Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking glass/ion storm and specifically Warren spector games when I was a kid.

System Shock 2 made you feel like you were really trapped in a space station with a rogue AI.

Deus Ex OG was like the perfect Cyberpunk game, it came out right after the Matrix and was basically the unofficial Matrix game, made you feel like an agent fighting hacker badass.

And of course Thief being the first real 3d stealth game with realistic medieval cities and clockwork/steam punk and undead stuff. And Hammerites. Hammerites were a great satire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stocky Manhood posted:

And a huge part of that was excellent sound production and lighting design. Their games had pretty hideous NPC models for the most part, but I think people didnt care because they had such great atmosphere, and Looking Glass did a lot of that through lighting and sound. Im still nostalgic for the super angular NPC guards in Thief 1 though.

Yeah I think the games were all regarded as ugly even as current Gen but no one cared lol

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wrageowrapper posted:

Anachronox ran on the Quake2 engine which was ancient by the time it came out and yet they managed to make t universe that felt truly lived in. It's not exactly a great game or Ion Storms best but I have a lot of fond memories of that and Deus Ex which no modern RPG has ever come close to replicating.

Haha, that was a magical time that I've always been trying to replicate with other games but nothing really compares. Deus Ex Mankind got the gameplay puzzle/stealth aspect pretty close but the story and atmosphere didn't stick with me as much. Thanks for reminding me I need to finally finish Anachronox!

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm guessing there are reasons I lost interest the several times I played it over the years but it will be fun to see again

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i am still holding angsty nerd grudges against bioshock because it wasn't system shock 3 and thats all i ever wanted :negative: i did enjoy 1 tho

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of old angry nerd grudges. anyone remember when halo was supposed to be like team fortress combined with tribes and on PC. there was an article in a game magazine and everything. and then microsoft bought bungie and made the xbox and ruined my hopes and dreams

also team fortress 2 was supposed to be a realistic battlefield type game with like ammo support classes that actually chain fed a gunner and stuff

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when will someone make a cyberpunk pvp mmo where you have a freakin sweet apartment like in deus ex with a secret room and poo poo. and you can lockpick/hack into other peoples apartments. which are guarded by cameras and turrets you have to hack. and thats just the apartments guys

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's definitely a 'feel' to the early 2.5d/3d games, particularly the id engine ones, that doesn't really get recreated much. the controls in the doom and the quakes are really tight - responsive and visceral - it helps provide a sense of immersion i don't think many games have recreated successfully. many shooters are floaty in comparison

dusk gets close, also strafe is pretty close to quake 2. i've been meaning to try amid evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really want a game that brings back Loki's Minion's CTF from Quake 2. It was a really simple CTF with power ups and an offhand grappling hook that combined with bunny hopping momentum in Quake 2 let you get up to insane speeds and do a lot of fun stuff as a result.

Also the mod jailbreak where when you got fragged you goto jail, when enough people get in jail they can jump on each other to get out a vent and open the door for themselves, if someone doesn't save them first. Two oldschool multiplayer game modes that had big playerbases for the time/game i haven't seen recreated