted:

And a huge part of that was excellent sound production and lighting design. Their games had pretty hideous NPC models for the most part, but I think people didnt care because they had such great atmosphere, and Looking Glass did a lot of that through lighting and sound. Im still nostalgic for the super angular NPC guards in Thief 1 though.

Yeah I think the games were all regarded as ugly even as current Gen but no one cared lol

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Ski free had a terrifying atmosphere.

Minesweeper not so much.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

marijuanamancer posted:

Yeah I think the games were all regarded as ugly even as current Gen but no one cared lol

Anachronox ran on the Quake2 engine which was ancient by the time it came out and yet they managed to make a universe that felt truly lived in. It's not exactly a great game or Ion Storms best but I have a lot of fond memories of that and Deus Ex which no modern RPG has ever come close to replicating.

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 4, 2019

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Oh yeah. Dead Space had a really great atmosphere, imo. Just wandering this derelict ship with weird music and creepy whispers in the background. I really loved that game.

The second one traded some of that isolated survivor feel for the explosions and more action-oriented sequences so it didn't feel quite so atmospheric. I never played DS3

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Alien: Isolation knocked it out of the loving park with the look and feel of the original movie.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wrageowrapper posted:

Anachronox ran on the Quake2 engine which was ancient by the time it came out and yet they managed to make t universe that felt truly lived in. It's not exactly a great game or Ion Storms best but I have a lot of fond memories of that and Deus Ex which no modern RPG has ever come close to replicating.

Haha, that was a magical time that I've always been trying to replicate with other games but nothing really compares. Deus Ex Mankind got the gameplay puzzle/stealth aspect pretty close but the story and atmosphere didn't stick with me as much. Thanks for reminding me I need to finally finish Anachronox!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

marijuanamancer posted:

Haha, that was a magical time that I've always been trying to replicate with other games but nothing really compares. Deus Ex Mankind got the gameplay puzzle/stealth aspect pretty close but the story and atmosphere didn't stick with me as much. Thanks for reminding me I need to finally finish Anachronox!

That is a bittersweet endeavor, to say the least.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm guessing there are reasons I lost interest the several times I played it over the years but it will be fun to see again

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

marijuanamancer posted:

Deus Ex was the same way

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

marijuanamancer posted:

i like what it tried to do. but you can tell the its maybe a 1/3 or 1/2 of a bigger game.

as for atomspheres. I always liked new vegas, dead space 1 and bioshock 1.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as for atomspheres. I always liked new vegas, dead space 1 and bioshock 1.
Bioshock 1 has good enough sound and art design that a lot of people managed to not even notice that the game sucked. I'm a little amazed the art deco look wasn't ripped off more.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bioshock 1 has good enough sound and art design that a lot of people managed to not even notice that the game sucked. I'm a little amazed the art deco look wasn't ripped off more.

That's why I prefer Bioshock 2. Same atmosphere, but having both a gun and a plasmid is so much better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

That's why I prefer Bioshock 2. Same atmosphere, but having both a gun and a plasmid is so much better.
I've only played 1 and 3 and didn't enjoy either, but I've heard 2 is better. I don't know how I ended up missing it.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am still holding angsty nerd grudges against bioshock because it wasn't system shock 3 and thats all i ever wanted :negative: i did enjoy 1 tho

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've only played 1 and 3 and didn't enjoy either, but I've heard 2 is better. I don't know how I ended up missing it.

It's not amazing, but it's cheap and worth a playthrough for sure.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of old angry nerd grudges. anyone remember when halo was supposed to be like team fortress combined with tribes and on PC. there was an article in a game magazine and everything. and then microsoft bought bungie and made the xbox and ruined my hopes and dreams

also team fortress 2 was supposed to be a realistic battlefield type game with like ammo support classes that actually chain fed a gunner and stuff

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Alice: Madness Returns and Samorost

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

marijuanamancer posted:

speaking of old angry nerd grudges. anyone remember when halo was supposed to be like team fortress combined with tribes and on PC. there was an article in a game magazine and everything. and then microsoft bought bungie and made the xbox and ruined my hopes and dreams

also team fortress 2 was supposed to be a realistic battlefield type game with like ammo support classes that actually chain fed a gunner and stuff

It might not be the same, but the original Halo trilogy along with Reach are all getting a fully supported PC port with multiplayer on steam at some point this year.

I remember before Half life 1 and related games switched to the steam format, HL1 had a menu link advertising TF2 with screen shots showing the early design that still used TFC models but with more generic army looking uniforms and HL1 game assets. For the longest time I would keep clicking that ad link hoping for updates. Seeing how TF2 actually was on release always bothered me, but it was still enjoyable.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

marijuanamancer posted:

i am still holding angsty nerd grudges against bioshock because it wasn't system shock 3 and thats all i ever wanted :negative: i did enjoy 1 tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdiaIRkjpI0

It's a remake, which kind of sucks. But hey it's System Shock exposed to a new gen of people. Might garner enough new interest in the series for a third installment. :shrug:

marijuanamancer posted:

Yes I do and it sucks, but the first halo was still p cool despite that.

I might be against team fortress purists on this but I'm glad team fortress 2 didn't go with the gritty realism, though the parachutes and belt feeders etc were interesting. Firearms mod picked up the slack with that kinda.

Anyone remember when TF2 was going to be humans vs aliens, kinda in the art style of timesplitters?

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 4, 2019

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I really liked the Oddworld game series.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The Real Amethyst posted:

Probably unpopular but Rust has a really awesome atmosphere in certain conditions. The ambient sounds, wild life sounds, and dusk/night effects make for an awesome experience.
Especially if you have a good set of headphones on and are getting blazed.

Rust is an awesome game, cruel, but awesome. I like building a base with windows facing a horizon not just for defense but when the night is over the sunrise marks a cool new day.

For me though, Doom is the best. Its aesthetics still work. They're complex enough to convey an atmosphere but so simple that your imagination fills in the gaps because the interface is, for the most part, smooth and transparent.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

I really liked the Oddworld game series.

That and Rainworld have good atmosphere, backgrounds.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I have a real fascination with gameworlds that have this certain aesthetic that I think is best encapsulated by Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and by extention the last guardian game though I haven't played that one. Hob looks perfect, but then the gameplay didn't grab me so I haven't picked it up yet either. On the other hand I just found RIME which nails that type of world just perfectly, and I'd like to get more recommendations along those lines.

Conversely, Little Nightmares is a brilliant platforming romp that captures dream logic and worlds in the design perfectly, with a heaping load of inspiration from Spirited Away on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

I have a real fascination with gameworlds that have this certain aesthetic that I think is best encapsulated by Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and by extention the last guardian game though I haven't played that one. Hob looks perfect, but then the gameplay didn't grab me so I haven't picked it up yet either. On the other hand I just found RIME which nails that type of world just perfectly, and I'd like to get more recommendations along those lines.

Conversely, Little Nightmares is a brilliant platforming romp that captures dream logic and worlds in the design perfectly, with a heaping load of inspiration from Spirited Away on the side.
You like large, lonely worlds, so try some of the Zeldas. I think you'd enjoy Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild a lot.